best place to shop for household items ??

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
properperson
Amateur
Amateur

best place to shop for household items ??

Post by properperson »

Back in pattaya there was a large thai warehouse that sold just about everything (at local prices).......everything from pots and pans, cutlery, plates, wooden furnture, pictures, nick nacks, ornaments - in fact you name it (well other than electrical stuff)...

is there anything like this in HHH ?

we've been into Market Village and Index, but seems like tourist prices to me.....

And "Klang" as the back of Powerbuy, but not the type of things we're looking for...

Any info greatly appreciated....
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Re: best place to shop for household items ??

Post by Henry 14th »

I'm also looking for some quality kitchen knives, any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Seriously guys, you're not likely to find "quality" kitchenware in Thai style warehouses, hence the reason why these places charge Thai prices.

For good knives and such, I would bite the bullet and buy from Index. Quite often you can get quite good quality pots and pans from Makro as well.

The Thai warehouses should be okay for other stuff though, such as plates, bowls, mugs and etc.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I agree with Takiap about getting reasonable quality/priced items at Makro and what you can't get there, you may need to dig a bit deeper and sop at Index for good quality cutlery.

A good shop for crockery, glassware and all sorts of odds and ends is located as follows - if you're travelling on Petchkasem towards Cha Am, turn left at the Chomsin Road traffic lights and then at the first road on the left, the shop is on the corner - helpful staff and you can get a good 10% discount on advertised prices, already very reasonably priced.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

The 'Seagull' cutlery and other products at Macro are far cheaper and of better quality than the Index metalware in my opinion.
There is also an open-air shop South of the Intercontinental hotel (I think) that sells cheaper plates, cups, glasses, etc. and the quality is ok. Worth a look.
:cheers:
GN.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Reading this sparked a non-Thailand memory. After moving to another town in the Phils, I tried my luck at the local housewares stores. Was looking for flatware that wouldn't bend if used on anything denser than chili. Found a box of forks and spoons which were about 80% the usual size. The weight of the first spoon told me this wasn't going to easily bend. It didn't. It was the best flatware I'd seen in the Phils. How the F* did a decent product end up here? Turned one over, saw 'Delta Airlines' molded into the handle.

Yep. The best products in the Phils were often bought a bankruptcy sales in the US. That, or excess donations to Goodwill and Salvation Army (2 charities) sold by the ton to exporters.
Jim
Guru
Guru

Post by Jim »

There's a proper Thai place on the left just after you turn right off Chomsin road to go onto the Pala U road. Mind the rats at the back, but it'll do pretty much everything you want/need and at the right price.
ดวงขึ้น
จิม
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Dannie Boy wrote:I agree with Takiap about getting reasonable quality/priced items at Makro and what you can't get there, you may need to dig a bit deeper and sop at Index for good quality cutlery.
A good shop for crockery, glassware and all sorts of odds and ends is located as follows - if you're travelling on Petchkasem towards Cha Am, turn left at the Chomsin Road traffic lights and then at the first road on the left, the shop is on the corner - helpful staff and you can get a good 10% discount on advertised prices, already very reasonably priced.
If you follow those directions it puts you into Sa Song Rd right behind Chat Chai Market. It is nigh on impossible to walk along there, never mind try and find a place to park. Are you sure that is where you mean. :?

Where Jim has posted is a much better place.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Nereus wrote:
Dannie Boy wrote:I agree with Takiap about getting reasonable quality/priced items at Makro and what you can't get there, you may need to dig a bit deeper and sop at Index for good quality cutlery.
If you follow those directions it puts you into Sa Song Rd right behind Chat Chai Market. It is nigh on impossible to walk along there, never mind try and find a place to park. Are you sure that is where you mean. :?

Where Jim has posted is a much better place.
I was simply referring to a shop that met some of the OP's requirements, not whether it was difficult or easy to park, however immediatly opposite the road where the shop is (I assume its the Sa Song Road you mentioned) is a lane that leads to a large car park and just 100 metres to walk back to the shop, so no big deal.
properperson
Amateur
Amateur

Post by properperson »

Jim wrote:There's a proper Thai place on the left just after you turn right off Chomsin road to go onto the Pala U road. Mind the rats at the back, but it'll do pretty much everything you want/need and at the right price.
As i'm new in town, i don't know either of those roads - can you give me some directiond from say market village in Town ??

Thanks.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

This is the way
Farang
Ace
Ace

Post by Farang »

Dannie Boy is right: one of the absolute best places to buy just about anything for the household in the shop on the corner of Sa Sarong and Chomsin. They have good stuff, decent prices and I've not had any issues with them past 15 years. The place is marked as "1" on the this map.
Places marked "2" are other places mentioned in this thread on the Pala-U road.
eujal1.jpg
"There's no plausible or convincing reason, certainly no evidential one, to believe that there is such an entity (= deity) and that all observable phenomena, including the cosmological ones... are explicable without the hypothesis; you don't need the assumption."
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I must display my stupidity. I've lived in HH for more than 12 years and I can't make head nor tail of the map above!!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

HHTel wrote:I must display my stupidity. I've lived in HH for more than 12 years and I can't make head nor tail of the map above!!
Most of it being in Thai doesn't help, but the yellow road is Petchkasem, so the road leading up to the number 1 is Chomsin Road and the turning into SA Sarong on the left and further down it would lead to the Chatchai market. Then continue on Chomsin and over the railway and turn right onto the Pala-U road and the shops at 2 are on your left.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »