Using quotes on the forum

Help us improve the forum! Make a suggestion for the board or ask questions here. This area is also for forum announcements.
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Using quotes on the forum

Post by dundrillin »

How do I manage to reply to a specific post in a thread eg in a string of 10 posts how can I highlight number 6? Please be gentle I'm new to this! Thanks
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Re: A simple question

Post by Bristolian »

Click on the quote button of the specific post that you want to reply to. It's located in the bottom right corner of the post
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

Bristolian wrote:Click on the quote button of the specific post that you want to reply to. It's located in the bottom right corner of the post
Thanks for that. It seems so obvious now that you have shown me.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Bristolian wrote:Click on the quote button of the specific post that you want to reply to. It's located in the bottom right corner of the post
You can also quote more than one post by following Bristolian's advice, then scrolling down to the 'Topic review' and finding the 2nd post you want to quote - this time the quote button is at the top right of the post.
dundrillin wrote:How do I manage to reply to a specific post in a thread eg in a string of 10 posts how can I highlight number 6? Please be gentle I'm new to this! Thanks
The only problem with this is that, as far as I can see, the Topic review only has the last page of the thread. If I wanted to quote text from a post on a previous page, I would open the forum again in another tab (so that I had the forum up twice on my browser) and copy/paste from there to my reply.
This is the way
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

The "Suggestions & Announcements" section of the forum is the best place to go for advice on the technicalities of the forum, and as it happens it contains a comprehensive guide to using quotes. Have a look here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18228

While we're asking simple questions, how do I create a hyperlink? By which I mean how do I avoid having to display the entire URL address of the link, but conceal it within the word 'here' (in the above example), which would be displayed in a different font colour?
This is the way
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

dtaai-maai wrote: While we're asking simple questions, how do I create a hyperlink? By which I mean how do I avoid having to display the entire URL address of the link, but conceal it within the word 'here' (in the above example), which would be displayed in a different font colour?
[ url=full link here ]link text here[ /url ]

(without the spaces)
splitlid
Guru
Guru

Re: Using quotes on the forum

Post by splitlid »

or click HERE for a full tutorial.

HEHEHEEHEHE
"All the otters don't understand me"
"We might make you bother"
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:tsk: :D
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

You can also quote only the relevant part of a post by just copying and pasting it and using the "Full Editor" options. Highlight the pasted text and then hit the "Quote" button at the top.
How do I manage to reply to a specific post in a thread eg in a string of 10 posts how can I highlight number 6...
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?