Buying furniture in Hua Hin

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
rochana1
Rookie
Rookie

Buying furniture in Hua Hin

Post by rochana1 »

My wife and I will soon be moving to Hua Hin and will be buying or building a villa. I would greatly appreciate knowing the best place for purchasing furniture for our home. I would also like an estimate of the cost of furnishing a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom home (approximate 1500 sq. ft.); I realize the cost would vary depending upon the quality, and quantity, of the furniture, but knowing a ball park estimate would be helpful. We need to decide whether to ship our existing teak furniture which we had shipped from Thailand to the USA many years ago, or buy new furniture in Thailand.

I would greatly appreciate whatever advice anyone can give regarding this matter .

Sid L.
Big Boy

Re: buying furniture

Post by Big Boy »

If you are looking for teak furniture, I would suggest you contact our sponsor http://www.huahinmedia.com/siamoldteak.php

They are very approachable, and will not put you under any pressure.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
rochana1
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Buying furniture in Hua Hin

Post by rochana1 »

Thank you. I will check out that website. Sid L.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

rochana1 wrote:Thank you. I will check out that website. Sid L.
Also consider import tax, if you have a Thai wife you should be ok, but if not you might be faced with a big import tax bill
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ If he's repatriating Thai furniture, hopefully the old purchase or shipping receipts are still available. Shouldn't be any import duty at all on something originally purchased here. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

You will certainly be faced with a hefty import bill.

Go to the factories near Chiang Mai. Big smile is a good one. I paid 570k for an all in package on a 3 bed villa that I costed out in Hua Hin and Bangkok @ over 1m. They delivered and installed right down to cups, saucers and cutlery. I also purchased a number of things from Siam Old teak. Fantastic stuff and lovely people. That was 10 years ago so don't quote me on price. Although I did furnish a number of places and it cost less than half for the exact same you would get in Hua Hin. There again I pitched myself as a property building company, which we are who could supply ongoing business, which we have and continue to do, so you might not get the trade prices we get. Work it out. :wink:

Crazy 88
rochana1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rochana1 »

Thank you for your input. - My wife is Thai; we are returning to her home country after 23 years in the USA, so we will not be required to pay import fees. - I did get an estimate from SIAM OLD TEAK and experienced a serious case of sticker shock - approximately ฿950K to furnish a 2 bedroom (1500 sq.ft.) home. Their furniture is obviously of the highest quality, but, hopefully, we can get good quality furniture for much less. One other consideration: From what I have read recently, perhaps it is irresponsible to buy teak furniture for ecological/moral reasons. As a builder, do you have any thoughts on this matter? I appreciate your input. Sid L.
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

Hi Sid

SOT stuff is top notch. The stuff I have purchased from them I doubt I could find in the UK for 5 times the price or more. All of the teak is reclaimed from old bridges and buildings in Burma. With the restrictions on teak there are obviously a lot of people and let's not forget elephants out of work. Combined with the fact that it is reclaimed and provides employment in decent conditions for a number of people who have grown up knowing one trade that they have been taught from a child by parents and grandparents are 2 of the reasons I am happy to buy from them and send customers. Going to Chiang Mai you will save a lot of money and it is a nice place for a few days break.

Crazy 88
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I would also add that the after care service is excellent. I had a couple of small problems on 2 occasions - all sorted free of charge both times. You often see guarantees, but Siam Old Teak are very genuine with their promises.

Points 48; Position 20
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Is there still any mileage in going to the furniture places at Dan Singkhon? They used to get mentioned a while back, but not for a long time now, unless I have missed it?
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

A lot of the Dan Singkhon furniture requires a very large house - it is very bulky IMHO. Every time I wander around, I think how nice, but then come back to reality and realise I'd need a larger house.

Points 48; Position 20
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I recent visit to IKEA made me realize that INDEX is a poor imitation of this Swedish giant.
malcolminthemiddle
Guru
Guru

Post by malcolminthemiddle »

I have a couple of high end pieces for sale
FOR SALE (OAK DINING TABLE).jpg
FOR SALE (HOME THEATRE).jpg
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero