Strange Odor From Air Conditioner

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Strange Odor From Air Conditioner

Post by JamesWest »

My bedroom wall mounted air conditioner is giving off a strange odor. It is very strong. Smells a bit like isopropyl alcohol. Must need service. Any ideas on this? Anybody experience a strange chemical like odor coming from their air cond?

wait i just realized what the smell is. it smells just like anti freeze just like when your car overheats. maybe i should open the window before i die.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
PeteC

Re: Strange Odor From Air Conditioner

Post by PeteC »

Don't hang your wet socks on the air vent!
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

prcscct wrote:Don't hang your wet socks on the air vent!
i picked the wrong day to give up sniffing glue...

now getting flash cards ready so i can communicate with Thai land lord.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

Notwithstanding the wet socks it is possibly a refridgerant known as R22 chlorodiofluoromethane which has been banned in most countries. If it stops getting cold or slow to cool a refridgerant leak most likely as a result of micro fracture in the plumbing. generally caused as a result of poor strain/vibration relief in the associated pipe work hope that is of some help to you
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

Bluesky wrote:Notwithstanding the wet socks it is possibly a refridgerant known as R22 chlorodiofluoromethane which has been banned in most countries. If it stops getting cold or slow to cool a refridgerant leak most likely as a result of micro fracture in the plumbing. generally caused as a result of poor strain/vibration relief in the associated pipe work hope that is of some help to you
yes no doubt i was breathing this sh*t all night long... :D

what i can't believe is the repair guy showed up on time! amazing.
Three
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Three »

Should get your aircon units cleaned regularly. Had some guys out recently and they completely disassembled both indoor and outdoor units and cleaned them. 500 baht. (Would have been 400 baht but the make was one that their shop did not sell.)