Power cuts and electric supply fluctuations

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Re: Power fluctuations - electric supply

Post by Name Taken »

Nereus wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 10:54 am It probably does not need pointing out, but then again: :wink:
The plumbing is entirely different if using a single storage tank hot water system. It needs to be either built that way during construction, or if later,the "Thai way" with all the piping exposed on the walls.
:agree:

And I'm not sure the 'Stiebel' system is worth all the trouble or even the best option because it is still very different from what is used in the U.S.
In the U.S. the water tank and water heater are simply 1 integral unit and not separate.
But Stiebel seems to be the only company in Thailand at the moment that makes something that I guess you could call a Hot Water Heater or at least consider to be similar to a Hot Water Heater in the U.S. :?
The Stiebel system is not something that I would want to use but if other people are happy with it then that's great.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

In the U.S. the water tank and water heater are simply 1 integral unit and not separate.
What makes you think that the heater is separate to the tank? It is an integral storage tank and heater element, just mounted horizontally.
You may be referring to a system that has an oil fired boiler, storage tank and small circulating pump for central heating. Not much call for that here!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

Nereus wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 9:42 am
What makes you think that the heater is separate to the tank? It is an integral storage tank and heater element, just mounted horizontally.
You may be referring to a system that has an oil fired boiler, storage tank and small circulating pump for central heating. Not much call for that here!
Yes, that is what I was referring to and I have seen Hot Water Heaters in the U.S. that use electricity or natural gas to heat the water in the storage tank. Very similar to the Hot Water Heater in this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_hea ... rolina.jpg (Electric tank-type storage water heater US)

Other than the plumbing being an issue which you already mentioned in your previous post, why would electric Hot Water Heaters that are used in the U.S. not work here in Thailand?
Geko
Professional
Professional

Post by Geko »

There are many makes of combined domestic hot water 'electric heater/storage tanks' in Thailand, available online or DIY stores. I had mine installed when the house was built. The one shown in the Homepro link https://www.homepro.co.th/product/1016384 looks to be good but maybe for installation inside the house, mine is a bit more rustic and is installed outside. Simple electricity supply, cold water 'in' fed from the houses cold water circuit and pump, hot water out at the same press as the cold water pressure, the hot water temperature in the tank is simply regulated by a control thermostat built into the tank cutting power off the tanks heating element when the desired water temperature is reached and on again when temperature drops.

This supplies hot water to bathroom sink, bath and 2 shower units via a hot / cold mixer tap.

The hot water for the kitchen sink is from a small water heater under the sink.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

This question has been discussed before:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=33978&p=433471#p433471
Other than the plumbing being an issue which you already mentioned in your previous post, why would electric Hot Water Heaters that are used in the U.S. not work here in Thailand?
Where does it say they wont?
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

J.J.B. wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 10:46 am
Name Taken wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 9:55 am
So do you have a separate water pump and water tank? :? And could you provide a link to the system you are talking about because I looked at the Home Pro website and did not see anything like what you have mentioned in your post on the Home Pro website.
We have just one pump, a standard Mitsubishi one we got from Big Kiang (again, the first one failed but not due to hard water) and perhaps it serves two circuits, I don't know. We have one combined water heater/tank on the wall that came from HomePro https://www.homepro.co.th/product/1016384 and when we turn the hot tap on in the house, we get hot water. If you want to come and take a look, you'd be more than welcome. Might even have a cold Singha for you too.
:cheers:
I have 1 more question, Does the Stiebel Eltron Water Heater in your link keep the water in your tank heated all of the time or does it just heat the water instantly when the hot water tap in your home is turned on and the water starts flowing through it?
Geko
Professional
Professional

Post by Geko »

Maintains water in the tank at the temperature you set on the thermostat, so hot water is always available as long as the power is on and thermostat set high enough.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

Just as Geko says.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

Geko wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 9:24 am Maintains water in the tank at the temperature you set on the thermostat, so hot water is always available as long as the power is on and thermostat set high enough.
Thanks again for the reply.
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

Unfortunately I need to keep this thread alive.

So I am having a problem with my Hitachi Water Pump not maintaining a constant and consistent water flow to my new Stiebel Eltron Shower Heater and that is causing problems with the Shower Heater. The Shower Heater requires a constant and consistent flow of water in order for it to heat water properly and what is happening is the water flow to the Shower Heater is surging and not consistent when the tap/faucet is opened slightly and if the tap/faucet is fully opened then the water flow is too high and the water is cold.
This is not just a problem that is/has affected me alone there are at least half a dozen threads on other Thailand internet forums dealing with this same issue. Just Google 'Hitachi/Mitsubishi Water Pump problems' and see for yourself.
This is the reason why the U.S. uses a very different system of residential home water heating because it is much simpler, less problematic and more reliable. Homes in the U.S. don't have 3 different separate systems(Water Tank, Water Pump, Electric Shower Heater) just to be able to have a hot shower.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I know as much about this type of thing as I know about golf, which is zilch. However, we had exactly this same problem i.e. the water flow to the Shower Heater is surging and not consistent when the tap/faucet is opened slightly and if the tap/faucet is fully opened then the water flow is too high and the water is cold.

Ours was nothing to do with the power or the shower heater. We'd recently had a new water pump fitted, and it was fitted badly. Got a guy in to look at the problem, took him 5 minutes, and we've been happy ever since.

Maybe a complete red herring, but.....................
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

....also check every joint you can to make sure air is not getting into your line between pump and house, or between tank and pump. We had that problem and the water spit like an angry snake and screwed up the operation of the heater. Once the air leak discovered and fixed, all was fine. The problem is it is a bi^%h to find where the air is getting in. I was lucky as it was an elbow joint coming out of the in ground tank on the way to the pump and the first stop on my line search. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Geko
Professional
Professional

Post by Geko »

"Name Taken' a few things to check and questions:

Sounds crazy but is the water supply, connected to the showers inlet not outlet? They can be crossed.
Is the household water pump fed from a external water tank, if yes is the tank above or below ground?
With the water supply to shower unit isolated, does the water supply at the taps around the house splutter and expel air when running?
Have you tried priming the household water pump?
Have you tried cleaning the household water pressure control unit? these sometimes get clogged with debris causing pressure surging at the pump.
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

Geko wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:04 pm "Name Taken' a few things to check and questions:

Sounds crazy but is the water supply, connected to the showers inlet not outlet? They can be crossed. The shower is hooked up correstly
Is the household water pump fed from a external water tank, if yes is the tank above or below ground? Yes, It's an above ground water tank
With the water supply to shower unit isolated, does the water supply at the taps around the house splutter and expel air when running? Yes, It effects all the water taps in the house not just the shower unit
Have you tried priming the household water pump? I'm not sure how to do that
Have you tried cleaning the household water pressure control unit? these sometimes get clogged with debris causing pressure surging at the pump. I checked it and it's very clean, the pump is only about 2 months old.
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

prcscct wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:22 pm ....also check every joint you can to make sure air is not getting into your line between pump and house, or between tank and pump. We had that problem and the water spit like an angry snake and screwed up the operation of the heater. Once the air leak discovered and fixed, all was fine. The problem is it is a bi^%h to find where the air is getting in. I was lucky as it was an elbow joint coming out of the in ground tank on the way to the pump and the first stop on my line search. Pete :cheers:
Thanks for the reply Pete.
I think that's more than likely what is causing the problem, an air leak in the plumbing/pvc pipework somewhere.