Swimming pool maintenance co.

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
PeteC

Re: Swimming pool maintenance co.

Post by PeteC »

If the electrodes appeared fairly clear, the problem is somewhere else. No major scaling build up on the fins should mean the unit will produce chlorine adequately. I think you're at the point where you need a technician to check the entire salt system to assure it's working, and water not just going through and no conversion taking place.

In the mean time I would still run the filter more than normal. You have regular powered chlorine in there now and if you keep that circulating it should do some good in clearing up the water even if the salt system is not working properly. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Looking at the photo and comparing it, is your system a Zodiac C Series? If so it's been discontinued but I found a trouble shooting manual PDF attached below. Other Zodiac manuals out there so if I have the wrong model, let me know. Pete

http://www.zodiacpoolsystems.com/~/medi ... -3030.ashx
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

prcscct wrote:If the electrodes appeared fairly clear, the problem is somewhere else. No major scaling build up on the fins should mean the unit will produce chlorine adequately. I think you're at the point where you need a technician to check the entire salt system to assure it's working, and water not just going through and no conversion taking place.

In the mean time I would still run the filter more than normal. You have regular powered chlorine in there now and if you keep that circulating it should do some good in clearing up the water even if the salt system is not working properly. Pete :cheers:
Ok thanks for all your advice Pete
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Maybe not your exact model but a way to clean the electrodes without taking the component completely apart.

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

prcscct wrote:Looking at the photo and comparing it, is your system a Zodiac C Series? If so it's been discontinued but I found a trouble shooting manual PDF attached below. Other Zodiac manuals out there so if I have the wrong model, let me know. Pete

http://www.zodiacpoolsystems.com/~/medi ... -3030.ashx
Mine is what they call a Zodiac TRi model so whilst it may have similar functionality to this one, it's more up to date. I've been in touch with the guy who installed the equipment and he's coming to take a look tomorrow so hopefully he will be able to see something specifically wrong with the equipment........ or the bloke whose been looking after it!! :thanks:
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (3.64 KiB) Viewed 657 times
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Good luck, let us know. :thumb:

Important thing to make sure he understands is that you have a clear taste of salt in the water, but the unit is still telling you to add more salt. Something wrong there as these systems produce chlorine with very little salt, even below a concentration where you can taste it. Pete

Here's the TRI manual inclusive of cell cleaning instructions: http://www.zodiac.co.za/media/cms/manua ... Manual.pdf

A lot more on Google about this model as well.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

prcscct wrote:Good luck, let us know. :thumb:

Important thing to make sure he understands is that you have a clear taste of salt in the water, but the unit is still telling you to add more salt. Something wrong there as these systems produce chlorine with very little salt, even below a concentration where you can taste it. Pete

Here's the TRI manual inclusive of cell cleaning instructions: http://www.zodiac.co.za/media/cms/manua ... Manual.pdf

A lot more on Google about this model as well.
You're a star Pete :party:
Mrock

Post by Mrock »

My plates have quite a lot of white stuff on them. I'm guessing this is salt. I couldn't get my internals out either. I don't want to break anything either. They must pull out?? When I pull the cap I see the electrical guts which is where I can't pull the plates out.
Good thread by the way.
Ed
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Mrock wrote:My plates have quite a lot of white stuff on them. I'm guessing this is salt. I couldn't get my internals out either. I don't want to break anything either. They must pull out?? When I pull the cap I see the electrical guts which is where I can't pull the plates out. Good thread by the way.Ed
The white stuff is not salt, but calcium build up from the top up water. It needs to be disolved with a mild acid solution of around a 4:1 solution of water to muriatic acid. Be carefull with this stuff! (ALWAYS ADD ACID TO WATER – NEVER ADD WATER TO ACID.)

Do not force the plate assembly out of the housing. If you look at the photos in this post you will see that the water inlet and outlet pipes are connected at the bottom of the housing with screwed plastic collars. Isolate the equipment and GENTLY unscew both connections, leaving the plate electrical connections in place is ok if there is enough cable slack. Now you can turn the complete housing upside down leaving the connections at the top. Mix up some acid solution and pour it into the housing. Let it soak for about 15 or even 30 minutes, then drain it out and flush the housing with a garden hose. Repeat if required until the plates are clean. Depending on the water supply this should be done about every 3 months, or 500 hours running time, but it is better to watch for any build up and clean before it becomes a problem.

Be careful where you dispose of the acid mix.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Geko
Professional
Professional

Post by Geko »

I have a Surechlor 4000 system this is a section from there manual, don't forget the cell's don't last forever:

HOW LONG SHOULD YOUR CHLORINATOR CELL LAST?
When installed on a normal domestic pool, Poolrite cell electrodes have a nominal life expectancy of approximately four years if they are correctly maintained.
With operating conditions varying widely in different pools, the actual life of the cell electrodes can be quite different from the nominal life.
For example, a chlorinator cell operating for only 3 hours daily can be expected to last twice as long as the same cell operating for 6 hours daily. Likewise, the same cell operating 24 hours daily may suffer electrode failure after just one year!
To assist you in prolonging the life of your Surechlor 4000 Cell Electrodes, we have provided this chart of Common Causes Of Premature Cell Failure based on our extensive experience in designing, manufacturing and servicing salt water chlorinators in Australia.
In order to achieve the longest possible life from your Surechlor 4000 cell, we recommend that the owner bear these important points in mind as it is sometimes difficult to determine which of the above points was responsible when inspecting a cell which has failed prematurely.

Common Causes Of Premature Cell Failure
a) Operating the cell with too little salt in the water (this can often happen after heavy rain).
b) Excessive accumulation of calcium deposits on electrodes.
c) Low water flow through cell (poor filter maintenance or a faulty pump are typical causes).
d) Physical damage to electrode coating caused by scraping with a screwdriver, etc.
e) Cleaning of electrodes in too strong an acid solution (greater than 1 part hydrochloric acid in 8 parts water).
f) Acid washing for too long (10-15 minutes max. In contact with 1:8 acid/water should be more than sufficient).