shade sails (where to buy?)

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
MDMK
Ace
Ace

shade sails (where to buy?)

Post by MDMK »

looking for a shade sail, preferably made to measure, but ready made would be ok too

does anyone know if I can buy these in Hua Hin ?
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Re: shade sails (where to buy?)

Post by 404cameljockey »

http://www.castashadowasia.com/

Possibly the best, definitely not the cheapest. If you visit them on Soi 112, Darren Sherry will show you examples of their work on big housing projects, major hotels, etc. They do undertake small jobs too (even just a single awning for your house).
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

that's great, thanks. I'll take a look when we're there. What I need is dead easy, 4.8m wide by 3.2m long, hopefully won't break the bank (or my baggage limit)
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

These guys are good as well, at the other end of Hua Hin, near Soi6.

http://www.huahinawning.com/en/
Talk is cheap
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

I can't find them (castashadow) on google street view on soi 112, and generally when I can't find on street view, I can't find period

on that website their address is given as 146/52 Petchkasem Road

any extra pointers ?
Last edited by MDMK on Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

caller wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:08 pm These guys are good as well, at the other end of Hua Hin, near Soi6.

http://www.huahinawning.com/en/
that's brilliant, thanks. Found them in one go on google street view :-) canal road towards cha-am, past soi 6, next to Roses Hotel, lots of awnings and shadey parasol-y things out front.

Thank you. Will save the gps coordinates now
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

some helpful person PMed me, it appears that this Darren guy (from Castashadow) has gone back to Australia and the soi 112 branch has closed down, though the mother company has taken over the Hua Hin branch, I am assuming at 146/52 Petchkasem Road

I will go to Hua Hin Awnings as that's nice and easy for me to find :-)

Thanks all !!
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

MDMK wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:24 pm some helpful person PMed me, it appears that this Darren guy (from Castashadow) has gone back to Australia and the soi 112 branch has closed down, though the mother company has taken over the Hua Hin branch, I am assuming at 146/52 Petchkasem Road

I will go to Hua Hin Awnings as that's nice and easy for me to find :-)

Thanks all !!
Yes he PMd me too. The street address 146/52, email and mobile number are all the same as on the business card I have from Darren later last year. I won;t be driving down 112 until after Somkran to see if the branch there is now definitely empty.

Whether their service and specifications will be as good as when he fronted it I have no idea. He built the HH team, I wonder if they remain the same.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

An ex-pat opens a business trains That staff and they provide good service. Then he leaves and the staff continue the business---how long does it take for the quality of work and service to deteriorate -- before he gets to the airport.
pegman58
Amateur
Amateur

Post by pegman58 »

I bought one new and paid 140k baht from castaway... Ended up breaking my cement fence from the wind on 3 supports. Worst decision ever. Ended up having cement pillars and a proper roof built for 30k baht finished in two weeks. Good luck
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

All good Pegman. But I bet you didn't't get any skyhooks, a rock stretcher or a chocolate spanner included with the cheap option !

Crazy 88

Oops... Forgot the tartan paint !
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

crazy88 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:01 pm All good Pegman. But I bet you didn't't get any skyhooks, a rock stretcher or a chocolate spanner included with the cheap option !

Crazy 88

Oops... Forgot the tartan paint !
:D That's funny! But anyway people who want shade sails will get shade sails. A company that installs for large developments and hotels should be trustworthy (IMO). On the other hand cheap prices will generally mean cheap spec for canvas, steel, wood and workmanship. But you wont know that until the staining, rusting and rotting a year down the line LOL.

Personally I rarely buy the cheapest or the most expensive of anything, but something in the middle that I also feel comfortable with.
:cheers:
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

pegman58 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:42 pm I bought one new and paid 140k baht from castaway... Ended up breaking my cement fence from the wind on 3 supports. Worst decision ever. Ended up having cement pillars and a proper roof built for 30k baht finished in two weeks. Good luck
140k baht, for a shade sail ?????? :shock: :shock: :shock: no wonder it pulled the fence down, it must be made of stainless steel at that price.
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

oakdale160 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:25 am An ex-pat opens a business trains That staff and they provide good service. Then he leaves and the staff continue the business---how long does it take for the quality of work and service to deteriorate -- before he gets to the airport.
Oh dear what a pessimist.
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

PET wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:18 am
oakdale160 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:25 am An ex-pat opens a business trains That staff and they provide good service. Then he leaves and the staff continue the business---how long does it take for the quality of work and service to deteriorate -- before he gets to the airport.
Oh dear what a pessimist.
Maybe realist, I guess it depends on your personal experience. I've found that farang run businesses here tend to have a stronger work/business ethic, so long as the farang constantly makes his mark on the employees (not with a whip....). There are certainly exceptions and of course there might be some slight unintended prejudice working in my mind, although I try to be impartial in judgement.

As I said, no idea how this will play out with the sail/awning company, only time tells. Reputations rest on work previously done.