Can't upload small attachment

Help us improve the forum! Make a suggestion for the board or ask questions here. This area is also for forum announcements.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Can't upload small attachment

Post by hhfarang »

I just tried to upload an image (several times) that is 116.3 kb on my computer and it fails with a message saying that it's too big. The message states that attachments can be no bigger than 250 kb... :? :? :?
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Can't upload small attachment

Post by Bristolian »

Is the picture larger than 800 pixels wide as this is also a limit on size?
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

Image upload restrictions are 200kb and 1000px wide. Anything over this or non-standard format will not upload.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Just go to the below, select 760 pixels, or custom (1000 pixels), BEST quality, hit RESIZE red button. End product will work on the forum.

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Thanks Pete but it still doesn't work... message still says it's too big.

"Image upload restrictions are 200kb and 1000px wide. Anything over this or non-standard format will not upload."

Image size is 135.3kb, 676px by 1000px and it is .jpg

Which one of those is the problem Lev?
Screenshot1.png
Screenshot1.png (35.12 KiB) Viewed 7255 times
Screenshot2.png
Screenshot2.png (21.29 KiB) Viewed 7255 times
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

I've had problems previously if the image has been over 800 pixels in any one direction - perhaps worth taking below 800?

:cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

Yes, try dropping the height to 800 and see it if works.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Lev wrote:Yes, try dropping the height to 800 and see it if works.
Yep, that worked but there's no point now because that last resize (from 1000 to 800) rendered the quality so bad that the text is no longer readable.

In this day and age of computing with huge sensors and terabyte drives I'm surprised that this forum's software is still so limiting in attachment size.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

If it doesn't fit for some reason, just post a link to your photo journal HHF., like Flikr etc., where the photo is located.

The rest of the debate involves costs I imagine, and who wants to pay for it.... which is no one...so I'll stay out of that debate. :D Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

hhfarang wrote:
Yep, that worked but there's no point now because that last resize (from 1000 to 800) rendered the quality so bad that the text is no longer readable.

In this day and age of computing with huge sensors and terabyte drives I'm surprised that this forum's software is still so limiting in attachment size.
I sent you a PM a few hours ago, asking you to e-mail the image so that we could look at it to identify the problem. Nothing in my inbox yet.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

prcscct wrote:just post a link to your photo journal HHF., like Flikr etc., where the photo is located.
Does that work now? I tried it a couple of years ago, and it wouldn't accept flickr links.

Points 41; Position 18
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Big Boy wrote:
hhfarang wrote:

I sent you a PM a few hours ago, asking you to e-mail the image so that we could look at it to identify the problem. Nothing in my inbox yet.
Hi Big Boy,

I didn't send it because the problem has been identified... the height/width has to be less than or equal to 800 pixels, which doesn't allow for a lot of detail. I was trying to post a map, which is pointless if you can't read the names of places on it. As someone else posted, to get more detail I would probably have to link to the photo on another web site.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Big Boy wrote:
prcscct wrote:just post a link to your photo journal HHF., like Flikr etc., where the photo is located.
Does that work now? I tried it a couple of years ago, and it wouldn't accept flickr links.
No idea. I thought a link was a link?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've tested a flickr image, and it definitely doesn't work.

Points 41; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

Flickr masks the file name to stop other websites hotlinking to images which it has now claimed as its own. Just checked the image dimensions here which are 1000x1000, this should be large enough for 99% of images really since screens are getting smaller these days. No idea why it had to be reduced to 800 though ... glitch in the Matrix I guess.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson