How to Use Quotes on Hua Hin Forum

Help us improve the forum! Make a suggestion for the board or ask questions here. This area is also for forum announcements.
Big Boy

Re: How to Use Quotes on Hua Hin Forum

Post by Big Boy »

BIG BOY’S GUIDE TO USING QUOTES WITHIN A POST

NB: I’ve tried to be as comprehensive as possible, but may have missed a scenario. This guide shows the way that I achieve various results, but accept that others may have other ways of achieving the same result – basically, there is no right or wrong way to use quotes.

If I have missed anything, or if something is wrong, please feel free to PM, and I will make the necessary amendments.

In developing this guide, I have used a very old thread from 2004, the content of which has no relevance to this guide apart from being used as an example. The example thread is:
Figure_01.jpg
INDEX

1. The basic quote of another post.
2. Quoting 2 or more posts.
3. Quoting part of 1 or more posts.
4. Using the Edit Menu Quote button.
5. Using the Edit Menu Quote button, but personalising it with a name.

1. The basic quote of another post.

If I want to quote Ian James’ post, I simply click the Quote button:
Figure_02.jpg
That will produce the following window:
Figure_03.jpg
Figure_03.jpg (18.93 KiB) Viewed 10721 times
At this point it is normal to write your response after the last square bracket ‘]’.

2. Quoting 2 or more posts.

This time I will quote Ian James’ post 1st and PeteB’s post 2nd.
To do this, for the first quote that I want in place, I simply repeat the actions at 1 above.
To place a 2nd (and subsequent post) in place, I would open a 2nd session of Hua Hin forum.
On the 2nd session, go to PeteB’s post and select the Quote button.
Figure_04.jpg
This will produce the following window:
Figure_05.jpg
You need to highlight all of the text inside the white box, and using your keyboard, press Ctrl + C together (this will have copied the text)
Close down your 2nd session.
Return to your original session, and place your cursor to the right of the quoted text, and press the enter key to move down a line. Press Ctrl + V together (this will paste the text you copied earlier), and your screen should look like this:
Figure_06.jpg
3. Quoting part of 1 or more posts.

To demonstrate this, I will use Viseman’s post, which for ease of reading states,
“If Americans can say the word aluminium using four syllables instead of five, does that make us smarter or just more concise?

Proud to be part of the 2.15%”
We’ll say that I want to quote, “using four syllables instead of five, does that make us smarter”
Repeat number 1 until you see this:
Figure_07.jpg
Ensuring that you don’t touch the square brackets [or any text within them] you simply edit the quote. You need to change it as per this:
Figure_08.jpg
Figure_08.jpg (15.8 KiB) Viewed 10721 times
You can add of your own text before or after the quote.

4. Using the Edit Menu Quote buttons.

When making a post, there is always an Edit Menu ie;
Figure_09.jpg
Within this Edit Menu, you will see there is a Quote button ie:
Figure_10.jpg
Figure_10.jpg (15.13 KiB) Viewed 10721 times
This can be used to insert a quote (not name specific) anywhere within your post eg:
Figure_11.jpg
Figure_11.jpg (19.4 KiB) Viewed 10721 times
And the post would look like this:
Figure_12.jpg
Figure_12.jpg (9.53 KiB) Viewed 10721 times
5. Using the Edit Menu Quote button, but personalising it with a name.

Example 4 gave us a quotation without any name associated ie the quote line was
[quote ]Plymouth Argyle are destined for the top[/quote ]
To personalise that quote to Big Boy, the above line has to be amended to:
[quote =”Big Boy”]Plymouth Argyle are destined for the top[/quote ]

NB: To make the above text work, I have added an unnecessary space after the e of quote.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Re: How to Use Quotes on Hua Hin Forum

Post by Big Boy »

In the above user guide, some of the copied text may be too small to read (depending upon your screen resolution). To get over this problem, whilst keeping your finger on the Ctrl key. move your mouse wheel away from you (your print will become larger). When you have finished reading the guide, return your screen to its normal size by keeping your finger on the Ctrl key and moving your mouse wheel towards you.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18