Dirty municipal water

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
wpcoe
Professional
Professional

Re: Dirty municipal water

Post by wpcoe »

prcscct wrote:Here is a typical large particle filter which will remove particles and most of the brown in your water. Place in line between your meter and tank, or meter and house if direct water feed.
I will be deciding within the month if I will be staying in this townhouse. If I do, I think I will give some serious thought to a filter like that, even though this place is a rental.

Is this brown muck really "large particle"? I would consider large particle to be things like sand, or visible flecks of rubbish.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

By large particle I meant substances that make your water brown...sand, mud, dissolved dirt etc., that get into the water system. It's good for just about anything like that, but not down to the bacteria or chemical level. The filter inside looks like a large roll of fax paper with fins and baffles. I think it's some kind of nylon/cloth composite. Not hard to clean as mentioned above, but you'll never get all the tan/brown stain off and really no need to clean it that deeply. Even with the stains the water coming out the other end is clear. To clarify, the above price of about 4,000 baht includes your first filter. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
blue05
Guru
Guru

Post by blue05 »

last few days I have been getting brown water, not too happy, spoke to landlord, got the usual response, no problem
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

It's usually due to maintenance of the water mains somewhere further down the line. If they have to break and replace pipes, there's bound to be some earth (due to the digging) that will get into the system. It usually clears up not long after said work is finished.
วินเชนท์
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

blue05 wrote:last few days I have been getting brown water, not too happy, spoke to landlord, got the usual response, no problem

I'm not trying to be funny or anything, but what is the landlord meant to do about dirty mains water? :shock:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Calguy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Calguy »

I have read on this forum about water shortages in HH and now this. Are there similar problems in other parts? Are there any participants from other than HH here? I am trying to retire in Thailand but so far between water problems, terrible HH traffic ( I've been there) and internet problems I've read of, I am reconsidering.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Calguy, we are mainly expats with little else to do but moan to keep ourselves happy :D

Regarding the stated problems, if you don't know the answer already, then I would definitely suggest you reconsider the big move. I would not recommend anybody travelling half way around the world unless they knew what they were letting themselves in for.

You need to get yourself here for a few months to find out for yourself.

Personally, I've lived here 3 months now. haven't had a water problem. Thailand traffic is Thailand traffic - if you can't hack it, then don't join. Internet is not that bad - I've had a few problems in the 3 months I've been here, but have generally had good service. just make sure you have some sort of backup e.g. 3G stick for when your main service goes down.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Calguy wrote:I have read on this forum about water shortages in HH and now this. Are there similar problems in other parts? Are there any participants from other than HH here? I am trying to retire in Thailand but so far between water problems, terrible HH traffic ( I've been there) and internet problems I've read of, I am reconsidering.
Further to what BB has said, this is a 3rd world country and is likely to remain so for many years into the future. There are all kinds of utility disruptions throughout the country, even in Bangkok from time to time. They are way behind in infrastructure development concerning water supply, waste water treatment, land line telephone service, internet etc. The electrical grid is OK due to all the industry here, but not up to western standards.

It's really not all that bad if you can adapt and remain patient. If not, a place like Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan, Korea, Taiwan and perhaps some parts of Malaysia would be better for you. As BB said, come for a month or so and see what you think. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Ive lived here for almost a year but had a house here for considerably longer and never experienced anything other than occasional and minor interruptions to services. The traffic can be bad at times, especially at weekends and Thai holidays, but that's the same in most countries - I have spent many an hour stuck on the M25 in the UK so you just have to grin and bear it - you can have peace and tranquility, but with it everything else also disapears. Best advice has already been given - come for a 3 month trial and see how you get on.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Calguy
I've been here more than twenty years and am based in Bangkok. It doesn't matter where you are, you will face similar problems throughout the country, just grin and bear it.

Re water cuts/ shortages... ( a few anecdotes from my time around the country)
1. My wife's mother's place way up past Nakorn Sawan and near a river: Raw river water was pumped only during certain hours of the day; you needed large earthenware jars to store this for bathing, cooking,etc. You paid a fixed amount every month to pay for the cost of running the pump. It's improved somewhat over the years.
2. Stayed at a friend's rubber estate 30 km from the nearest road in Chantaburi. Water was stored in a cement tank; you used a small bucket to slosh this over you when bathing. Water was artesian water so looked quite yellow and soap didn't work very well.
3. Attending a funeral out in the boonies near Singburi, you actually had to bathe by the river. Bit difficult if you're not used to it (I certainly am not) wearing a sarong out in the open and trying to soap under it...

Re traffic..
Sigh. Grin and bear it. Having said that, most roads (even upcountry) are in good condition and are reasonably well maintained, so you can stay on the speed limit and not keep your eye open for stray potholes even on minor roads. But then again, who stays on the speed limit upcountry, eh?

Though people may say it's rather 'third-world' here, you can get modern health care when you need it at reasonable cost, though this may be more in Bangkok than anywhere else.

Horses for courses.
วินเชนท์
Cing Jai

Post by Cing Jai »

I just moved from Cha Am and I know they are building a new water treatment plant there. There is silt (sand/mud) in the water all the time. Having a tank, Cha Am doesn't have the water shortages HH has so it's not mandatory, helps settle the sediment and clean the water some. For years this dirt in the water has been present, according to locals, so it has coated the delivery network. Now, even after they finish the treatment plant and are delivering clean water all people's tanks will have to be flushed and the pump pressure tanks just replaced. Those corrode inside and should be treated as disposable if more than a couple years old.

I'm not sure if this new treatment plant is supposed to serve HH too but it would seem stupid not to with the water shortages problems here. Of course TiT so I wouldn't put it past them. I have an under the house tank in HH. The water is pretty clean at home but I see the silt in the water that doesn't have a chance to settle at other places. It's *much* less than the water in Cha Am.

So, the silt comes from the construction on the water system and the construction has been ongoing, every year supposedly finishing next year, for several years now.
Cing Jai

Post by Cing Jai »

Forgot to mention that I have a 2-stage filter for drinking water. First is a sediment filter and the other is activated carbon. I keep a close eye on that sediment filter so I don't jam up the expensive carbon cartridge. I couldn't use it in Cha Am but it seems pretty OK at my place in HH.

Also, I think those of us on the North side of town have far less shortages than those of you in the thick of it downtown. When high season is on us and the town is packed with tourists we'll see what happens then.
Calguy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Calguy »

Thanx to all for your responses. I was hoping to get someone who has lived in or is living in Phuket. I have been to LOS twice for a total of 6 weeks. I've been to Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Hua Hin and Prachuab Kiri Khan (beautiful but no English spoken). But of course as a tourist there were never shortages of anthing. To the poor soul who hasn't had water for 3 months, what does one DO in such cases? How can you get a much needed shower after the frequent sweltering days?
I am used to a lot of traffic but the traffic in LOS makes the traffic even on the famous 405 seem wimpy. I would just hire a taxi.
moja
Guru
Guru

Post by moja »

Things really are improving here during that deluge yesterday we did not lose power at all and internet only went down for about a minute! As for getting water during shortages you just have to buy it in! We have a well so water is never a problem.
wpcoe
Professional
Professional

Post by wpcoe »

Moja, you made me chuckle: We find it notable when the power and internet stays on when it rains now.

It does seem better now. I've only lived in Hua Hin a year and a half, but it seemed like the first six months the electricity WOULD go off every time it rained. Now, it's just the usually weekly (or more often) power snaps where the electricity quickly flips off and on, rain or shine.