Lithium Batteries

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
lomuamart

Lithium Batteries

Post by lomuamart »

Thinking about buying a golf range finder whilst back on a short visit to the UK and have found out that the model I'm interested in runs on lithium batteries.
Obviously, I'm not going to purchase the thing if the batteries are difficult to find in HH.
So, does anyone know if 3 volt lithium CR2 batteries are easy to get?
Thanks.
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Re: Lithium Batteries

Post by Bluesky »

You can probably get it from radio spares Thailand. It is a fairly standard battery often used in cameras. I have enclosed a link.

http://th.rs-online.com/web/p/camera-ba ... 2063723226
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

I should have added you should be able to source these batteries fairly easily through most camera shops in Hua Hin. I would however suggest you pay a little more and stick with a reputable brand as poorly constructed lithium batteries can disentagrate in a rather spectacular manner.
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Or try Lazada or the small electric shop near All in Hua Hin, I got a supply of batteries there for my gate remote which I couldn't find in Tesco/7/11 etc
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Thanks for the replies
Have spoken to my airline this morning about taking the batteries on the flight back. They advised "no way" so I can't stock up from the UK.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I made 4 flights last month with a lithium battery in my hand luggage. It was checked by airport security, but I wasn't stopped from carrying it. Are you sure the restriction doesn't just apply to hold luggage?

[Edit] http://www.airsafe.com/issues/baggage/batteries.htm
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Thanks, Nereus.
BB, Ethihad were insistent this morning that the batteries weren't allowed in either hold or hand luggage. Makes me wonder as some of them seem to be common in cameras.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

I bought CR 2032 in the link above for my bathroom scales from the shop near All in Hua Hin and they had others also.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I think you need to ask somebody who knows what they are talking about http://www.etihad.com/Documents/Baggage ... dItems.pdf

This is what the guy was probably referring to - taken from their website (probably didn't know the difference, and gave the safe answer)
battery.png

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I tried to ship ab iphone to the uk (a visitor had forgotten it). It was returned to my address with the instruction to remove the battery in front of P.O. staff and then resend it. Seems that mobile phones are targeted in hold luggage as they can be accessed remotely. That assumes that any equipment not accessible is okay.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Think about it, who stops you carrying the items? Airport security, not the airline. My batteries were removed from my hand baggage 4 times to check they were in tact etc by security a couple of weeks ago, and then replaced. The airline doesn't have a clue what you're carrying - its trusted to the 'professionals'.

Points 41; Position 18
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Big Boy wrote:Think about it, who stops you carrying the items? Airport security, not the airline.
Yes, unless at check in you present as cabin luggage something like a hoverboard in it's original box. Saw it happen in April, right after the airline changed their policy.

The airlines confuse the matter by such practices as using confirmation emails with information that differs from their website, both of which differ from the information on an email reminder 2 days before the flight. They also usually confound the problem by not dating their web pages or pdfs.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

This is true regarding the dates, but I've recently gone through 4 sets of airport security, and it wasn't a problem. Additionally, I've just remembered, I was carrying a further 2 spare batteries for my camera that weren't picked up.

Points 41; Position 18
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

I carry an 8400 mA lithium power bank in my hand carry luggage all the time. Never been asked about it. Just flew back and forth from Bangkok to Saipan via Manila and no one batted an eye. I have had the Nok Air checkin personnel ask if I have a power bank in my checked luggage, but they always say in the carryon is OK.

Here's what the US FAA says:

Pack Safe - Lithium ion and lithium metal batteries, spare (uninstalled)