Bringing household goods into Thailand

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
dennism53
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Bringing household goods into Thailand

Post by dennism53 »

Bluesky, was there a duty?
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro! HST
dennism53
Amateur
Amateur

Post by dennism53 »

Big Boy, did you pay a duty
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Nothing whatsoever.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

My circumstance was not a personal move and it was over 10 years ago but no duty paid.
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I would think it worth contacting Bluesky's contact at the bottom of the previous page for current information. Asking a question shouldn't cost anything.

Likewise, when we shipped from the UK, Seven Seas were very obliging with providing answers to the tricky questions. From memory, we provided a copy of my wife's Thai passport, and they did everything else - couldn't have been easier. Here's their contact detail http://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/ . However, I should think any reputable shipping company should be able to advise current rules.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
lovedogs
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lovedogs »

Hi, im in the process of doing that right now. What ive been told is that everything has value. I have 8 tea chest boxes coming. No electricals, and have been quotedbby moving company, that I'll probably have to pay around $250 usd in tax. But who knows, its Thailand! I bought my dogs with me andbeven though i had already paid everything, when i got here it took me 7 hrs and another 15000 baht to get them out of customs.

Hope this helps
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

lovedogs wrote:Hi, im in the process of doing that right now. What ive been told is that everything has value. I have 8 tea chest boxes coming. No electricals, and have been quotedbby moving company, that I'll probably have to pay around $250 usd in tax. But who knows, its Thailand! I bought my dogs with me andbeven though i had already paid everything, when i got here it took me 7 hrs and another 15000 baht to get them out of customs.

Hope this helps
Brought our dog with us from Oz Last year and felt it was prudent to use a local agent for the thai side of things. Got a firm fully inclusive quote which was circa 13000 baht which included handling all paperwork and fees on the Thai side and local delivery of our dog to our nominated destination.
Dog travelled on same flight as us from Brisbane. On arrival wife phoned agents rep and asked for dog to be delivered to the airport so it could be with us on the journey to our hotel. Agent cleared dog and dealt with all matters at cargo and brought it to the passenger terminal. Dog was there waiting whilst we were still clearing customs.

The same company also deals with transport of personal items from Oz. It may be worth your while to contact them for a second opinion re personal items. I have included links to Thai site and aust contact.
As you have insufficient posts for PM please feel free to email me at address shown in profile if we can be of further help.

http://aas.co.th

http://www.whitepages.com.au/advanced-a ... -10706772B
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
dennism53
Amateur
Amateur

Post by dennism53 »

Let me fill you all in on my current move from the US.

Started in March with my Thai wife and I coming over with the two dogs ( one big, one small). Researched all the paperwork, worked with the Vet in hometown to make sure all the shots fell within the required windows, got the health certs from the Vet then sent them to the local USDA office for "wet" stamp.
Arrived on Korean Air (I picked them based on a number of recommendations from this and other forums, glad I used them). Flew from Reno to Seattle to Seoul to Bkk. Inspected dogs and kennels at security at every port, couldn't have believed everything was going so smooth!
Got to Bkk at about 23:00, claimed baggage, then found over sized baggage area where dogs were claimed back wall around carousel 7 as I recall) very near office where we took dogs to clear medical paperwork. Took about 45 minutes but everything went smooth, asked a lot of questions, glad the wife was there!
Left with copies of his reports so if the same dogs travel again we can show the paperwork was all correct and only shots and health are necessary to update.
I thought we were all clear and we proceeded to customs, silly me I thought we could then breeze through the green line, but wait sorry, dogs must go through red line and pay duty fee. For the two dogs it was $2,500 Baht, paid, got receipt and walked out with one Thai wife and two dogs, life was good!

Next adventure is shipping the sea container from Reno. (by the way the wife stayed in March with the dogs at our house in Dolphin Bay) yes that left me to pack alone, which come to think about it might have been the best thing!
20 foot container shipped on June 3rd from my house and sailed on June 10th, I flew in on June 17th. I was told that they would arrive and be ready to clear customs around July 10th. Used a shipper out of San Fran named FCL. Cost $2,700 US from my house to Port of BKK They are currently researching for me as to who will deliver from BKK to Dolphin Bay, estimate to be $1,500 US (seems here as in US longshoreman are paid a significantly higher pay scale than the average working stiff!) Interestingly enough their estimate had a line item called "Misc fee, no receipt available". My assumption is that we all know what that is! (hey look over there!)

