Hua Hin Forum software/server upgrades

Help us improve the forum! Make a suggestion for the board or ask questions here. This area is also for forum announcements.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Hua Hin Forum software upgrade

Post by Nereus »

Big Boy wrote:
splitlid wrote:in the 'latest topics' box on the RHS it states that there are certain amount of replies to a topic.
I.e. the art of salt exhibition states that there is one reply. when in reality there are no replys just the opening post.
I can't answer the iPhone question, but I asked the same question about the count when testing - the upgraded software counts the OP as reply 1. Illogical, but it is what it is :?
Well, it is neither here nor there really, but on my display it is showing as "0" replies. :?
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Really? Maybe I couldn't answer it then :oops: .
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Can you give me an example of the thread you are looking at please?

[Edit] Are you looking at threads which pre-date the software upgrade, in which case they will still read 0?

Points 41; Position 18
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Re: Why this Forum change?

Post by Pleng »

margaretcarnes wrote:Sorry guys but the new format and layout of the Forum just doesn't hack it for me. The colour is sickening for a start.

With time the sickly colour might become easier on the eye. But for now it really isn't floating my boat.
The colour scheme could probably do with toning down a bit - perhaps just darken everything by a few shades, but after a few days of use... the forum icons are still just an eye-sore.

I think I've kind of figured out what means what now... but I've still no idea why some of the topic icons feel the need to animate - and it's kind of off-putting. Usually on phpBB installs there's a 'help' link which lists what the topic icons mean, but I couldn't find it here. I've had a look through the FAQs but couldn't find anything. Perhaps it would be possible to import the old icon set into the new theme - I don't think they'd look out of place?

Another issue is that the sidebar layout is inconsistent. The outer boxes, and everything else on the forum have rounded edges, while the content has square edges. I don't know if the template in use has the option to have a 'flat' stlye. If it does that would be the easiest fix; and flat is pretty much where modern design is headed. If not then a bit of styling to make the content rounded would make thing look a lot nicer.
Attachments
hhf_feedback.png
hhf_feedback.png (150.79 KiB) Viewed 841 times
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Big Boy wrote:Can you give me an example of the thread you are looking at please?

[Edit] Are you looking at threads which pre-date the software upgrade, in which case they will still read 0?
Err, the thread that splitlid quoted. :?
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

OK, as you say, neither here nor there, but it would be nice to understand how a piece of software can push out 2 different answers to a single question :?

Points 41; Position 18
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

Lev wrote: Either way there are two other solutions if iPad users are still not happy with the layout, both of which we have tested on iPads:

1) View New Posts
2) Tapatalk

Thank you for your patience.
Also applies to iPhones and all other tiny mobile screens - Tapatalk really is the most efficient way to use a forum on a mobile or tablet.

The counter in the sidebar is a third party add-on, it increments from 1 now instead of 0, a minor niggle.

We are considering holding a poll on the colour scheme, it is not set in stone and can be changed if it will please the majority.
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

RSS feeds have now been fixed: http://huahinforum.com/feed.php
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

Lev wrote:We presume from the lack of response from iPad users that our software tweaks worked. On recommendation from the software developers, the sidebar has been removed from view for iPad users because Apple software does not render it properly.

Either way there are two other solutions if iPad users are still not happy with the layout, both of which we have tested on iPads:

1) View New Posts
2) Tapatalk

Thank you for your patience.
How could we be unhappy with all the ads at the bottom of the page where we never have to see them? I imagine your advertisers are less than thrilled.

Remember that Apple "invented" the viewport meta tag and has provided extensive documentation on how to use it. If a page using the viewport tag doesn't render properly it is the developer's fault, not Apple's.
Siani
Legend
Legend

Update to forum

Post by Siani »

Will the forum be going back to the old format of "view your post" etc. At the moment it is not so easy to use :(
buksida

Post by buksida »

Its all here:
vnp.jpg
vnp.jpg (40.28 KiB) Viewed 707 times
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

Frank Hovis wrote:I find the 'New Posts' screen a little bit busy and tightly packed, maybe a bit more spacing between posts would help.
I also find the 'unread posts' icon to be very small and not instantly obvious that there are unread posts.
Also... those scrolling icons are quite distracting.

Just my tuppence...

Apart from that everything seems OK.
Agreed Frank.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

margaretcarnes wrote:
Frank Hovis wrote:I find the 'New Posts' screen a little bit busy and tightly packed, maybe a bit more spacing between posts would help.
I also find the 'unread posts' icon to be very small and not instantly obvious that there are unread posts.
Also... those scrolling icons are quite distracting.

Just my tuppence...

Apart from that everything seems OK.
Agreed Frank.
So what would you like removed?

Points 41; Position 18
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

Big Boy wrote: Agreed Frank.
So what would you like removed?[/quote]

The scrolling icons!
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

But they've been there for years :? Why are they suddenly a problem? Have you extended your view to full width?

Points 41; Position 18