Alternative way to upload images to the forum.

Help us improve the forum! Make a suggestion for the board or ask questions here. This area is also for forum announcements.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Alternative way to upload images to the forum.

Post by 404cameljockey »

I read so many people saying 'when I figure out how to...' I'll suggest a way to upload without need to reduce the size of your pictures/photos or worry about pixel numbers.

1) Create a free account at https://imgur.com/ where you can drag and drop your images (any size) from your computer (maybe not easy on a smartphone though). You should store the images on Imgur (not delete them afterwards) so they will always be accessible on the forum, otherwise the image will stop displaying on the forum page. This costs you nothing so it's not a hassle.

2) Click on the uploaded pic on your Imgur page and copy the 'direct link' to your clipboard:

3) Select the 'insert image' button above the window you are typing in:

4) Paste the direct link between the markers [ img] and [ /img] in your post (note there is no space after the '[' in the actual link):

5) Select 'Preview' at the bottom of your post to check that you did it all correctly and the pic displays, then submit the post to the forum. :)

:thumb:
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Re: Alternative way to upload images to the forum.

Post by VincentD »

Is image deletion perhaps the reason why I am unable to see the photos from the HHAD birthday party thread circa 31st Jan 2006?
วินเชนท์
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

VincentD wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:06 am Is image deletion perhaps the reason why I am unable to see the photos from the HHAD birthday party thread circa 31st Jan 2006?
Possibly, if a link was posted to an image which was not on the forum's storage and which has now been deleted.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Insert Image has always been available. Many find it harder to use, preferring to upload to the forum instead,.

Nothing is deleted from this forum without good cause. However when the system crashed when hosted by one of our previous hosting companies a few years back, many images were lost. The hosting company's backups did not work either. We manually restored what we could over a period of time, but some photos were lost forever :cry:

I think you'll find the birthday party was Jan'13 BTW (if we're talking the same party).
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

I think VincentD is talking about the party we had in JW's Bar in 2006 and the date was 28th of January.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:thumb:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Hah! Some success with the 'Wayback Machine'. :mrgreen:
https://web.archive.org/web/20080131173 ... _itemId=64
วินเชนท์
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

Yes, you are quite right Vincent and that's where I meet you first time!!
Have no idea if you remember though.
Many years ago and we have probably changed a lot since then!!
buksida

Post by buksida »

Those halcyon days ... :cheers:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

Yes Sir, that was the first time I meet you too!
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

The easiest would be for the forum to incorporate an automatic resize function when uploading images. I do not know how many times I have tried to upload images and have been told it is too large or in other ways not conforming to the requirements the forum owners have put down. And many times I have tried to resize and again being told it is not accepted. Maybe due to kb size or something. I guess it should be possible to have an automatic image resizer, since sites like FB and Google etc resizes images when they are uploaded.
YNWA
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

As a reminder per below concerning one of the standard resize sites many use. The below example is the largest photo you can make that will post. Tick CUSTOM in section #2, put 999 in the box for pixel size, tick BEST image quality in section #4. Of course anything less than 999 pixels and lower than BEST will post also.

http://www.shrinkpictures.com

Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 02.44.18.png
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Yes, Norseman, I remember well. If I am not mistaken, the kebab machine on that night was courtesy of Buksida? Good times. Also met one or two not so active members on subsequent trips, Bircow is one that comes to mind, and only met Usual Suspect once. Not seen JW for a while but that's what happens when I pass by so seldom. Last time I was in HH was quite a few months ago, did visit the Fishing Lodge but it was my brothers who were doing the fishing..
วินเชนท์
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

404cameljockey wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:51 am I read so many people saying 'when I figure out how to...' I'll suggest a way to upload without need to reduce the size of your pictures/photos or worry about pixel numbers.
Actually, it's hotlinking, not uploading. Many forums don't allow it. One problem is it costs more because it uses the forum's bandwidth while uploaded photos are read from a hard disk on the server. Other reason, as mentioned in this thread, is photos disappear when external accounts are closed.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Homer wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:47 pm
404cameljockey wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:51 am I read so many people saying 'when I figure out how to...' I'll suggest a way to upload without need to reduce the size of your pictures/photos or worry about pixel numbers.
Actually, it's hotlinking, not uploading. Many forums don't allow it. One problem is it costs more because it uses the forum's bandwidth while uploaded photos are read from a hard disk on the server. Other reason, as mentioned in this thread, is photos disappear when external accounts are closed.
It's not good to confuse non-technical users with terms like hotlinking, simpler to say uploading. I did explain that the images are stored away from the forum's server (actually they are uploaded if the user puts them in an image hosting account), and should not be deleted.

If it's allowed then it can be done. And no-one closes image hosting accounts like Flickr and Imgur once they've opened them as far as I know, there's no reason to?

I just decided I'd seen enough comments that people don't upload pics because they are confused by the idea of having to resize images even to the extent of worrying about pixel count, and feel we probably miss some interesting posts (not cats playing the piano...).