Are the police trying something new?

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Today, I noticed something I've never seen before. Police cars patrolling the town with loudspeakers blaring. At first I thought they were supplementing their pay by selling fruit and veg.

As it was all in Thai, I had to ask my wife what they were saying. Surprisingly, they were warning all motorcyclists that they must wear helmets and their passenger must also have a helmet on. This implies yet another unenforced law - no more than two on a bike. Does this mean they are going to follow it up with real enforcement? Noticing all the bikes around the police car without helmets and carrying families, and also the fact that none of the police drivers I saw were wearing seat belts, I very much doubt it.

Let's see if motorbike taxis start carrying a spare helmet as they do in other cities in Thailand.

It would be refreshing if they really went to town on enforcing just one of the traffic laws then maybe enforcement of other laws would follow.

I think I'm dreaming.
Jockey
Banned
Banned

Post by Jockey »

:shock: Tel - WAKE UP - it was all a dream.......
buksida

Post by buksida »

Was this only in Cha-am or have you posted it in the wrong forum?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

No this was in Hua Hin during the afternoon going into early evening.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Happened near the mrket at 5am the other day

Everyone seemed to turn a blind eye and laughed
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

richard wrote:Happened near the mrket at 5am the other day

Everyone seemed to turn a blind eye and laughed
Until they start fining people. I can remember when this "frontier town" started doing riders years ago. Everyone laughed until the police became more strict about it. Nowadays, there's very rarely a rider in the centre of town without a helmet - mind you that's common sense as has been said so many times on this forum.
It's only a question of time as the town gets bigger and busier. It's no longer that sleepy backwater that it might have been years ago and it's the law????
Sabai Jai
Professional
Professional

Post by Sabai Jai »

Well probably not...the cynics reply 'Well it is getting near the end of the month' but of course they probably wouldn't warn people if that was the aim.

I recall a number of 'Clamp downs' over the years; helmets, insurance, tax, six on a bike etc but things fairly quickly slip back into the usual routine.

The Tedsabahn used to make long annoucements via a network of loudspeakers, my Thai is not good enough to understand what they are on about. I'm not sure if that still goes on. Perhaps the loudspeaker near my favourite Hotel has been 'damaged'

SJ
buksida

Post by buksida »

If its about revenue - which obviously is with Thai police - they would make a fortune if they had a couple of patrol cars cruising the road between Takiab and Pranburi and fining everyone that drives like a twat.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
KelpieKiss
Banned
Banned

Post by KelpieKiss »

I heard they tried filming a Thai version of 'The Bill' but had to give up as there's only so many ways you can shoot a guy asleep in a police box. :wink:
The understudy
Ace
Ace

Post by The understudy »

[quote="buksida"]If its about revenue - which obviously is with Thai police - they would make a fortune if they had a couple of patrol cars cruising the road between Takiab and Pranburi and fining everyone that drives like a twat.[/quote]
Greetings Master Buksida

He He Agreeing with you the understudy does!
plus enforcing laws on helmets they should!
In Love with Hua Hin since 19naughty9 and it ain't fading!!!
(My fable for All Things Japanese knows no boundaries!) Proud Student of Stamford University Hua Hin Campus from 1999 to 2004 (5th Batch of Graduates.)
“Once you survive Stamford U Hua Hin Campus only you can survive anything!!!”
redstar2910
Rookie
Rookie

Post by redstar2910 »

HHtel
I was getting a motorbike taxi home last week from beside burger king and as we came up towards the traffic lights,he grabbed a spare helmet from his basket and told me to put it on.ive never seen it before and havnt seen it since and i travel daily by taxis.ive been told that they will clamp down on motorbike taxis carrying spares but i would think not [/img][/b]