Taps with ceramic artridges

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Taps with ceramic artridges

Post by hhinner »

In the past it was easy to fix a leaky tap - change the rubber washer. Nowadays we have quarter-turn taps with ceramic cartridges. These should be just as easy to fix - just replace the ceramic cartridge.

Only 3 years ago we replaced all our bathroom taps with with nicer looking, more expensive ones than were originally installed. Now, 2 out of 4 are leaking. Is it possible to find the ceramic cartridges in Thailand? Apparently not! We've been to Home Pro, Thai Watsadu, Global House, and various hardware stores around Hua Hin. The consensus is that we have to buy new taps. Are we supposed to throw leaky taps away and buy new ones after only a few years?

Can anyone point me to a supplier in Hua Hin, or Thailand even?

Thanks.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Taps with ceramic artridges

Post by Nereus »

I doubt that you will find replacement cartridges. However, it only takes a minute amount of dirt to become trapped inside and they will leak. VERY carefully dismantle and clean the cartridge, taking care not to scratch any part of it, and note the correct order of the components.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Thanks Nereus. Sounds like a good first step.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Taps with ceramic artridges

Post by hhinner »

I disassembled the cartridges and cleaned them. The ceramic disks were OK though, no scratches or dirt between them and surfaces still smooth.The real problem seems to be wear and tear, the cartridges just dont fit snugly any more and the tap handles are able to wobble a tiny bit which allows the water to drip. So it's new taps I think. Thanks anyway, it was interesting to look inside.