Looking for someone who could bring me a laptop from the US

Hook up with friends, arrange meetings, outings and visa trips here.
m0n5ter
Novice
Novice

Looking for someone who could bring me a laptop from the US

Post by m0n5ter »

Hi there!

I've got a strange request today. My current laptop (which is a job, fun and everything for me) is going to die soon, I need a new one. And I need a specific model: Lenovo ThinkPad W520, nothing else (don't ask me why, long story :) ). And they don't have it here, even in BKK. Moreover, I would not want Thai symbols on a keyboard. So I decided to buy it in the US. I could buy it online, of course. But it will cost some (reasonable) money for shipping plus some (unpredictable and might be totally unreasonable) customs fee. The laptop costs about $1600 (along with additional hard drive and memory), so customs could charge up to $500 which is way too much.

So I'd like to ask you for some help here. Maybe you know some guy who is living in the US and is going to visit Thailand soon? May be this guy could be so kind to buy this laptop for me and bring here it with him? it is just a regular 15" laptop, it weights about 3kg. And I don't need a box, so it would be easy to transport. I would meet him in the airport with flowers, orchestra (kidding), and a bundle of money (not kidding). Also a nice bottle of Black Label is waiting for the hero :)

Thanks!
PeteC

Re: Looking for someone who could bring me a laptop from the

Post by PeteC »

If the above doesn't work, look at http://www.lenovo.com/sg/en/ . They have the model you want and are an inexpensive and a short flight away. If buying on-line, Singapore is also an ASEAN member and goods between members are supposed to be duty free.....but I don't know the implementation timetable or the current included product index at the moment. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
m0n5ter
Novice
Novice

Post by m0n5ter »

Thank you for your suggestion, but unfortunately it seems to be impossible to buy anything on Lenovo's Singapore site. No prices, no checkout, nothing.. Obviously it is too complicated for me. I also tried Malaysian and Hong Kong sites - the same result.
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

If you can even find anyone to mule that thing for ya I would bet a nickel that you will have to buy it online and have it sent to whomever at their Stateside address in order to get it over here. I cannot imagine anyone you have never met, nor ever having met you, being willing to put up their $$ and bring that over here with just a promise in hand.

Probably an offer you should consider making if you are serious about getting it here.

Good Luck
peppsi
Novice
Novice

Post by peppsi »

Hey, Did you get your laptop? If not I am going to be in Thailand at the end of september. Do let me know here.Edward
m0n5ter
Novice
Novice

Post by m0n5ter »

Thank you Edward! I've already bought it online. Had to pay $300 for shipping+customs :(
peppsi
Novice
Novice

Post by peppsi »

No problem, I was coming there anyway and to help out someone is never a problem. I have Lenovo also.
misslovely
Novice
Novice

Post by misslovely »

Hi there
I do all shipping from US to Thailand under bbsworldcargo co.,ltd
[Content edited, self promotion is not permitted on this forum, please contact them to advertise your business]

Joon