Swimming pool maintenance co.

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Swimming pool maintenance co.

Post by Dannie Boy »

I know this question has been covered before, but not to any degree of satisfaction.

My pool has been "off colour" for 2 or more weeks now. I tested the ph and it was high so added muriatic (hydrochloric) acid and whilst the ph level has reduced and I've now added extra chlorine as that was low (it's a salt water pool) but the water is still a murky greenish colour and the floor is just about visible at the 1.8 m deep end. I have previously added extra salt, although my tester doesn't give a salt reading and have also added algicide but all to no avail.

Can anybody offer any suggestions and/or recommend a RELIABLE company who I could try to come and check out the equipment (Emaux) in case something's faulty - all supplied from GDL Pool about 15-16 months ago although installed by a separate contractor. Thanks
PeteC

Re: Swimming pool maintenance co.

Post by PeteC »

This shouldn't be happening at all Dannie with a salt water pool. What I would do to stop the current crisis is shock it with a large dose of powered chlorine, and run the filters....12 hours a day until the pool is clear again. If you're worried about overheating/wear & tear, shut it off for an hour or two in the middle.

The overall cause may be that you're not running your system long enough, and/or your pump motor is not enough HP, or your filter tank is too small for your pool. Personally I think you're just not running the machinery long enough each day. Mine is about 10 x 7m, I think about 95,000 L including overflow tank, and I run things 7-9 hours a day and all is fine.

If your system is feeding salt properly you should rarely need any acid to keep the water clear. If you recall from an earlier thread I never did get a straight answer from the shops about PH balance between acid and alkalinity in a salt water pool. You'll never achieve it IMO because of the nature of a salt water pool. I've simply stopped testing and go by water appearance/clarity.

I would throw in a shovel of chlorine tonight, turn it on and run it all night and see what tomorrow brings. One long running time won't do it, probably at least 2, maybe 3 before clear. I would backwash the filter first in preparation. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Another question. How big is your pool approximately and how much salt do you put in (KG), and how often? Do you dump it right into the pool, or do you have an overflow pool with holding tank?
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

prcscct wrote:Another question. How big is your pool approximately and how much salt do you put in (KG), and how often? Do you dump it right into the pool, or do you have an overflow pool with holding tank?
Thanks for your advice Pete. The pool is 12x7m so fairly big. In the last month I have added 5 sacks of salt at 25kg a time and over the same period I have also added about 4kg of chlorine.

I may be guilty of not running the pump long enough from what you recommend as we only do about 5.1/2 hours a day in two chunks, morning and evening (the wife hates spending too much on electricity). Anyway I will do a backwash, add some more chlorine and then just before we go to bed tonight, turn the pump on and see what tomorrow morning brings - maybe not crystal clear but hopefully heading in the right direction :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Dannie Boy wrote:
prcscct wrote:Another question. How big is your pool approximately and how much salt do you put in (KG), and how often? Do you dump it right into the pool, or do you have an overflow pool with holding tank?
Thanks for your advice Pete. The pool is 12x7m so fairly big. In the last month I have added 5 sacks of salt at 25kg a time and over the same period I have also added about 4kg of chlorine.

I may be guilty of not running the pump long enough from what you recommend as we only do about 5.1/2 hours a day in two chunks, morning and evening (the wife hates spending too much on electricity). Anyway I will do a backwash, add some more chlorine and then just before we go to bed tonight, turn the pump on and see what tomorrow morning brings - maybe not crystal clear but hopefully heading in the right direction :cheers:
Your salt looks fine. You should have some kind of meter on the salt machine telling you the % of salt running through the electrodes. 6% too high, below that in green gauge area is best, yellow too low concentration. 5 x 25kg would last me about 2 months but my max depth is 1.6 and as said, 10 x 7m. I think you're just about spot on with the salt. You need to find a way to gauge that though.

Yes, tell the wife to ignore it...I do. :duck: She can't have it both ways, clear pool and short running time don't work. I think you'll see good results. If not completely clear, keep running it for a few days until it is.

Fyi, I've been doing this since 17 and never had a pool I couldn't clear up both private pools and when working commercially during school breaks, and with my own pools after those early days. Yes, sometimes it was simply inferior and improper size equipment but most times simply not enough running time was the cause.

IMPORTANT: You have to clean your salt machine electrodes. Should be instructions with your paperwork. Easy to do yourself in most cases. If they gunk up, you're losing chlorine making capability in a big way which in itself will necessitate the need to run your filters longer to maintain clear water. Easy to clean with a toothbrush and perhaps some acid/water mix. You should take them out and check condition every 3 months or so. Pete :cheers:

EDIT: With a pool your size I'm hoping your pump is 2HP or higher?
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

prcscct wrote:
Dannie Boy wrote:

Your salt looks fine. You should have some kind of meter on the salt machine telling you the % of salt running through the electrodes. 6% too high, below that in green gauge area is best, yellow too low concentration. 5 x 25kg would last me about 2 months but my max depth is 1.6 and as said, 10 x 7m. I think you're just about spot on with the salt. You need to find a way to gauge that though.

