Any tip for good painters

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
Icebear1
Novice
Novice

Any tip for good painters

Post by Icebear1 »

I have a house in Soi 102 and have not had good experience with the people I have used for painting the walls inside and outside. Now it is time to remove the old aircon and have the walls painted before the new is installed. Any of you have experience and info about relaiable and not so expensive painters or handymans that can do this for me?
Thanks for helping :D
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Any tip for good painters

Post by oakdale160 »

I can understand hiring someone to do electrical or plumbing work for you, but painting!!!
Geko
Professional
Professional

Post by Geko »

Give the guy a break 'oakdale160', you don't know his personal circumstances maybe he is an invalid or getting on and can't manage painting, he's just asking for some recommendations plus he is giving a Thai some cash.

'Icebear1' you may be able to contact someone here that can help.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=29850
moja
Guru
Guru

Post by moja »

A good painter is Charlie he is Thai but speaks reasonable English. His number is 0861643648.
You will need to knock him down in price but he does a good job and even talks about undercoat almost unheard of here.
AJBangkok
Amateur
Amateur

Post by AJBangkok »

I will need to get my house painted shortly and have a basic question. How do painters price the job? Is it by square meter? And if so what is a rough cost. I would like to buy the paint myself.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

A general comment. Painting inside plasterboard walls and ceilings is a snap even for the novice. If not disabled anyone should be able to do it.

Plaster over brick/block wall exteriors is another matter entirely. Many houses will have moisture creeping up under the paint up to 12" from ground level. You'll see it as in most instances existing paint will be bubbled and lifted off. Old paint needs to be removed in that area...sit and let the plaster dry for 24 hours.....apply a moisture block product to help stop future moisture from migrating from plaster to paint.....sit 24 hours....apply a sealing primer over the existing coating on the entire house.....sit 24 hours. Apply two coats of top coat....24 hours between coats. If you stick to that method and you use a good product you can forget about repainting for about 10 years+.

Watch your contractor like a hawk and don't let him add water to your paint! They love to do that here even if you buy the product. :roll: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

I think that it's all been said:-

1) get a painter that others recommend
2) agree a price for the job of the basis of
a) you buy the quality paint yourself.
b) paint is not watered down
c) primers, base coats are used where you deem necessary
d) all prep is inspected before painting commences
e) you specify the number of coats of paint required

A good tradesman will have no problem with any of the above.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain