Hua Hin Supermarkets

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Kittybarber
Novice
Novice

Hua Hin Supermarkets

Post by Kittybarber »

Hi everyone, my partner and I just moved to the Hua Hin area a few days ago and of course loving it!!
We have moved into Natural Hill Village and although a bit far from everything, the place is wonderful. My only problem so far, (I’m sure there will be more) is locating a good supermarket. Can anyone tell me besides the Tesco Lotus in the Market Village and the Makro supermarket next to Soi 4, are there any other large supermarkets, preferably down the airport end of town. Thanks
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Supermarkets

Post by Nereus »

If you do not mind paying a bit more for some items, Villa Market in the Index shopping building on Petchkasem Rd is the nearest to where you are. Big range of imported and Farang foods.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

There's also Golden Place for organic fruits and veges and Thai foods. It's in a plaza across from Index/Villa. Many of the foods are from the Royal Project started by the late King.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Not at the end of town you want, but gourmet market in Bluport is only 5 minutes from Tesco and the 2nd villa market is near San Paulo hospital. I mention this as the two don't always have like for like goods at each store.
Talk is cheap
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

caller wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 11:40 am Not at the end of town you want, but gourmet market in Bluport is only 5 minutes from Tesco and the 2nd villa market is near San Paulo hospital. I mention this as the two don't always have like for like goods at each store.
Great choice of food products, but you need deep pockets
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

There's G Supermarket, which is often competitively price - biggest I think is near the crazy railway crossing. Also there's what I remember as probably the original Hua Hin Supermarket situated in the old shopping mall.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
nil
Professional
Professional

Post by nil »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 11:42 am
caller wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 11:40 am Not at the end of town you want, but gourmet market in Bluport is only 5 minutes from Tesco and the 2nd villa market is near San Paulo hospital. I mention this as the two don't always have like for like goods at each store.
Not if you stick to the basics. Same price or cheaper than Tesco's
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

nil wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 12:44 pm
Dannie Boy wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 11:42 am
Not if you stick to the basics. Same price or cheaper than Tesco's
you might as well go to Makro then because the majority of their basics are cheaper than Tesco’s.
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Hua Hin Supermarkets

Post by caller »

I find they all provide a different service.

Makro in Hua Hin doesn't have a great range of farang goods, probably because of the competition in town. But it's where I bulk buy water, soft drinks and a few other bits and bobs. I like their wholewheat bread and croissants.

Tesco's has a ludicrously poor range of farang goods, but I get teabags from their finest range (which are great value), their 6 seeds muesli and red onion chutney! Also good prices for fruit and veg. Cheapest regular supplier of blueberries! But I really hate Tesco in Thailand, they are all very shoddy wherever you go.

Villa Market is the treats shop - all the little things you want to spoil yourself with from home. Good quality meat. Great selection of frozen products as well.

Gourmet Market is my regular shop because it's the nearest to where I live. I don't think prices are much different to anywhere else to be honest and if you have a store card, you get regular discounts. Cheapest place to buy my (alcohol free) beer by 4 Baht per can and best beer selection in town and large wine store.
Talk is cheap
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Gourmet market is much more expensive than other markets. I don't buy alcohol so I wont comment on that. Ex: Canola oil spread at Makro is 89 bht. and at Gourmet it's 99 bht. Not a big difference but when you buy 20 products at a 10 bht. increase it adds up. The membership card does give you a 5% discount as does a Bangkok Bank visa card. The nuts and dried fruits are also much more expensive. Most fruits and vegetables are far more expensive than Makro. Of course there are many products available at Gourmet that can't be found elsewhere. It all depends on what you want and what you can afford. Sometimes those 2 things aren't compatible.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I make no secret of my hate of shopping, but Mrs BB drags me around (screaming) all the same. I also hate to be ripped off, so I keep a close eye on what goes into the shopping basket.

For the items we regularly buy, I can honestly say that while Gourmet Market may have the odd item at a similar price to the rest, the majority of items are significantly more expensive, so shopping there for us is very rare. I think we'd be stupid to go there to spend more money.

The majority of our shopping is done in Tesco (it's close), but we occasionally nip in to Makro if we're in the area - prices are comparable.

Villa Market is generally quite expensive, but useful if a product is not available elsewhere, in fact it is cheaper for Flora Margarine. Swede is actually about 100 Baht/Kg more expensive than Makro.

We used to use the old Shopping Mall quite regularly, but since the car park closed, its too much hassle to get there.

G Supermarket provides some substantial discounts. Their drinking water is by far the cheapest around, although currently trumped by the current Tesco offer. Their shaving foam is very competitive. Instant coffee can also provide significant savings.

Other places we shop:
  • Hua Hin Ham & Bacon - for sausages, ham and pies.
  • AP Interfoods - for cheese, dried peas and suet.
  • 7-11 - for anti-perspirant (incredibly cheap compared to any of the others)
I think the message I'm trying to portray is shop around. With the exception of Gourmet, there are savings to be made.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I hate shopping even more than BB, I just eat the Thai food that my partner gets from the local market. The only reason that I'm on this thread is because the only supermarket I've been to in Hua Hin recently hasn't been mentioned and that's the Big C on the Pulau U road where I had to go when the dog food ran out on a Sunday!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

handdrummer wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 4:51 pm Most fruits and vegetables are far more expensive than Makro.
I wouldn't dispute that. For fruit and veg I know Makro and Tesco are cheaper. But for basics I don't agree.

But this takes us back to the OP's query for places near her. For me, any saving I can make at Makro for fruit and veg - and I do buy there when doing my bulk shop - is negated by the time, cost and hassle of getting there, considering I live SW of town at the far end of 112 from town. Normally, but not always, when I go to Makro, it's to the one at Pranburi, which is much quicker and easier for me and has all I want, but isolates me for anything else!
Talk is cheap
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Distance makes a difference. I'm halfway between Bluport/MV & Makro and driving Klong Rd. is easier than Petchkasem.
HHcolin
Amateur
Amateur

Post by HHcolin »

Question about Makro, do you have to have a membership card or is it the same as a normal supermarket, it would be handy for me as i'm moving near by.