Speaker Wire

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
malcolminthemiddle
Guru
Guru

Speaker Wire

Post by malcolminthemiddle »

I need to buy some speaker wire.

Maximum distance from amplifier to speaker is 12m. Total length is approx 45m.

Any advice on where to buy locally and what specification I should be asking for is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Re: Speaker Wire

Post by Bluesky »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (40.28 KiB) Viewed 1686 times
You will probably find what you are looking for there. Carry a range of cables. The owner does speak good English.
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

Have Pm'd you for further info regarding specs and impedances. VERY generally on limited info provided, depending on the loudspeakers you intend to drive you should be able to do a cable run up 15 meters with a copper conductor of approx 1.29mm dia or 1.30mm sq. or 16 AWG without dicernable degradation or frequency roll off.
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
AJBangkok
Amateur
Amateur

Post by AJBangkok »

Speaker wire is one of those things that audiophiles will get real heated over and claim all sorts of things.

I bought a sound system for my bangkok condo about a year or so ago and had 6 KEF ceiling speakers installed. When it came to the speaker wire, the Audi shops were trying to sell me massively expensive wiring. One quote the wiring cost more than the speakers.

I did I little research and basically and ended up ordering 600' of 12awg oxygen free copper speaker wire made by monoprice off eBay ( monoprice sell it themselves on eBay) it cost me around $160 and another $250for shipping and taxes so around 14000 baht at the time It took 2 weeks to get. ( I can't remember the exact cost 11k rings a bell but I'll say 14k just in case )

The cheapest quote I had from and audio store for wiring was 78,000 and the most expensive Was around 12Ok. Crazy. They couldn't explain the difference except that it was special speaker wire.

I''m sure you will be able to find some plain speaker wire here in Thailand at a reasonable price. You should get 100% oxygen free copper and from the distance your are mentioning probably go with 14 awg size.

eBay has some guides on buying speaker wire so you may want to check them out
IMG_0962.JPG
IMG_0962.JPG (125.47 KiB) Viewed 1407 times
I have around 300' left over but i'm not coming down to Hua Hin for a few weeks .