Warning for Betternet VPN Users

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Big Boy

Warning for Betternet VPN Users

Post by Big Boy »

I've been happily using Betternet Free VPN as an extension to Chrome ever since it was recommended on this Forum.

In the beginning I regularly checked my IP Address to ensure what it was doing was what I wanted it to do. As time moved on, I became complacent. It has been playing up recently, regularly dropping me out of the Internet. I've uninstalled/re-installed it several times in recent weeks. The downside is that it has stopped hiding my IP Address. I've confirmed this with a series of tests today.

I'm not saying this has happened to all Betternet users (things often seem to happen to just me), but I now realise that I've probably been downloading for a couple of weeks with my true identity on show to the world. :shock:

I'm now using the Hola VPN extension for Chrome, which is a little harder to use than Betternet, but a lot more flexible. Several tests, and all seems well.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Warning for Betternet VPN Users

Post by sateeb »

Last couple of days having connection problems with TOT. Pretty sure I'm not using any proxy settings but I keep getting a proxy setting warning. Internet works fine if I use my mobile hotspot.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'd been having connectivity problems for a few weeks - in particular with this forum. I've had a few ding dongs with forum admin, but in the end they were right (they usually are :D ), the common denominator was Betternet. Switch it off, and everything was fine. Switch it on, and grind to a halt (although downloads continued at a rate of knots).

The upshot of it all is Betternet is toast, long live Hola (and check that it is working regularly - don't become complacent).

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Question: Does anyone know of anybody being caught downloading or streaming movies etc using their real ISP? I've never heard of it happening in Thailand.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

HHTel wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:10 am Question: Does anyone know of anybody being caught downloading or streaming movies etc using their real ISP? I've never heard of it happening in Thailand.
When I tried to download a programme using PirateBay it immediately gives a warning that your IP address is available to anybody to see and that in Thailand you run the risk of prosecution- probably loaded by one of the VPN companies!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

HHTel wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:10 am Question: Does anyone know of anybody being caught downloading or streaming movies etc using their real ISP? I've never heard of it happening in Thailand.
I don't, but I've heard of people receiving warnings from their ISP.

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The reason I ask is that I've downloaded over 1,000 movies without using a VPN and never had any warnings except on the download sites advertising various VPN's. I use a VPN to access blocked sites (The Daily Mail until recently) and to access 'catch-up' TV programs in the UK.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: RE: Re: Warning for Betternet VPN Users

Post by hhinner »

Big Boy wrote:
In Thailand??
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Dannie Boy wrote:
When I tried to download a programme using PirateBay it immediately gives a warning that your IP address is available to anybody to see and that in Thailand you run the risk of prosecution- probably loaded by one of the VPN companies!!
I think that's an ad. Seen similar on several sites.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

hhinner wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:36 pm
Big Boy wrote:
In Thailand??
Yes, a friend 'claims' to have received a message that he is being tracked. True or false, I don't know, but I'd rather not take the chance, whilst hiding is so easy.

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

That often comes up. Usually an ad to buy 'switch off tracking' software. All the 'warnings' I'v seen are linked to buying something!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No, he claims to have been warned by his ISP - as I say, true or not, I don't know. However, it's no effort to install a freebie extension these days and be sure.

Points 41; Position 18