Electric extension cords

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Electric extension cords

Post by migrant »

It's kind of a dumb question but I'm lost in these areas

Coming from the US do our electrical extension cords work on the 220 in Thailand?

Thanks!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Re: Electric extension cords

Post by hhfarang »

Hi Migrant, it depends on what you use them for. I looked this up once and ended up throwing out the cords we took there from the U.S. because they are not always safe to use; I think it was something to do with the amperage. If you use them with an appliance that draws a lot of amps they could heat up and cause a fire.

I'm sure one of the electrical experts (I'm certainly not one) will come on tomorrow morning Thai time and give you a better explanation or say what I read was wrong. Anyway, I thought better save than sorry and extension cords are cheap. Also, the thought occurred to me that Thai extension cords may even be worse than an American one made for 110 (unless it was imported from China...) :D
Last edited by hhfarang on Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Thanks! maybe keep a few heavy duty ones and toss the rest
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

I love the ones that have three pin multi sockets and then have a two pin wall connection - brilliant :banghead: :banghead: :tsk:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

The cords in themselves will not be a problem, as something running on 110 Volts will draw around twice the amps as something running on 220 Volts, so the conductor size will be bigger. The voltage rating of the insulation will also be suitable for 220 Volts.

Whichever you bring it will probably be necessary to change both end plugs to local ones in most cases. The 2 pin plugs are the same, but there is a multitude of other types in use. And as Terry has mentioned, do not expect to find a ground wire in use!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Hi Nereus, whatever I read years ago that scared me also said that you could use them for small jobs (like battery chargers), but that you should not use them on appliances that generate heat.

Was that total bull hockey?
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

hhfarang wrote:Hi Nereus, whatever I read years ago that scared me also said that you could use them for small jobs (like battery chargers), but that you should not use them on appliances that generate heat.
Was that total bull hockey?

It depends entirely on how many amps an appliance draws, or the wattage rating usng the supply voltage to work that out.
All appliances generate some heat, even battery chargers. But I guess they may have meant things like bar room heaters and such, which I have yet to find here!

As a rough guide you are probably better off not using them on anything that draws over around 10 amps, or at 220 Volts,
about 2Kw`s. Also restrict the length of the thing, as voltage drop will become a problem with long leads. And do not use them rolled up, as there will be a "transformer" effect that can cause them to over heat to the extent that they will melt and could catch on fire. :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

migrant wrote:It's kind of a dumb question but I'm lost in these areas

Coming from the US do our electrical extension cords work on the 220 in Thailand?

Thanks!
are your cords the heavy duty orange or yellow colored type cords? designed for outdoors? they should be ok for anything you use them for up to a point. i doubt you will go beyond that.

many small AC power strips here have zip cord "lamp" gauge wires for low wattage use. if you used the small cords for laptop, cellphone charger or other lower wattage stuff no problem.

and as everyone points out no ground here. the three holes are there, just no wire for ground. sometimes. depends.

and bring everything you got because everything here is very poor quality. and/or very expensive.

bring every tool, cellphone case, your old Mr. Coffee, your cheap sunglasses from Mexico. any kitchen items, no matter how low quality or cheap it may be. Everything.

the only exception to this is the green lasers they sell here. the are great. so leave your green laser. :D

things that i would buy/bring if i was in usa right now to bring to Thailand:
any electronics, casio watch, gps. camera.
running shoes. hiking shoes. boots. name brand sports type clothes.
motorcycle clothes.
any sports, workshop or hobby stuff. you will never find the right adaptor, mount, etc.
any accessories to anything you already own that you don't have yet.
photos of what a hamburger looks like.
photos of what a American breakfast looks like.
photos of properly cooked bacon.
and a copy of "How to Remove Malware From Your Friend's PC, and Other Lifelong Hobbies".

also, be ready for google, and others, to reject your location and not allow you to log into email without security questions and alternate email account.

make sure you have everything in place with US banks for transfers that are started OUTSIDE the USA.
Are you going to retain a US cellphone number?
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

There was a law that came into force late 90's or early 200's requiring all new buildings to be built with proper grounding. Before a building could be registered it had to be approved by the local engineer who tested the grounding as part of the inspection. My house certainly had that inspection. I watched my house being built and it definately has a 2 metre copper earth rod installed.
At the time, there were a few developments in Hua Hin where they were ordered to rewire the houses with proper grounding. I guess these inspections have fallen by the wayside for private houses. However, I'm sure that the newer developments such as condos, hotels etc do have the proper grounding.

I agree with the above post in that always assume there is no grounding until it's tested.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

There are definitely two grades of extension cords available here and I have ditched the cheap ones as they are very poor quality. A bit of bent copper to contact the plug which after while needs to be bent back into shape. I am sure I have seen the same Chinese made multi socket extension leads that are identical but for the markings. If the lead has a thicker cable it "should" be okay and better quality ones will have markings so you can check what they are rated for plus some guidelines on the packing. For irons, rice cookers, kettles and anything using a lot of power it is better to have a good lead as they tend to use more amps. If you are in doubt it is better to pay a bit more than risk burning the house down. I am not an electrician so cannot offer advice on US lead comparability but do wonder if the fancy ones with phone and USB sockets are suitable. Also would surge protection circuitry based on. 110 volt system work properly. Most transformers for phones etc can be used worldwide but I would be careful where extension leads are concerned. The actual wire's ability to handle the Amperage can be calculated but what about the rating on other bits of the lead.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Thanks all, a great deal of info! We will be building our home, and I will be onsite, so it sounds like, within cautions that Nereus points out, I'll be OK.

James, yes mainly the heavy duty, orange covered, extension cords.
Also, to answer your question, have a 714 area code number through magicjack!
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

migrant wrote:Thanks all, a great deal of info! We will be building our home, and I will be onsite, so it sounds like, within cautions that Nereus points out, I'll be OK.

those are worth bringing.

can you receive text messages with magic jack?
many US banks require a One Time Password to be sent to a cellphone in order to complete the transfer TO OTHER BANKS.
many US banks will not allow you to change phone numbers on the web. only in a branch in the USA.

good luck will your move. say hello to interstate 5 and the 405 for me :)
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

JamesWest wrote:
migrant wrote:Thanks all, a great deal of info! We will be building our home, and I will be onsite, so it sounds like, within cautions that Nereus points out, I'll be OK.

those are worth bringing.

can you receive text messages with magic jack?
many US banks require a One Time Password to be sent to a cellphone in order to complete the transfer TO OTHER BANKS.
many US banks will not allow you to change phone numbers on the web. only in a branch in the USA.

good luck will your move. say hello to interstate 5 and the 405 for me :)
Not sure on texts, will have to check. My son is taking over my company so he can do transfers, etc, but it would be nice to have!

I'll be saying goodbye to the freeways Oct 16!! :cheers: