Small electrical/electronic repair

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
crab
Amateur
Amateur

Small electrical/electronic repair

Post by crab »

I have an external USB case which I use with an old hard drive. The power has now failed. It's probably just a loose connection. Over the past few weeks there have been a couple of occasions when I've switched it on and it hasn't responded. A light jiggle did the job. Now it appears to be jiggle-proof. There is no problem with the hard drive.

Can anyone suggest a shop where I might be able to get it repaired, preferably at the southern end of town?
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Re: Small electrical/electronic repair

Post by J.J.B. »

Is this a USB enclosure for the HDD? Presumably if it's USB-powered it's a 2.5" HDD in which case you would probably be better buying a new enclosure and take the opportunity to get a USB 3.0 version too. I would recommend Invade IT for that, even though they are at the north end of town on Soi 6, or somewhere on the 3rd floor MV. It would probably cost a similar amount as a repair job.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
crab
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Small electrical/electronic repair

Post by crab »

J.J.B. wrote:Is this a USB enclosure for the HDD? Presumably if it's USB-powered it's a 2.5" HDD in which case you would probably be better buying a new enclosure and take the opportunity to get a USB 3.0 version too. I would recommend Invade IT for that, even though they are at the north end of town on Soi 6, or somewhere on the 3rd floor MV. It would probably cost a similar amount as a repair job.
Thanks for the suggestion, J.J.B.

It's a plastic enclosure for a standard internal SATA HDD, with a mains power lead and a USB cable. I remember it being stupidly expensive: 2,000 baht +. I have another simple dock, currently in use elsewhere. I wouldn't wish to pay more than few hundred baht for a replacement.

Actually, I think the repair could be a simple 10-minute job and, since I'm otherwise happy with the old case, would like to check that out as a first step.