Need engineering ideas - launch for a boat

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Need engineering ideas - launch for a boat

Post by Nereus »

This winch you write about, is it 12 Volt or 220 Volt? Whatever it is do not be misled by the advertised pulling power.
All winch specs always refer to the pull on the bare drum. As each layer winds onto the winch the actual effective pull reduces, up to 35% or more. As an example a Warn 4WD 8,000 lb winch has the following:

Layer 1 –8000lbs.
Layer 2 –6777lbs.
Layer 3 –5878lbs.
Layer 4 –5189lbs.
That’s a loss of about 15% capacity per layer.

That may not look a lot, but when you factor in the slope, the drag from the sand and the length of pull, it may start to run out of puff just when you are approaching your tree. And that particular drum holds about 100 feet of rope.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

kendo wrote:Maybe consider a quad bike with a town hitch
By default, a quad bike has very little weight on the ground, hence your 4 psi tyres. Running along on flat ground it would probably do the job, but point it at a sandy incline and it will just dig a hole in the sand, and more dangerously, rear up and tend to topple over backwards.
T.I.G.R.
Guru
Guru

Post by T.I.G.R. »

Prcscct - Yes, one of those. With firm sand it should be easy to get in the water....migrant didn't say if he just wanted to fish or run around a bit but I can't see where it wouldn't work.

The tractor idea is probably the best, but depends on how big he want the boat to be, and then you still have to get a trailer, store and protect it etc.

Another alternative would be to anchor it in place which is what the locals do with their fishing boats.....in fact, maybe one could purchase a local boat new or get one refurbished. The guys in the fishing village next to us build them just below our back bedroom sometimes.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Nereus wrote:
kendo wrote:Maybe consider a quad bike with a town hitch
By default, a quad bike has very little weight on the ground, hence your 4 psi tyres. Running along on flat ground it would probably do the job, but point it at a sandy incline and it will just dig a hole in the sand, and more dangerously, rear up and tend to topple over backwards.
It's a matter of application and determination, I've seen a Thai tow two jet ski's on Cha Am beach with a Honda Wave!
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Again, thanks for the ideas, and Nereus' technical knowledge. I'm afraid if I got the airboat I'd try to drive it to BKK, supercharged to go over traffic!!

The quad bike use I have seen in the states, but I believe our slope would defeat it.

I was thinking some type of cradle using tires similar to the quad bikes, for the sand, and a winch to raise it. Launching it is mainly downhill so should be easier.

Thanks for the winch info Nereus, I have used them, but never looked at specs since my usage was minimal
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The problem with all of this is that if the process becomes too difficult and time consuming, the boat will sit and interest in it lost.

I've known quite a few people who had the luxury of a marina berth or fixed mooring spot, and they still lost interest in their boats after a few seasons. Needs some deep thinking. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

prcscct wrote:The problem with all of this is that if the process becomes too difficult and time consuming, the boat will sit and interest in it lost.

I've known quite a few people who had the luxury of a marina berth or fixed mooring spot, and they still lost interest in their boats after a few seasons. Needs some deep thinking. Pete :cheers:
You are absolutely correct! I have had many boats, but after the first couple that were trailered to the water, I swore I would only have one that was moored, docked, or otherwise easily accessible.

There are no launch ramps around us anyway, so if I can't come up with something usable (had some great ideas here) I won't do it.

Now, also, I have more time on my hands, but still would only go with the easy in option.

My last boat, in California, I had on land, but for a reasonable fee monthly they provided a lift in service so all I did was have to wait about 15 minutes once I arrived at the marina. When done they pulled it out (all by a large sling) and pulled it to the wash off area. I washed the boat and left it, they returned it to my designated spot :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Thanks for the winch info Nereus, I have used them, but never looked at specs since my usage was minimal
Another point to watch out for with winches: Most of the 12 Volt 4WD type are designed to just pull, and have an automatic internal brake inside the drum. Some of them can be driven out without a problem but many, even most, are designed to be free wheeled out of gear to pay out. Those type can very quickly destroy the brake, and also Dyneema rope because of the heat generated. More expensive types have an external brake, which is not a problem.

If you are looking to use a 220 Volt winch, then it more than likely will be a hoist type rather than a winch, in which case it will have an external brake and can be driven in both directions. Caveat emptor!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Should a small petrol powered capstan winch be any good? The sort of thing used for installing underground cables and the suchlike.