Ceiling Fan

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
trifca

Ceiling Fan

Post by trifca »

Does anyone know someone that has experience in balancing them? I have one that is out of balance and is wobbling on the high speed. Sure appreciate suggestions.
Thanks
Russ
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Re: Ceiling Fan

Post by hhfarang »

I've always done it myself. It's not too difficult, you just have to be patient and follow a logical pattern.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

I agree with HHfarang as I have balanced over 15 of them in the past few years and it is not a difficult process. Just read the instructions that come with the balancing kit. Basically you place a weight they give you (that slips on the edge of the fan blade) to put on the fan blade. Turn the fan on to see if balanced. Trial and Error. If not balanced, move the weight to the next blade and over and over again until you find the blade that finally balances the fan blades. When you find the blade that balances it, put the fixed steel weights (with sticky back tape on them) on the backside of the blade.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

^ Yes that is basically the procedure. For best results (example: a 5 bladed fan).

1. Watch how much the fan wobbles before doing anything.
2. Put the little plastic slip on weight in the middle of (the length of) one of the blades.
3. Turn on the fan and see if it wobbles less or more. Keep track of which blade you started with as blade 1.
4. Repeat that process by moving that slip on weight to blade 2 and see if the fan wobbles more/less than with no weights or more/less than it did with the weight on blade 1.
5. Continue this process (taking notes may help for us older folks) on all 5 blades to determine which blade with weight in the middle wobbles the least or not at all.
6. If you found a blade where it doesn't wobble, stick a weight on top of the blade an inch inward from where the plastic weight is, you're done.
7. If it still wobbles with the weight on the middle of every blade you have to determine which blade with the weight installed made it wobble the least amount.
8. Then move the weight inward/outward (towards and away from the motor) on that blade alone in about 10 centimeter increments while turning on the fan after each move to see if it helped or made it worse.
9. Eventually you will find the exact spot on the exact blade where the fan either doesn't wobble or has the least amount of wobble.

Finally some fans are stubborn and I've done the above and it still had too much wobble to suit me. If that happens you repeat the procedure with a second weight and usually you can balance the fan to near perfect with two weights, however once it took me 3 weights.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
trifca

Post by trifca »

The person that installed the fans took the sliding piece with them and he is not around any more. One of the weights apparently has shifted so I guess I need to try to reposition it and see if that fixes it....
Thanks to ALL.
Russ
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

If worse comes to worse, I've used a 10 and 5 Baht coin and a plastic clothes clip. When correct spot found, superglue the coin to the top of the fan blade.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Also, most shops that sell fans will also sell replacement balancing kits with the plastic slider and stick on weights. I bought one here a long time ago... don't remember where but I think it was just one of the little mom and pop hardware shops. HomePro should have them.
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

PM me if you have trouble finding the weight kit. I have a few left over from the 8 fan I have in my house. Would be glad to post them to you.
trifca

Post by trifca »

Thanks, I will try HomePro First IF not then on to Bonthavorn......
Good Suggestion.
Russ