Yes, tell the wife to ignore it...I do. :duck: She can't have it both ways, clear pool and short running time don't work. I think you'll see good results. If not completely clear, keep running it for a few days until it is.

Fyi, I've been doing this since 17 and never had a pool I couldn't clear up both private pools and when working commercially during school breaks, and with my own pools after those early days. Yes, sometimes it was simply inferior and improper size equipment but most times simply not enough running time was the cause.

IMPORTANT: You have to clean your salt machine electrodes. Should be instructions with your paperwork. Easy to do yourself in most cases. If they gunk up, you're losing chlorine making capability in a big way which in itself will necessitate the need to run your filters longer to maintain clear water. Easy to clean with a toothbrush and perhaps some acid/water mix. You should take them out and check condition every 3 months or so. Pete :cheers:

I've just checked the pump and it's rated at 2.18kw - not sure what that is in HP?

As for the salt machine electrodes, I have to admit that I've never looked inside it so no idea whether they are gunked up or not. I will try to find any handbook/technical guidance that might have come with the equipment and see if I can work out what to do. I'll also check to see if the machine will give a readout of the salt running through the electrodes, although I've just noticed that the yellow warning light and "add salt" has come on today, so more salt needed by the looks of it.

Thanks again Pete
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

1.0kw is 1.34hp per what I find, so you should be fine in pumping/flow power. I would say no way you need more salt so soon. Good idea to check those electrodes as something seems wrong or blocked telling the system not enough salt present. I'll stop now as at the point where you need eyes on. Let's hope things work out in a day or two. Pete :cheers:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

prcscct wrote:1.0kw is 1.34hp per what I find, so you should be fine in pumping/flow power. I would say no way you need more salt so soon. Good idea to check those electrodes as something seems wrong or blocked telling the system not enough salt present. I'll stop now as at the point where you need eyes on. Let's hope things work out in a day or two. Pete :cheers:
As always, thanks for your helpful advice Pete - I'll give the chlorinator a look at in the morning and see what I can find.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Dannie Boy wrote:
prcscct wrote:1.0kw is 1.34hp per what I find, so you should be fine in pumping/flow power. I would say no way you need more salt so soon. Good idea to check those electrodes as something seems wrong or blocked telling the system not enough salt present. I'll stop now as at the point where you need eyes on. Let's hope things work out in a day or two. Pete :cheers:
As always, thanks for your helpful advice Pete - I'll give the chlorinator a look at in the morning and see what I can find.
Quick check is to take a palm full of water from your pool and taste it. If any salt flavour whatsoever, you have enough for what your machinery should be doing to make chlorine. Sodium chloride > electrode = chlorine > sun = sodium chloride again > repeat cycle. If you have some salt taste, you have enough salt in the pool.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

prcscct wrote:
Dannie Boy wrote:
Quick check is to take a palm full of water from your pool and taste it. If any salt flavour whatsoever, you have enough for what your machinery should be doing to make chlorine. Sodium chloride > electrode = chlorine > sun = sodium chloride again > repeat cycle. If you have some salt taste, you have enough salt in the pool.
You can definitely taste the salt so that seems ok then. The pump is on for its overnight flush and will check out the chlorinator in the morning. :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Yes, if salt taste that means to me the salt chlorinator is not functioning properly as it says to add salt now. Why?...maybe gunk on the electrodes....maybe something else. Don't put any more salt in, you'll start to destroy your tile grout if too much. Even if it stays green colour, stop the salt.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

prcscct wrote:
Dannie Boy wrote:

Well I came out this morning to check the pool and regrettably it's the same colour as yesterday - I wasn't expecting it to be crystal clear but was hoping for some improvement.

When you said check the electrodes and not being at all experienced with pool equipment, are the electrodes contained in a small clear plastic cylinder with a power supply and where the water passes through? Thanks
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

That's really unfortunate. I thought at least some kind of improvement would be visible. Yes, the electrodes will be in that tube. below are some sample photos as many different systems with different size electrodes. Pete

https://www.google.com/search?q=salt+wa ... s&tbm=isch
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

prcscct wrote:That's really unfortunate. I thought at least some kind of improvement would be visible. Yes, the electrodes will be in that tube. below are some sample photos as many different systems with different size electrodes. Pete

https://www.google.com/search?q=salt+wa ... s&tbm=isch
This is my one, so I'll be taking it apart very soon (after disconnecting it from the power supply) :P
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (10.69 KiB) Viewed 803 times
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Trying to take it apart proved difficult, I unscrewed the end cap but the internals seemed stuck tight so I didn't want to use undue pressure in case of damaging anything. The (approx 6) metal plates inside the plastic housing appeared fairly clear of any build up. I might give the guy who installed the equipment a call and see if he can pay me a visit - I'd rather pay him a few hundred baht to see how to disassemble it properly, than make a pigs ear of it myself!! :cheers: