VPN Recommendations and Discussion

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Re: VPN Recommendations

Post by Ginjaninja »

musungu wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:13 pm Sorry perhaps my question was not clear - what do I click to turn it on ?
What web browser are you using?
If Chrome; click on the small shield symbol on the top-right of your browser... I assume it will be similar with other browsers...
:cheers:
GN.

Edit: Big Boy beat me to it with a better explanation....
musungu
Professional
Professional

Post by musungu »

I am using Firefox or IE but neither show any symbol on the browser. I have the Icon only on what I call the icon page!
Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
musungu
Professional
Professional

Post by musungu »

Ok I have found it under "hidden icons" but do I connect before or after I connect to say Pirate Bay?
Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
robcar
Professional
Professional

Post by robcar »

Before
mariad
Amateur
Amateur

Post by mariad »

Does chrome have any such feature.
Larry Gilmore
Novice
Novice

I am a Digital Nomad Traveling To Thailand. Need VPN Suggestions

Post by Larry Gilmore »

Hi, I am Larry and I'll be visiting Thailand to attend my office meet-up as we work in remote teams around the world. I am going to be visiting my team mates from Thailand for the very first time and they all use some VPNs at all times because apparently there are some issues related to geo-restrictions and all, something I really have no clue about. So, I just need some good VPNs that work well in Thailand and won't hurt my net too much. Any suggestions would be welcome and whoever gives the best advice, I'll give a shout to them on a video message after I have made the purchase! So, cheers!
buksida

Post by buksida »

Have moved this to the VPN thread so just read through the suggestions on the previous pages.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HarleBen
Amateur
Amateur

Post by HarleBen »

I have shortlisted a few brands for my next week purchase, I have read a lot of reviews of NordVPN, StrongVPN, PureVPN and Tunnelbear. What would you guys recommend? I have used Nord and I believe I'll buy it again if nothing new appeals me more than it did.
mariad
Amateur
Amateur

Post by mariad »

I think you should give PureVPN a try. They have a 7 day money back guarantee. If you do not like it you can always have your money back.
HarleBen
Amateur
Amateur

Post by HarleBen »

mariad wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 7:14 pm I think you should give PureVPN a try. They have a 7 day money back guarantee. If you do not like it you can always have your money back.
Oh I did not know about that. I'll sure give them a try when I purchase again. I have taken Nord again, but for 3 months only. Its getting bugy!
:guns:
HarleBen
Amateur
Amateur

Post by HarleBen »

mariad wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:16 pm Does chrome have any such feature.
Which features are you talking about?
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Just use Opera browser....there is a free VPN that comes with it and it is good for surfing, fast enough even for watching news video etc.

Download > Go to settings > then go to privacy & security and you can turn it on about halfway down the page.

Works a treat, much better than these crappy sub-par add-ons for Firefox etc.

If you want anything better for streaming stuff then you need to pay but the free Opera one is good...check it out.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
buksida

Post by buksida »

This thread is a year old now, what is the latest on recommended VPNs?

Don't mind paying a little but want something reliable and not built into a browser.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

buksida wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:19 pm This thread is a year old now, what is the latest on recommended VPNs?

Don't mind paying a little but want something reliable and not built into a browser.
I have used Express VPN since November last year, it cost $99 for a years subscription. I use it to access the free to air UK TV channels and whilst I’ve never had a problem accessing ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5, I do occasionally have a problem with the BBC. I suspect they are using some form of software to detect I’m using a VPN, but the access problem never seems to last for more than a day, sometimes no more than an hour, so whilst it’s annoying, it’s not the end of the world.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

It's possibly worth checking out a few review sites such as tomsguide.com and techradar.co.uk. i used to use VPNs until a few years ago and remember that many would not allow torrenting, and said they kept logs. It seems that most now allow torrenting and many specify no logging. Many even specify they're good for watching netflix out of area.