Question for the Swimming Pool experts

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
bonnielass
Professional
Professional

Question for the Swimming Pool experts

Post by bonnielass »

Hi guys, can anyone tell me if I will have to drain the pool in order to do some very small grout repairs between tiles. I literally have about a dozen 1-2 inch strips of broken grout. I'd hate to have to waste all that water. Not to mention the expense.

Trying to get to the bottom of why it's happened on such a small scale. Could undissolved salt cause deterioration of grout? Our pool man chucks a couple of handfuls straight in twice a week. It lies on the bottom and generally takes a few hours for it to dissolve.

Any words of wisdom on this topic appreciated.

Cheers

BL
Ye canny shove yer Grannie off a bus....
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Question for the Swimming Pool experts

Post by Dannie Boy »

I wouldn't claim to be a swimming pool expert, but grouting needs to be carried out in a dry environment to allow the grouting to dry and harden properly, so you will need to get the water below the level of the tiles to be grouted - of course if it's the floor that needs re-grouting, there's only one solution!!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Yes, everything must be dry so no choice but to take the water level down. Make sure someone who knows what they're doing does the grout work, both mixing and application. Make sure you let it dry long enough before refilling the pool. I think 48 hours or longer is a good number. I always thought there was a special grout for pools, fountains, tiled spas etc., but my asking draws blank stares. Doesn't hurt to look though for a special product, and a high quality product.

Salt may be your cause if the man throws handfuls exactly in the same spot and on the same tiles each period. If you're worried about that get a new 5 gallon plastic paint bucket, put your periodic salt ration in it, add water, stir, let sit until mostly dissolved, and then pour that solution into the pool at your normal intervals. In that way you shouldn't get concentrated salt sitting on the pool floor. Pete :cheers:

EDIT: I just did some more reading about grout. To try to avoid the need to do it all over again later, a week cure time before refilling the pool seems recommended. Also, Google "swimming pool grout" and see if you can find any of the products that are recommended here in Thailand.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

I had that problem too and you have to drain the pool. Had to regrout the whole pool because of the bogus Pura Pool scam I, and the pool company, fell for. When they dug out the grout they found several places where it was not filled in properly as a few had already fallen out. Can remember also the pool company bringing by a special grout for pools for the Tile Man. If it has fallen out in places it is very likely that there are other places where it is not very well filled either. Pay the baht and bite the bullet and fix ALL of the grout so you don't have to deal with the problem again.

Anyone contemplating a new pool look at Pebble Tec in place of Tile. May cost a bit more but none of the problems that the slippery tile surface bring with the falling out of grout are eliminated in addition to having a pool surface that you can walk around on. I have tried to upload pictures of my new Pebble Tec pool but have been unable to figure out how.
Winkie
Guru
Guru

Post by Winkie »

Hi Brianks

Would very much like to see and hear more of your experience with Pebble Tec. Am also considering

Thanks
Only the crumbliest, flakiest Winkie....
JD
Legend
Legend

Post by JD »

brianks wrote:I have tried to upload pictures of my new Pebble Tec pool but have been unable to figure out how.
Take a look at this thread. It explains how to upload pictures. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16714
Per Angusta In Augusta.
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.facebook.com/huahinhamandbacon
www.hamandbacon.co.th
bonnielass
Professional
Professional

Post by bonnielass »

Thank you so much everyone for taking the time to post information on this subject. Much appreciated.
I guess there's nothing else for it. The pool will have to be drained. Drat and double drat!

I'll let you know how it goes.

:cheers:

BL
Ye canny shove yer Grannie off a bus....
Gralee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gralee »

Grout disappearing from the swimming pool can be one of two things - the grouting wasn't carried put correctly in the first place; or the poolwater is too 'aggressive' ie too acidic (pH too low) causing the grout to be dissolved. Check the pH level of the pool water and also the alkalinity, which acts as a buffer to prevent large pH swings. If you have access to a testing kit you can test the TDS, temperature, alkalinity and calcium hardness. From the results you can use a simple formula to test if your pool is likely to be aggressive or scale-forming. If the former, that is why your grout is disappearing.
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

Pebble Tec

Following instructions for uploading pictures must find me a klutz as I follow them and cannot get any pictures to show up.

PM me for email and I will send them via email if you want to see the product and my pool.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've just re-checked the instructions for uploading a photo, and they are fine. The only thing that might be causing problems is that you need to carry out the instruction in post 2, before starting the instructions in post 1. I will amend the instruction now to reflect that.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

Slightly related bit not totally; anyone know of a decent, clean public swimming pool in Hua Hin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Sport Villa is quite popular.

Points 48; Position 20
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

Ok thanks, where exactly is that?

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

On the right as you go South out of town. Opposite the Marakesh from memory.

Points 48; Position 20
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

Great cheers.