I want to buy a lake fishing rod

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
Bilbo52

I want to buy a lake fishing rod

Post by Bilbo52 »

Back home I am a sea fisherman, so I have little knowledge of freshwater fishing and in particular here in Thailand. I want to buy a fishing rod with a view to fish some of the lakes in the Hua Hin and Cha am vicinities, which I have done on 2 or 3 occasions. I want a rod that is 8-9 ft in length so I can cast, but I am not sure about other specifications. I see that some rods have a casting weight of say 30 - 150g stamped on them, but I do not understand what this means. I want to catch fish up to say 30Kg, but don't want the rod breaking when I bend into a largish fish. If I want to try for the huge specimen fish I will buy another meatier rod.
Can anyone give me a short spec for the sort of rod that I am after and an indicative cost. Oh, I should have said that I want carbon fibre.
Many thanks
Big Boy

Re: I want to buy a lake fishing rod

Post by Big Boy »

Terry at the Hua Hin Fishing Lodge might be a good person to ask.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Most of the rods that you see in the tackle shops here will serve you well and deal quite easily with 30Kg fish.
I personally prefer the more flexible varieties to be found - they give you more control over the heavier fish.

The 30 -150g notation is nothing more than the weight of the lures that can be used with the rod.
Bilbo52

Post by Bilbo52 »

Thank you Big Boy and Terry.