Which Mobile Phone?

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Re: Which Mobile Phone?

Post by BaaBaa. »

oakdale160 wrote:Looked around 3rd floor atMV, could not find a MOTO G, any particular place there?
Having had a Google around it seems it's due to be launched in Asia in January.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Bristolian wrote:
oakdale160 wrote:What does----- I can always tether through the phine , mean
Probably he means tethering his laptop to his phone to provide internet access, when he is upcountry and away from a wifi connection.
Thank you, Bristolian.
Mistakes happen when you use the 'Swype' style keyboard on the mobile. The laptop isn't much better, what with the keys being the size of Chicklets.
Yes, upcountry access can be a problem, and using just the phone sometimes just doesn't cut it.

Oh, edited just to add...
Some apps are tailored for the mobile phones and do not come out the same way as they would on a laptop, so sometimes tethering through the phone and using the laptop is less stressful.
วินเชนท์
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Hi,

Does anyone out there have first-hand experience of the Nokia Lumia range.

I've been using the Nokia 603 for the last couple of years.

I need to get a new phone.
I don't need it for music or games.

I need to make calls, send/receive messages, send/receive emails and, most importantly of all, open Microsoft Word and pdf file attachments. I was thinking this might be made easier by the Windows 8 OS.

Finally, a decent camera would be handy.

I'm currently contemplating the Nokia Lumia 620.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
KCOJ

Post by KCOJ »

Hi barrys,

I upgraded from the Lumia 800 to the Lunia 925 a few weeks ago which took me from the Windows 7 OS to Windows 8 and no regrets to date.

Certainly handles Word docs and pdf’s no problem at all. Only downer so far is that I can no longer use Tango for video calls so back to Skype. One big plus is the dual camera which was missing in earlier models. Also a much wider range of apps available with W8 OS including Viber for free voice calls.

If you haven’t been there yet, then you’ll find the staff at the Nokia shop in Market Village pretty helpful in showing you the newer models
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Well, one reply at least!

Thanks a lot for that KCOJ - I'll take a trip to the Nokia Shop at MV in the next few days and take a look.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Nokia are moving to Android.

Just saying........
KCOJ

Post by KCOJ »

:lach: I don't think so ... Nokia just sold its devices division (ie. phones) to Microsoft
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

KCOJ wrote::lach: I don't think so ... Nokia just sold its devices division (ie. phones) to Microsoft
http://bit.ly/1arAiY7
KCOJ

Post by KCOJ »

OK yes I see that, but I really don't think that MS would pay around $7bill for Nokia's phone business and then abandon the Windows OS ... maybe Android is just an option for any low-end models they are planning to release
Crafack
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Crafack »

KCOJ wrote:maybe Android is just an option for any low-end models they are planning to release
Quite right.

Some speculate that an android version will replace Nokia's own S40 platform in an upgrade of their low-end Asha phone.

Link here

/Crafack
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Can Windows mobile not run on low end phones then?

Bit of a resource hog is it?

Never seen the attraction in recent Nokias personally, they're more a Camera with a phone add on.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

BaaBaa. wrote:Can Windows mobile not run on low end phones then?
It can. But when this phone was being designed they would have had to pay a licence to M$ to use the OS; which would have pushed the price up.
Bit of a resource hog is it?
No

The device Nokia is launching is a dual-SIM device, and won't be released in western markets. It was being planned before the Microsoft acquisition. It makes sense to use Android for a dual-SIM device because there are already libraries out there for it and it's proven to be able to handle them quite nicely. It's designed to look like a Win7/8 device so it's clearly designed as a platform to introduce clients to their higher end Windows devices. This is in no way "Nokia [a Microsoft owned company] moving to Android"
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Always thought Win8 was a bit clunky, even on the laptop, so certainly would eat into a phone's meager resources (esp RAM). Another thing also comes to mind (as an old Nokia user). You will only be able to get apps through the Nokia store, and this may be limited only to certain (Nokia) platforms, unlike Android, which is still evolving.
When my old Android died over Christmas, it wasn't difficult to make a choice of platform for the phone...
Came with dual SIM capability, nice because I'm now in Singapore typing this out and I don't have to worry about misplacing or losing the other SIM; it just switches over. You can use it with the other in the background or use them seperately.
วินเชนท์
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

VincentD wrote:Always thought Win8 was a bit clunky, even on the laptop, so certainly would eat into a phone's meager resources (esp RAM).
It's not the same OS
Gus
Guru
Guru

Post by Gus »

The Motorola Moto G 8Gb is for sale for £99 (about 5250thb) at Tesco in the UK, I don't know if Tesco Lotus sell mobiles.
I am thinking of buying one of these but as I am coming to Thailand in a few days and I will not need a smartphone I will wait until I return to the UK.
The Moto G does need a micro sim but apparently there is a small clipper that can turn your ordinary sim into a micro, but knowing Thailand that task can be done easily anyway.