Room echoing

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
bapak
Deceased
Deceased

Room echoing

Post by bapak »

Have a couple of classrooms that have smooth, unadorned walls, resulting in some echoing?
I have seen "somewhere" some Styrofoam type material that can assist. Or, I guess, putting up some curtains on non-existent walls.

Suggestions always welcome.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Room echoing

Post by dtaai-maai »

Have a word with admin in one of the local universities. Let me know if you haven't sorted anything out by the end of May (when my hols finally come to an end...).
This is the way
moja
Guru
Guru

Post by moja »

curtains would help or just a few mats or rugs. Anything 'soft' will stop the echoing; the amount you need with depend on how big the room is.
Gralee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gralee »

You could line the walls (and/or underdraw the ceiling, if possible) with acoustic tiles - these are the tiles which are covered in tiny holes - in a regular or irregular pattern. They basically absorb the sound energy from 'noise' and prevent it from being reflected back into the room as more noise, in effect preventing 'echo'.
You could also hang flags from the ceiling - this might also serve an educational as well as a practical, purpose.
chopsticks
Guru
Guru

Post by chopsticks »

Fix empty cardboard egg trays to the walls to act as acoustic cones.
bapak
Deceased
Deceased

Post by bapak »

A "sound guru" from Sydney has suggested polymer wallpaper.
Any suggestion on a local wallpaper shop?