More to follow as I get closer and household goods actually arrive.

I did ship everything in the wife's name so we'll see what that might help with.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Thanks for sharing!!!!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
dennism53
Amateur
Amateur

Post by dennism53 »

Thought I would paste the contact info.

Seems it isn't FCL but APX-Air Parcel Express Inc.

web site address included below

Tatiana
FCL Ops x 109
APX- Air Parcel Express INC
F.M.C. / OTI # 019153NF
Licensed and Bonded Ocean Carrier
T.S.A. - F.A.A. - I.A.C. Air Cargo Carrier
http://www.shipping-worldwide.com
877-597-0258 TOLL FREE TEL
877-592-0266 TOLL FREE FAX
305-597-0258 X 109 TEL
305-592-0266 FAX
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

FYI, with my Thai wife we shipped all our goods (electronics, household etc. except large items as washing machine etc...) and everything arrived at Bangkok port in perfect condition and we had nothing to pay. This was in 1996.
Canada
Novice
Novice

Post by Canada »

We are just waiting for our 20ft Container to be delivered from Laem Chabang. Port. (Paperwork is done and signed)
I would suggest you contact
Mr. Kelvin Lai Ocean Anchor Global Logistics (Thailand) Co. Ltd.
081 751 9268
import2@oaglog.com
He has been fantastic. Because we own the container there was a small amount of Duty and Tax payable on the container.
The rest was duty and tax free (imported under my Thai wife's name).
Kelvin fee all in including Port charges, truck to the village (500km) 25 ton crane to unload, paperwork customs clearance duty and taxes (50,000 Baht)
Djsin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Djsin »

Hey thanks for the info, my Thai misses n I moving to Sam roi yot in jan if the house sale goes well. Can't wait, missing it bad.
We will also be bringing our two dogs, both small, and a shipping container most likely. Where in Sam roi are u located? Not actual address lol. Just general area
jmhogan
Amateur
Amateur

Post by jmhogan »

We shipped the contents of our house from Canada to Thailand. We paid an agency about 48000-60,000B I think it was to handle it all. This included all the BS and pay offs that I am sure occurred. We had no real issues except and I can only guess at this but they opened the container and what fell out never got put back in. Funny thing was the stuff that fell out was of little value. We lost some towels laundry baskets and hangers my wife had to have. The other stuff was untouched. NOW Saying that the container was jammed tight. so it's is not like they could go thru it and take what they wanted(not that, that would ever happen) The Agency we used was there when they cut the locks and I believe the 60,000B included delivery for us. We had a complete list of what was on board with nominal values given to things.

OH yes absolutely ship it in your wifes name. Originally we had it in both our names and as it was arriving I paid a little bit more to the company back home to change the paper work to my Thai wifes name only. This saved us several thousand baht.

We had a computer print out listing everything and what was in each box and the value then a paper attached to each box matching the corresponding information from our list. It was all done so smoothly.

We used PJ COMPANY in Bangkok. We did check around and they were very fair about there pricing. There office is a little out of the way but they met with my wife and myself and explained everything to her. As they were checking the container he would send me SMS's detailing what was going on with photos. TOP NOTCH. AND the delivery driver AMAZING he not only drove but he helped our crew unload the truck. He also contacted us throughout the day letting us know where he was when he thought he would be there etc.

Best of Luck
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

If you are farang and come on retirement (non-immigrant O) visas you will pay tax on everything you import. And you are not allowed to import any car at all if you come on retirement visas (it's expensive to anyway, but I wanted to).
We used a good international removal firm with their own offices in both countries and had zero hassle from customs, just paid the duty, no inspection on a 40 ft box which was absolutely stuffed, (they were trying to jam the mattresses in last before shutting the door with difficulty. Yes, we shipped all out goods here too!).