Electric charge getting high from Government?

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
Angelique

Electric charge getting high from Government?

Post by Angelique »

Just got an e-mail from our community that we need to pay more money of electric because
Government get the price Higher 10% since 1.1.2013.
Do you think they really have rised price? Or is this again some stupid lie they want more money from us here....
Big Boy

Re: Electric charge getting high from Government?

Post by Big Boy »

Our January bill for electricity was our lowest yet, so definitely no noticeable increase from my household.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-ele ... -35977.php

The Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC) has increased the fuel tariff rate (FT) on electricity, which will result in higher power bills from this month on.

National News Bureau of Thailand
Thursday 3 January 2013, 04:15PM

ERC Chairman Direk Lavansiri said from January to April, consumers will have to pay B3.76 per unit of electricity used, an increase of 4 satang, or 1.1 per cent.

The FT, which is added on to the standard rate for electricity, rises (or, theoretically, falls) depending on the international oil prices.

Mr Direk explained that since the 2011 central Thailand floods, the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT) had kept the FT rate unchanged, resulting in more than B10 billion in revenue losses.

He said the increase in the FT until April would help cut EGAT’s burden by half. Despite the FT rate adjustment, EGAT would have to continue to shoulder an extra cost of around B5.1 billion baht in order to help keep the cost of living down.

Mr Direk noted that the EGAT would recoup all its losses if the FT rate remained unchanged after April until the end of the year

Whilst this was in the Phuket News I guess that the same will apply to all regions
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Bristolian wrote:http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-ele ... -35977.php

The Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC) has increased the fuel tariff rate (FT) on electricity, which will result in higher power bills from this month on.

National News Bureau of Thailand
Thursday 3 January 2013, 04:15PM

ERC Chairman Direk Lavansiri said from January to April, consumers will have to pay B3.76 per unit of electricity used, an increase of 4 satang, or 1.1 per cent.

The FT, which is added on to the standard rate for electricity, rises (or, theoretically, falls) depending on the international oil prices.

Mr Direk explained that since the 2011 central Thailand floods, the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT) had kept the FT rate unchanged, resulting in more than B10 billion in revenue losses.

He said the increase in the FT until April would help cut EGAT’s burden by half. Despite the FT rate adjustment, EGAT would have to continue to shoulder an extra cost of around B5.1 billion baht in order to help keep the cost of living down.

Mr Direk noted that the EGAT would recoup all its losses if the FT rate remained unchanged after April until the end of the year

Whilst this was in the Phuket News I guess that the same will apply to all regions
It must be a different rate in Cha Am because last month we were charged B4.8 a unit, but this month it has gone up to B5.2 a unit.
Winkie
Guru
Guru

Post by Winkie »

Only the crumbliest, flakiest Winkie....
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

If you are still living in 2007 that is. This is last June (year 2012) http://www.pea.co.th/th/pdf/Rate2012.pdf
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

Big Boy wrote:Our January bill for electricity was our lowest yet, so definitely no noticeable increase from my household.

That is quite normal for Dec and Jan - no air con generally.
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

PET wrote:
Big Boy wrote:Our January bill for electricity was our lowest yet, so definitely no noticeable increase from my household.

That is quite normal for Dec and Jan - no air con generally.
Our aircons were working (and still are - it's bloody freezing :cuss: ) the same ever since we moved here. In fact we had house guests during the billing period (more fans) as well, so would have expected a marked increase in the bill. Also a marked increase in cooking on our electric cooker preparing festive fayre.

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've just been to check current and previous bills. The latest bill arrived a few days earlier than normal, so that could account for our decrease - sorry for misleading you guys.

Points 48; Position 20
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Big Boy wrote:I've just been to check current and previous bills. The latest bill arrived a few days earlier than normal, so that could account for our decrease - sorry for misleading you guys.
The biggest user of electricity with air con is the compressor. With much cooler ambient temperatures at this time of the year, the compressor runs a lot less while the unit may be switched on for the same period.

As can be seen from the info on the links, the per unit charge is not a flat rate, it increases the more you use. So, any reduction in consumption comes off the higher per unit charges, and will be reflected in the total charge.

(ps: this same question was asked a couple of weeks ago, when the same link was posted)
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
richie22
Amateur
Amateur

Post by richie22 »

I have recently moved from Phuket to the Chumphon area and my last bill I used the identical amount of units as I had in Phuket but the bill was 220 bht cheaper.
I always thought the rate was the same everywhere but obviously not.
bonnielass
Professional
Professional

Post by bonnielass »

Please feel free not to shout this from the rooftops.
Wouldn't like anyone in the Electricity Company to get any ideas......

:rasta:

BL
Ye canny shove yer Grannie off a bus....
musungu
Professional
Professional

Post by musungu »

Nereus wrote: The biggest user of electricity with air con is the compressor. With much cooler ambient temperatures at this time of the year, the compressor runs a lot less while the unit may be switched on for the same period.

As can be seen from the info on the links, the per unit charge is not a flat rate, it increases the more you use. So, any reduction in consumption comes off the higher per unit charges, and will be reflected in the total charge.

(ps: this same question was asked a couple of weeks ago, when the same link was posted)
Sorry but I do not understand the charge which you say increases the more I use.
I am looking at a development which has underground electricity supply. I was told there was a central meter which is charged to the developer and the houses have individual meters, and my bill would be calculated from this meter and there would be no developers profit.
My question is that if the more you use the higher the charge, how can this work fairly when the bills in a development are divided up. If one houses uses a lot of a/c and another does not this would mean the higher user is being subsidised by the low user.

If the electricity bill is as you say is it itemised showing the various charge rates?

Thank you for any help you can give a newcomer
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

I was told there was a central meter which is charged to the developer and the houses have individual meters, and my bill would be calculated from this meter and there would be no developers profit.
Unfortunately the PEA have updated their website to make it impossible (for me) to find the current tariffs but I suspect you will always be paying a higher rate. Supply size is also a factor in pricing and the bigger the supply the higher the unit rate. Businesses are also rated differently from residential.
Presumably the development is on a business rated supply so if the development does not make a profit (and obviously not a loss) then you will be paying high capacity, high usage business rates for your electricity per kWh rather than then standard rate houses connected directly by meter to the supply will be.
You should ask the developer how much the electricity will be per kWh, and get a baht figure; 'same as we pay' might well mean double what you'd pay being connected to the grid.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Sorry but I do not understand the charge which you say increases the more I use.
I do not have a current PEA account with me, but here are some of the charges on a current MEA account:
First 1-150 units is 2.76 Baht / unit
Next 151-400 units is 3.73 Baht / unit
Over 400 units is 3.93 Baht / unit (not sure what the upper limit is)

In addition there is a fixed "supply charge" of 38.22 Baht / connection, plus a FT (fuel tax) surcharge that has just recently been increased, but does vary from time to time. On my current account of 405 units this charge is 210.76 Baht. (0.520 / unit)

As mentioned above, there are different rates for commercial and and a couple of others. If your developer has his own transformer there is a charge of 2% added to the total charge, plus 7% VAT on all of it. He may have a 3 phase supply, which could vary from the above, but other than that I do not know about the "size" of the supply affecting the price / unit.

If the developer has supplied the meters and intends to charge you / unit, then he will probably use a per unit rate above the PEA rate to cover his costs.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!