Converting from DVR format

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
migrant
Addict
Addict

Converting from DVR format

Post by migrant »

Moving over in a few months and have some movies, concerts, and general interest programs saved on the DVR.

Isd there a way to transfer it to a disk, or thumb drive?

Thanks! :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Geko
Professional
Professional

Re: DVR to ????

Post by Geko »

Migrant

There are many 'free' and 'pay for' programs out there for DVD to ??? conversion, for both PC & MAC, most can be used to convert DVD's to many different output formats depending what you want.

I have had good results with 'Wondershare Video Convertor' its very fast and easy to use, you can get a free trail.

http://www.wondershare.com/pro/video-co ... timate.htm
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Re: DVR to ????

Post by J.J.B. »

It will depend on the brand of DVR, many of them such as Sky boxes, have copy protection built-in that make it pretty much impossible to simply plug it into a computer and copy the content across. You could get over than by taking the box apart and hooking the hard drive directly to a USB/SATA interface but it is not for the technologically ambivalent. Another option is to plug the DVR video output to a video capture card/device within your computer although this could also include a copy protection stream and would also mean real-time capture and very large files to handle.

Wondershare is a great conversion program for quick-and-dirty fixed-format conversions but if you really want the programs and have the space, you'd be better off bringing the whole DVR with you.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: Converting from DVR format

Post by migrant »

Thanks! Technologically ambivalent is actually more advanced than I am.

It's an AT&T box so I am sure with all safeguards.

JJB you mentioned bringing the DVR, I thought that they would be specific to AT&T and useless in Thailand (but again I'm not tech savvy)
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

You are correct that they will be locked to At&T for viewing new content but I don't think there would be any problem viewing what is already recorded onto the device. It's not going to pick up any AT&T signal from the LOS but my advice would be to not plug it into an aerial socket or phone line in Thailand. The unit will presumably think it's in an internet outage and should happily play your existing content since it has no knowledge of where it is on the planet. If you tried to connect it up it may try to phone home and realise it's not in Kansas anymore but I'd be very surprised if it had that kind of security protocol built-in.

Unless anyone knows any different, I guess there's only one way to find out..!
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Thanks!