Book shop/exchange in Hua Hin?

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
salavan
Novice
Novice

Book shop/exchange in Hua Hin?

Post by salavan »

hi does anyone know where i can buy and exchange second hand books in hua hin
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: book

Post by STEVE G »

salavan wrote:hi does anyone know where i can buy and exchange second hand books in hua hin
I think that this shop is still in business:
viewtopic.php?t=18055
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Re: Book shop/exchange in Hua Hin?

Post by hhfarang »

There also used to be on in that big triangular roundabout opposite the railroad station.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
eatuae

Post by eatuae »

Yes Yellow Book Shop is still open just b fore traffic lights by municipal building
Extensive range of books but exchange not as goo when old owners had it
morts
Rookie
Rookie

Post by morts »

I tried to call the Blue and Yellow Book Exchange from outside Thailand to the number I've found in this forum 080-948-2926 but it's said the number was not assigned. Could someone please let me know if this is the right ph number. If so, I wonder why I can't reach them. Thks
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

morts wrote:I tried to call the Blue and Yellow Book Exchange from outside Thailand to the number I've found in this forum 080-948-2926 but it's said the number was not assigned. Could someone please let me know if this is the right ph number. If so, I wonder why I can't reach them. Thks
If you read the post above this one it seems theres a new owner and TIT so they may never change the old one with the new owner.

If you looking for German books I have 600 for sale 8)

:cheers: :cheers:
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

both the blue and yellow and the bookshop across from the train station are still operating. the b & y only accepts books with less than a 15 yr. publishing date. no, it doesn't make sense but there it is. trade ins are worth 60 t0 80 baht and books sell for 140-160 baht. they have English, German, Dutch, French, Norwegian and some Spanish books. the place is a mess: alphabetically out of order, fiction and non-fiction mixed together, authors & same titles scattered and sometimes languages mixed together. but------it's your only choice for a large selection. they change employees quite frequently and they know nothing about books and I've never seen one reading a book. if the girl with the toy pomeranian is still there she is friendly and can speak some English.
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

I suggest you get into the e-books procedure. IMO the KINDLE is the best and download at much less cost than secondhand in Hua Hin through Amazon. OR Pirate Bay is free!
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Yup, I'm still using my Kindle after 3 or 4 years (and you explained to me how to d/l things, PET). I've currently got about 1,400 books on there and have deleted many more over the years as I've read them. And I haven't paid a Baht other than the cost of the device which was around 130 GBP back in the UK.
I know some people don't like this, but what the hell. I've always read a lot and have spent plenty of money on books in the past. Now it's my turn.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

morts wrote:I tried to call the Blue and Yellow Book Exchange from outside Thailand to the number I've found in this forum 080-948-2926 but it's said the number was not assigned. Could someone please let me know if this is the right ph number. If so, I wonder why I can't reach them. Thks
There are two different numbers on a bookmarker that I have, but I am not sure how current they are.

Printed number: 092 947 6126

Hand written number: 090 302 5830
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Post by ahandpatsy »

lomuamart wrote:Yup, I'm still using my Kindle after 3 or 4 years (and you explained to me how to d/l things, PET). I've currently got about 1,400 books on there and have deleted many more over the years as I've read them. And I haven't paid a Baht other than the cost of the device which was around 130 GBP back in the UK.
I know some people don't like this, but what the hell. I've always read a lot and have spent plenty of money on books in the past. Now it's my turn.

Lomuamart, do you upload books on the Kindle store that cost nothing, or do you have some cunning way of obtaining books that normally you would need to pay for?

Cheers

Ahandpatsy
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I use torrent sites to get my books (Pirate Bay, as mentioned above and Torrent Project). All material on these sites is free - books, films, music etc.
I'd reckon that I can find around 70% of all books that I look for. Obviously, the more obscure a book is, the less likely it is that you'll find it.
The torrent site downloads the book to your hard drive and then, using free software, you transfer the book to your Kindle.
Other then using Amazon for free books when I first got the Kindle back in the UK (you can't access these torrent sites there), I never use Amazon.
If you want to know more, I'll PM you.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

i occasionally read a book on kindle on my laptop but there's something satisfying about holding a book in my hands, turning the pages and seeing the print stand out from the page. I also enjoy looking through bookshops and picking up the books, smelling the paper and the 3 dimensional aspect of being in the same room as the book. I like being able to trade them in and not have thousands of books lying around the house and wondering what to do with them when I move. in short I'm a bookshop junkie. I've worked in them in San Francisco, London, Melbourne and Los Angeles. it's probably encoded in my dna.
morts
Rookie
Rookie

Post by morts »

handdrummer wrote:both the blue and yellow and the bookshop across from the train station are still operating. the b & y only accepts books with less than a 15 yr. publishing date. no, it doesn't make sense but there it is. trade ins are worth 60 t0 80 baht and books sell for 140-160 baht. they have English, German, Dutch, French, Norwegian and some Spanish books. the place is a mess: alphabetically out of order, fiction and non-fiction mixed together, authors & same titles scattered and sometimes languages mixed together. but------it's your only choice for a large selection. they change employees quite frequently and they know nothing about books and I've never seen one reading a book. if the girl with the toy pomeranian is still there she is friendly and can speak some English.
Thks so much for the information. We have several hundreds of the good used English pocket book and also many which we haven't even read them yet so we don't need any book trading credit at the moment.
-Do both of these book shops you mentioned above will pay cash to buy my books rather than giving us the trading credit? -If so, how much do they pay cash for one used English pocket book? Is there any limit how many books we can bring in to sell?
-What sort of books do they buy or don't buy?
-What is the name of the one across from the train station you mentioned above? Any contact ph number?
-Someone post in this forum that there is another one at the Grand hotel. Anyone have more information, name, contact information. How much do they pay about to buy each used book?

Thks so much for any answers on these questions.
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

handdrummer wrote:i occasionally read a book on kindle on my laptop but there's something satisfying about holding a book in my hands, turning the pages and seeing the print stand out from the page. I also enjoy looking through bookshops and picking up the books, smelling the paper and the 3 dimensional aspect of being in the same room as the book. I like being able to trade them in and not have thousands of books lying around the house and wondering what to do with them when I move. in short I'm a bookshop junkie. I've worked in them in San Francisco, London, Melbourne and Los Angeles. it's probably encoded in my dna.

I know what you mean Handdrummer and when I first had my Kindle I honestly thought is was a big mistake. However I soon found that the selection from second hand book sellers was difficult to find that interested me. So from Pirate Bay I can download all the books from #1 authors plus I can go into Amazon and get any book. I also gave Amazon a UK address and via that I receive an offer every day of what books that they are offering free ( i only look at the highest rated and there are some 50 a day)
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.