Artists Gallery/Shop

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Artists Gallery/Shop

Post by Pagey »

I've seen a painting advertised online I like for sale but I have to order it from a thumbnail picture so I can't view it for real and not buy direct from the artist, from an agent who of course takes his commission from the artist. From past experience, many galleries do the same paintings, eg years ago they all had the one of the girl with a blue head scarf/veil over her face with just her eyes showing (from Time magazine cover I think).
On Monday I took a rare walk around the road from the Hilton down to the pier, round Chomsin and the general town area back to the clock tower and I never saw any art galleries. Where are they all please ?
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Artists Gallery/Shop

Post by Nereus »

I believe the biggest one is the "Artists Village" just off the Pala-U road. Many different artists have displays there, although some may only be on the weekend.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Nereus wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:26 pm I believe the biggest one is the "Artists Village" just off the Pala-U road. Many different artists have displays there, although some may only be on the weekend.
Never been and never thought about it to be honest, I may have to drive up there, thanks. :cheers:

Man in pub circa 1987.
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

Yes,The Artist Village is well worth a visit. Most of the artists will do a painting to order. Closed on Mondays, cafe/ restaurant there as well now. Entry is 50baht for Farangs and 20 baht for Thais.
The artist SavaVudh is particularly good,situated right at the back.
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

if you walk down Poonsuk,passed bintabaht and Selakam there is a local artists shop on the right,at the next junction there is one diagonally across on the left.There is also a relatively new gallery/venue in either Dechanuchit or Chomsin on the right heading towards the beach.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Thistle wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:23 pm if you walk down Poonsuk,passed bintabaht and Selakam there is a local artists shop on the right,at the next junction there is one diagonally across on the left.There is also a relatively new gallery/venue in either Dechanuchit or Chomsin on the right heading towards the beach.
Mmmm, pretty much all the areas I walked around apart from that part of Poonsuk, I'm sure ten years ago there was one on every street corner in the tourist areas !

Man in pub circa 1987.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Yes, there are two shops selling paintings on Dechanuchit and several on the small lanes around that area, although I can't remember exactly where.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

There's a gallery called 'Unity' on soi57 at the junction with Poonsuk that I like because of a couple of artists that are represented there. They both work at the artists village but you won't see much of their work there, as they want to sell it!

You'll also see some excellent work at Cicada.
Talk is cheap
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

OK Caller, thanks. Is that where you got the painting of Hua Hin that's used on the cover of that pamphlet ? (I think it was you that owned it?)

Man in pub circa 1987.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Pagey wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:31 pm OK Caller, thanks. Is that where you got the painting of Hua Hin that's used on the cover of that pamphlet ? (I think it was you that owned it?)
No I got that from Budis, the artist, who sells out of Cicada and a gallery in Bangkok. Nice guy. My missus secured the discount!
Talk is cheap
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

So yesterday morning I walked down Dechanuchit again, albeit on the other side of the road although that shouldn't make any difference. I came across one small gallery which was closed, it said on the door open 10.am and it was about 10.15. A few yards further I came to Unity as mentioned by Caller so went and had a look around. No artists there but spoke to the lady, told her what I want and showed her a photo. No problem, can do and she quoted a good price, it was a bit less than the guy selling online which I expected as his was framed and he takes commission, so I didn't haggle as I'm sure even after framing it will come slightly under his price. I told her I would send her better photos when I got home and confirm my order. I walked a bit further and there was another gallery on the opposite side of the road with an artist at work. He has some decent paintings of Rolling Stones and the painting I want is music related so I showed him the pic on my phone and asked how much. He quoted exactly double the guy at Unity which came out a bit more than the framed online version so I passed although I'm sure there was room to haggle if I needed to.
So I went home and sent better photos and she said it will take about 2 days but no request for deposit or any cash. I was in the area today so I popped in and my painting was already in progress, probably half completed. This was 10.30 and the other gallery was still closed again.

I don't know how I missed them last week although I was a tad distracted by the ladies in the massage shop a few doors down shouting at me as well as girls in another 1 or 2 massage shops !

Thanks for the advice guys. :cheers:

Man in pub circa 1987.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

dundrillin wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:46 pm The Artist Village Entry is 50baht for Farangs and 20 baht for Thais.
did not know they charged an entry fee, is this recent ??
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I wondered why you couldn't find anywhere as that Unity shop must be about a hundred square metres with paintings on display in full length glass windows on two sides, although it is surrounded my massage shops, so you have to stay focused!
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

joelle wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:00 pm
dundrillin wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:46 pm The Artist Village Entry is 50baht for Farangs and 20 baht for Thais.
did not know they charged an entry fee, is this recent ??
Yes,in the last month . I hope the do a rethink it's a silly move in my opinion.