Dirty municipal water

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
wpcoe
Professional
Professional

Dirty municipal water

Post by wpcoe »

It may be pure coincidence, but at about this same time last year, rust-color water was delivered from the municipal water supply on Soi 80, and today it has started again. Both times, naturally, I found out via a washing machine full of laundry.

Checking with a few neighbors, they all are experiencing the same but they have a more "mai pen rai" attitude. I'm irritated. Last year, I threw out a (previously) white mattress pad cover because the stains were so bad.

If I knew the source of the contamination I might be a bit more casual. If it's minerals/rust that's not so dangerous, but if it's a mixing of some unsanitary debris (e.g. excreta or other bacteria-laden organic debris,) that's a real cause for concern. I wash my dishes, do my laundry and take showers in this stuff!

Any idea what the cause is? I only moved here April last year, but this so far is an annual event. Is it localized to just my soi, or is it city-wide?
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Re: Dirty municipal water

Post by usual suspect »

Dunno about the 'timing' of such supply of 'dirty water' but it DOES happen with us also..2 days ago the water was like mud!..yes, I only found out when looking into washing-machine!!
The Thais down our street tend to (once it has been noticed) warn every household about the crappy water comin' thru'.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

We always have clear water in the house and all we have is the big "silver bullet" gross water filter that takes out the big stuff. They're not that expensive and ours has done a good job for the last six years with literally no service, just occasional back washing. There's a thread about it on here somewhere with photos and brand names.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Farang
Ace
Ace

Post by Farang »

Often the source of impurities in water is one's own water tank sedimentation. There are small amount of impurities in regular water delivery. These sediment in the bottom of the tank and are not disturbed when the tank is always full. When the tank runs nearly dry and then water gushes in the tank, the disturbed sediment is mixed with the water. That is why all above ground water tanks have a bottom valve to flush out the bottom sedimentation couple of times a year.
"There's no plausible or convincing reason, certainly no evidential one, to believe that there is such an entity (= deity) and that all observable phenomena, including the cosmological ones... are explicable without the hypothesis; you don't need the assumption."
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Farang wrote: When the tank runs nearly dry and then water gushes in the tank, the disturbed sediment is mixed with the water. That is why all above ground water tanks have a bottom valve to flush out the bottom sedimentation couple of times a year.
Oooh, thanks for the reminder! :cheers:
This is the way
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

wpcoe wrote:they have a more "mai pen rai" attitude. I'm irritated.

You are lucky to be getting any water at all. :shock: I'd get on my knees and thank God if the municipality could give me water of any color, even if only for one day a week. :banghead:

Three months and still no water. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Anyway, it's probably due to your tank rather than the actual supply.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Have you seen the banner ad at the top of this thread? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
This is the way
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

dtaai-maai wrote:Have you seen the banner ad at the top of this thread? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Not having access to your particular computer at the particular time you made that post makes it difficult to work out which particular banner you've been privy too :P
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

^^Hadn't thought that through - it was for a water supplier... :naughty:
This is the way
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Here is a typical large particle filter which will remove particles and most of the brown in your water. Place in line between your meter and tank, or meter and house if direct water feed.

Cost about 4,000 with filter, and new filters about 1,200. A filter will last a year unless your water is from the black lagoon of hell.

Red turn valve on the right cuts water to the unit. The blue lower canister just unscrews after releasing pressure via the red button visible on top. After cleaning and re-affixing, open red feed valve about halfway and hold down pressure button to release air as unit is filling. Pete :cheers:

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the filter and canister should be cleaned (hose rinse) about every 2 weeks.
Image 1.jpg
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

dtaai-maai wrote:Have you seen the banner ad at the top of this thread? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
They're selling water but unfortunately they're in Omaha, Nebraska!
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Here's the thread I mentioned before:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17506&p=206096&hil ... er#p206096

These Mazuma filters don't require near the work or expense once installed that Pete mentioned above. We've had ours for six years and all I've done is back wash it every six weeks or so for 5 to 10 minutes and it keeps the water (from an in ground tank) crystal clear.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Yes, I fitted a filter a couple of months ago and it seems to work very well and the one I've got even backwashes itself. The best thing you can do if you have a dodgy water supply is build a large inground tank and get a good filter.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

We had no water for a few days but our neighbours were getting it.
Called the water board out and they sent an engineer round. He took the meter apart and found a Brillo pad/scrouer in there,
We've now got a water supply.
Just how the bloody scourer got there, well heaven knows.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

hhfarang wrote:Here's the thread I mentioned before:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17506&p=206096&hil ... er#p206096

These Mazuma filters don't require near the work or expense once installed that Pete mentioned above. We've had ours for six years and all I've done is back wash it every six weeks or so for 5 to 10 minutes and it keeps the water (from an in ground tank) crystal clear.
Yes, for sure there are better filters out there in many price ranges. The one pictured is adequate for water that is usually OK with a few hiccups per year usually caused by water line maintenance when dirt enters the system, and when space for a larger unit is a problem. It's cost is also low enough that if you're renting a house for a year or two it's not a big loss if you just leave it when you move out. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source