Electrical earth grounnd rods

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
deepee
Guru
Guru

Electrical earth grounnd rods

Post by deepee »

Anyone come across a source fo these? They are solid copper rods ,about 15 mm in diameter and should be at least 750mm in length.
Complexity is so simply overrated
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Electrical earth grounnd rods

Post by Bristolian »

Thaiwatsudu has them. I saw them there last weekend. They have different lengths
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
deepee
Guru
Guru

Post by deepee »

Thanks Bristolian,
We asked there yesterday and were told "mai mee".
Do you recall where you saw them?
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

They are in the electrical area with the cables and conduit. They are at the end of the aisle cosest to the entrance and are standing upright I guess to display the different heights
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
deepee
Guru
Guru

Post by deepee »

Thanks for that, guess I should learn to ask more than one staff member.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

I bought a one meter one in Home Pro last year. They also had 2 m ones. Don't see why they wouldn't still have them.
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

IMG_0898.jpg
IMG_0898.jpg (64.8 KiB) Viewed 2101 times
You should find what you need at this electrical wholesaler/supplier. As well as earth stakes from memory she also carries the correct cable bonding clamps. The owner speaks excellent english. If you should require electrical test instruments from the cheaper 'Sanwa' through to the higher quality such as 'Fluke' she carries some in stock but can order in fairly quickly. Should you also be looking for an RCD (Residual Current Device) Safety Switch she does have those also.
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Do not have to be solid copper they can be steel with copper coating, this is cheaper and just as good.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
deepee
Guru
Guru

Post by deepee »

Thanks all. I was checking my water pump and found the earth wire disconnected at the pump by the garden guy
Further investigation revealed only a 200mm length of mostly rusted steel rebar earn rod with the now loose earth cable. It had only plastic taped to the rod.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I've seen a steel nail in concrete with a wire wrapped around the top passing for a grounding rod. No idea if this works, nor do I want to find out! :shock: :laugh: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

deepee wrote:Thanks all. I was checking my water pump and found the earth wire disconnected at the pump by the garden guy
Further investigation revealed only a 200mm length of mostly rusted steel rebar earn rod with the now loose earth cable. It had only plastic taped to the rod.
So that begs the question of just what are you going to connect to the earth rod?

Probably not much of a risk with an outside water pump not having an earth connection, but to be of any use all of the outlets in the house, plus items such as hot water heaters, ovens and other permanently wired appliances, need to be earthed. And then there is all of the portable appliances that either do not have an earthing conductor, or Somchai has cut it off, or a 3 pin plug wired up to anything, as most appliance cables only have 2 conductors.

There are regulations here that stipulate an earthing system, but like most everything else here, rules are not abided by. The system used here is supposed to be "MEN", which means "Multiple Earthed Neutral", whereby ALL of the neutral conductors are bonded (connected) together to the earthing conductor, including the distribution system transformers.
I doubt that the average "electrician" here even knows what a "neutral conductor" is. There is also a rule about what the maximum allowable resistance of the earthing system is, usually considered no more than 1 ohm.

If you have been fortunate enough to have a house where an earth conductor has been installed, it can be tested, but again you will probably have to test it yourself, as a blank look will more than likely be the response from the average "electrician" here.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
deepee
Guru
Guru

Post by deepee »

Nereus,
I was keen to earth the pump as it supplies to the house.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

deepee wrote:Nereus,
I was keen to earth the pump as it supplies to the house.
Hmm, Ok. If it gives you peace of mind by all means ground the pump. However, I think that you have a better chance of winning the lottery than being electrocuted because the pump supplies the house.

To make your house just about 100% safe you should consider installing some form of RCD protection breaker. There are a couple of different types, but the most common type in use now does not require any earthing system. They can be retro fitted to all types of consumer units, but different makes may have different mounting requirements.

Or the following has now become common, but may be a bit expensive.

http://www.safe-t-cut.com/en/
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!