Hua Hin Forum software/server upgrades

Help us improve the forum! Make a suggestion for the board or ask questions here. This area is also for forum announcements.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Hua Hin Forum software upgrade

Post by richard »

Below the posting window is 'Options' and 'Attachments'

Hit attachments
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

At the bottom where it says Options, Attachments. click on Attachments - it is even easier from there on. If you need a tutorial, let me know, but you should be fine without.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Like London buses!!
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Sorted - many thanks guys.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

I agree with Pleng - it's the aesthetics and some basic rules of page layout which seem to be the main issues. I don't think any of us would purport to tell web designers what to do - but what I would like to know is what level of art and graphics design is needed to be a web designer - or is it all just about the functionality?

And to try to settle the prob with those rolling icons on page left - the reason they are now drawing more attention and have become a distraction is because they are now enclosed in circles which draw the eye.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

Unfortunately, Margaret, design and aesthetics are highly subjective and any criticism is being taken personally as the web designers in this case see it as them being told what to do by people they likely deem unqualified. Design purists will tell you that form follows function and I think the design team here have done a good job at upgrading the functionality of the site. If you don't like the choice of colour and other add-ons, you have to 'live with it'.

Another thread this morning has reminded me, quite starkly, that this site is a commercial enterprise run for the benefit of a very small number of people, it is not a social one for the benefit of us all and this is why our input is of limited interest. When in Rome...
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

J.J.B. wrote: Another thread this morning has reminded me, quite starkly, that this site is a commercial enterprise run for the benefit of a very small number of people, it is not a social one for the benefit of us all and this is why our input is of limited interest. When in Rome...
A social website for the benefit of all, devoid of advertising, would require some form of subscription and payment from its readers to cover the running costs, technical/server costs, staff, legal fees, taxes, software development and design, time and input from Admin and Mods, and a raft of other things that we need to pay to keep this website online. The likelihood of garnering enough readers to cover these costs is about as likely as Thailand offering all long-term farang residents a visa-free stay in the country. :roll:

Our programmers have done extensive browser testing and this screenshot shows the current compatibility results:
hhf browsers.jpg
This reinforces our stance that colours and aesthetics are a personal criterion, not a technical one. We aim to please the majority of our 4,000 daily readers which we believe we have achieved - less than ten have complained, the other 3,990 have not. However, as we have already repeatedly stated; "you cant please them all".
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

The Mods get paid? I always assumed it was voluntary.
This is the way
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:laugh: Unfortunately, if you read it carefully, the word 'Mods' fits nicely between the things that need to be paid and the raft of other things that we need to pay. :wink:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

All forums have highs and lows you get out of it as much as you wish to put in.
Any potential visitors to Hua Hin will find this information portal will enhance there visit. I for one look upon this as an online community and have met and got to know a lot of people through the forum and really enjoy that.
Different personality points of view and sharing emotions is all richness in my opinion but you can't always please everyone. A lot of hard work and time is involved in keeping this forum very popular for seasoned posters and newbies alike.
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I'm pretty sure that newbies coming to the site will be impressed with what they find - some of the old hats might prefer some of the older style layout, but I'm sure they'll soon get used to it and forget about how much they preferred this and that - I personally think the new version is on balance, much improved.
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

I found a Chrome plugin thing that lets me change the styling of the page, so I now have it spaced out a bit and without the flashy icons, so you can put my earlier suggestions in the bin - if they are not there already :) .

All I need to do now is figure out how to have the 'New Posts' button available directly on the page.

My new look page
noicons.jpg
noicons.jpg (44.52 KiB) Viewed 1018 times
buksida

Post by buksida »

If you set your home page or the book marked page for HHF to this it'll go straight there:

Code: Select all

http://www.huahinforum.com/search.php?search_id=newposts
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

I would love having the Quick links choice at the bottom to so you dont need three click with the mouse to get to the unread post. Hope I'm not upset anyone with this comment, as it seems some people is a little sentisive.

:cheers: :cheers:
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

To add some positive feedback to the mix...

I like the way that clicking the 'mark all topics read' and 'mark [sub] forum read' links no longer involves a page reload.