Can I divert my thai mobile number to uk mobile?

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
magsandbilly

Can I divert my thai mobile number to uk mobile?

Post by magsandbilly »

Hi there

I will be visiting the uk for a few months and want to be able to still receive calls to my thai mobile. Is there a way that I can call forward my AIS pay as you go number to my uk mobile number?

Previously living in Hong Kong I was able to use a company called Onetel that I set up call forwarding of my Hong Kong landline and mobile numbers to my uk mobile.

Can’t seem to find anything similar for Thailand.

Appreciate any advice input on how to call forward.

Thanks
buksida

Re: Can I divert my thai mobile number to uk mobile?

Post by buksida »

Not sure if this is possible but I just used a dual SIM phone with both Thai and UK SIMS in it when I needed the Thai one in the UK.

Be aware though that AIS roaming charges are astronomical - you will need to top up with thousands before you go.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

If all you want to do is receive calls on your Thai mobile, then you just need to enable roaming on your Thai SIM before you go. As @buksida points out though, that might work out to be quite expensive.

Like him, I always use a dual-SIM phone with both my Thai and UK numbers so for instance, I can still receive SMS messages (usually for 2-factor authentication purposes) on either number.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

You can set up call forwarding with AIS, the following is in Thai however just go to AIS in Market village, they will do it for you.
http://www.ais.co.th/easylife/call-mana ... rward.html

Easy alternative is tell your Thai people to call your UK number
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I have diverted my calls from my mobile to another on a few occasions. I've even diverted it to a uk mobile during a visit to the UK. In that case, as pointed out, you need a lot of credit on your Thai phone as the cost is very high.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Roaming and data charges these days are astronomical.

Just get a local SIM (doesn't matter single or double, just don't use the Thai one. The second SIM slot does tend to slow the phone down at times). Make sure you have a data package for the duration of your trip and use social media apps (I use Whatsapp and LINE) and have been using this method for years. It's not foolproof, but it saves a big bundle on roaming charges. Even less expensive if WiFi is available.

I know some people who, even with 'unlimited' data packages, have come back to a hefty bill because they use data the same way they do at home.
วินเชนท์
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

The OP says he wants to be able to receive calls made to his Thai SIM. Just getting a local SIM will not achieve that aim.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

If your Thai service offers call forwarding, forward incoming calls from mobile phone to a Skype account. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/sky ... 94a91ccabc
magsandbilly

Post by magsandbilly »

Thanks for this helpful information. Will try and translate the AIS page and also look to see if I can divert to skype. :cheers: