Hua Hin Forum software/server upgrades

Help us improve the forum! Make a suggestion for the board or ask questions here. This area is also for forum announcements.
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Hua Hin Forum software/server upgrades

Post by Lev »

In the coming month HHAD's tech team will be undertaking the herculean task of upgrading the forum software and database. The current system is around two years old and in need of an overhaul.

You may have also noticed database connection errors increasing in frequency lately, this is due to greater activity from search engine spiders and bots combined with dated software. The upgrade should alleviate this and a number of other problems such as the incomplete search function and slow loading times.

We will keep you updated at all times via this thread and post the date of the upgrade at the top of the board, we will try to keep downtime to a minimum. The new system will be installed and tested by our moderators first before it goes live but we do expect a few glitches on the way as any large forum would, in advance we thank you for your patience.

The new system will have many new features, a comparison and summary of which can be read here for those interested..
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The only thing that has gone from YES to No is "HTML in posts" Is that a good or bad thing? Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Just had a look at the 3.0 version in that link and there's a lot of stuff you'll be able to do that isn't possible at the moment, providing......of course......it's all enabled. There are certainly lots more options for everyone.

Hmmm......should be a blast!
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

prcscct wrote:The only thing that has gone from YES to No is "HTML in posts" Is that a good or bad thing? Pete :cheers:
This has been changed by the programmers to enhance security, everything that was doable in HTML will be doable using BBcode instead, there is more info on that here:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/faq.php?mode=bbcode
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

I have been getting the folowing message for the last 2 hours when trying to connect to the site. Just got back on now. Only got it on HHAD's site, nowhere else. Strangly, it was only the forum index page affected, not the other areas of the site. :?

phpBB: Critical Error

Cannot connect to database

I guess this must be tied in with what was said in the OP then? Or is it my connection/computer/location etc.

:cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Many of us have been getting that SF over the past months. I think it is associated with the need to upgrade the software. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Thanks to all who work on the website!! :cheers:
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Looking at the BBc3 codes and all the green ticks where the BBc2 code has red crosses, it would seem that the new system will be a lot better.

I don't profess to know the slightest thing about the technical details, just as long as it helps to make HHAD a better site, then I'm happy.:D

Good luck to Lev and all the Mods who will be testing this new system.

:cheers:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

spitfire wrote:I have been getting the folowing message for the last 2 hours when trying to connect to the site. Just got back on now. Only got it on HHAD's site, nowhere else. Strangly, it was only the forum index page affected, not the other areas of the site. :?

phpBB: Critical Error

Cannot connect to database
You may have also noticed database connection errors increasing in frequency lately, this is due to greater activity from search engine spiders and bots combined with dated software. The upgrade should alleviate this and a number of other problems such as the incomplete search function and slow loading times.
Francois
Professional
Professional

Re: HHAD forum software upgrade

Post by Francois »

Lev wrote:In the coming month HHAD's tech team will be undertaking the herculean task of upgrading the forum software and database. The current system is around two years old and in need of an overhaul.
Tremendous job to achieve. Thanks to all the team.
François
And me, still the most self satisfied of men
I was almost as drunk as myself
(Jacques Brel)
nevets
Guru
Guru

Post by nevets »

I have had the same Spitfire and also slow to load on the site . Many thanks for keeping up with the technology in advance. :cheers:
Rider
Ace
Ace

Post by Rider »

Can't wait as it'll mean I can fire videos directly onto the forum via the embed function :)
buksida

Post by buksida »

If anyone wants a preview of what the new system will entail have a look at the recently upgraded Bangsaphan forum:

http://www.bangsaphanguide.com/forum/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
stgrhe
Professional
Professional

Post by stgrhe »

Pleasant look, I like it!
nevets
Guru
Guru

Post by nevets »

Lev . page was in different colours , after you confirmed forum ok i re-booted router and all is well thank goodness. :)