A Strip of carpet to practice putting

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
lomuamart

A Strip of carpet to practice putting

Post by lomuamart »

Does anyone know if I can pick up a 20-30 foot strip of carpet from somewhere? It dosn't have to be wide. I just need it to lay out in the front room or patio to practice my putting.
It dosn't need a hole or anything like that. I'm just in real need of some stroke practice because my putting is dreadful at the moment and I'm seriously thinking about breaking my putter over my knee!!
Thanks in exasperation :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Geko
Professional
Professional

Re: A Strip of carpet to practice putting

Post by Geko »

Artificial turf at most big DIY stores is what I used to practice at home but my putting is still crap, what to do next breaking the putter sounds good, but seriously thinking of buying a new putter but how to select the correct style for me is the real question?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Funnily enough, I've just come from Home Pro, and while I was waiting for them to get what I needed from the storeroom, I had a wander. I found myself looking at the artificial grass, thinking how realistic it looked (even had brown bits in it). I thought then that a golfer could use it for putting practice.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Big Boy wrote:Funnily enough, I've just come from Home Pro, and while I was waiting for them to get what I needed from the storeroom, I had a wander. I found myself looking at the artificial grass, thinking how realistic it looked (even had brown bits in it). I thought then that a golfer could use it for putting practice.
I have a practice putting green for sale.

georgeneidorf@gmail.com
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

OK. Thanks for the suggestions. Might have a look at those.
All courses have different speeds on the greens so I've got to adapt every time.
But if I can't start the putt on the right line, I'm knackered!!
Sod it. I might just as well snap my putter in two!! Only joking.
PS, BB you're not suggesting that I look at the grain/colour of the grass are you? I can't get the ball going in the right direction let alone looking at sheen/grain/ speed. That's a bit advanced for me and my putter at the moment. But it does sound good and maybe gets my putter a reprieve!!
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

handdrummer,
OK, I'll send a PM to you shortly.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

lomuamart wrote:PS, BB you're not suggesting that I look at the grain/colour of the grass are you? I can't get the ball going in the right direction let alone looking at sheen/grain/ speed. That's a bit advanced for me and my putter at the moment. But it does sound good and maybe gets my putter a reprieve!!
No, not at all - I'm the original golfing ignoramus. I was just impressed at how real the grass looked.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I suppose it's all about practice. I go and enjoy the range. That occupies a morning for me. Four trays (160 balls) over a couple of hours. It gets me in the groove - sometimes.
But without my own transport, there's nowhere for me practice the boring (and really important) short stuff. And practice sessions with return taxi fares to the courses starts getting a bit expensive.
So, I can play fairly well tee to green, but once I'm on that short grass it's hit and hope. And it's mostly hopeless.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I think artificial grass would be to long and slow (unless you're talking about the old kind of artificial turf with no grass). You need to find a close crop carpet where the ball will roll fast or else you may mess up the speed/length of your stroke.

The greens are fast there. In fact a long piece of green felt fabric would probably be better on a smooth tile floor. It would be a closer match to the better greens there in speed.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Artificial grass comes in many different grades and pile length the cheaper graded product like you used to get in fruit and veg stalls on their displays would suit your need. Google Namgrass i used to haul their products nationwide in the UK.
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.