Which Mobile Phone?

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Big Boy

Re: Which Mobile Phone?

Post by Big Boy »

Technically, yes but not used. As I said, a long story.

8,000 Baht would be about right, but maybe a little cheaper in BS. Powerbuy would be robbing you.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
poosmate
Ace
Ace

Post by poosmate »

I have the Grand cost 10500 Baht this was the price everywhere last month. The phone is fine only thing I have noticed is the signal can be off when I am in the sticks but my mates ( Blackberry) still is in service.
There are copies of this phone - look exactly the same including box etc. but tend to eat batteries ( rarely last the day if online) and are slower. The copies are around 2500 Baht. I bought one of these ( in Bangkok) and decided that I liked the phone so went for a genuine model.The battery will last all day unless constantly on line or playing games. the phone also came with a handy power pack that can extend life if cannot charge.Oh and I must add after looking and trying to find cheaper I bought from Powerbuy confident that I was buying the genuine article from Central group -unlikely to be ripping you off!
no more dePreston
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

poosmate wrote:I have the Grand cost 10500 Baht this was the price everywhere last month.
Everywhere? I saw them in several places in Hua Hin - all marked in the 8,500 Baht range. I suppose they must all have been copies then.

Points 48; Position 20
poosmate
Ace
Ace

Post by poosmate »

Look again! I think you may be getting confused with another model :wink: Or yes it will not be genuine. I looked at all the stores at the top of MV and all were the same price 10500. The phone is still advertised today by dtac and ais and Powerbuy and even by Samsung here at 10500 Baht.The potential profit margin would not allow IMO a discount of 2500 Baht.
no more dePreston
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I will, but how do I tell the difference between fake and the real thing? The phones I saw were all identical to my wife's phone, which is why I stopped and discussed the price with my son who also saw the prices. AFAIK my wife's is genuine i.e. all of the parerwork was 'Samsung' and the battery is Samsung with the hologram etc.

Points 48; Position 20
musungu
Professional
Professional

Post by musungu »

I had occasion to change my mobile last week, and decided to go the Galaxy route. I looked at the Grand and can only confirm that all the prices I saw were at 10,500BHT and including various printouts from such as Jaymart - I would suggest extreme caution at 8,000BHT, because my wife knows one of the MV shops very well and they were not prepared to lower the price.
Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
poosmate
Ace
Ace

Post by poosmate »

Hologram :shock: Both my genuine and copy do not have this - they both have a QR code. The only physical difference is the battery - it is slightly wider and a different number - copy eb-f1AGBU genuine EB535163LU. I was going to buy a battery for the copy and continue using it but none would fit. The other difference I noticed is the handset gets hotter than a genuine and the clarity when listening to phone calls was less and it is considerably slower.
no more dePreston
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

poosmate wrote:Hologram :shock: Both my genuine and copy do not have this - they both have a QR code. The only physical difference is the battery - it is slightly wider and a different number - copy eb-f1AGBU genuine EB535163LU. I was going to buy a battery for the copy and continue using it but none would fit. The other difference I noticed is the handset gets hotter than a genuine and the clarity when listening to phone calls was less and it is considerably slower.
Much to Mrs BB's disgust, I've just dismantled her phone :D . You're right, no hologram :oops: Maybe it was a dream.

The battery number is as per your 'genuine' number (or at least the bits I can make out). I will look at the prices again next time I'm in the area, but I definitely know what I saw, and thankfully my son remembers it as well, so I'm not having another 'hologram moment' :wink:

Now the real bummer - I put the phone back into the case upside down. I'm being sent to the bad boy's step :shock:

Points 48; Position 20
poosmate
Ace
Ace

Post by poosmate »

Comparing the 2 and trying to find differences. The copy does not try to update software it states already up to date instantly although the genuine model updated only last week - the copy has an older os. A newer copy would of course have the latest display/stystem but will become outdated unless can update from Samsung?
Some features of the genuine phone are not on the copy - Driving mode and in security setting it does not have 'find my phone' feature, connect and share nearby devices or Kies to connect to PC. The copy I have says it is made in Korea and the genuine in Vietnam.
Last edited by poosmate on Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
no more dePreston
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

poosmate wrote:There are copies of this phone - look exactly the same including box etc.
Fake phone manufactures have yet to create authentic IMEI numbers. Get the number from the phone, verify it online (GIYF).
poosmate
Ace
Ace

Post by poosmate »

Thanks Homer :thumb:
http://imei-number.com/imei-validation-check/ This confirmed the copy phone IMIE was not valid.
no more dePreston
Toonmad
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Toonmad »

I have the Galaxy Grand Duos and apart from the small problem of getting it out of your pocket quickly it's absolutely brilliant in every other aspect.
I was a dyed in the wool push button man but my wife persuaded me to try her S4 mini for a few days and I was soon hooked. The mini had too small a screen for my ancient eyes so I decided to go for the larger screened Duos. Yes it needs to be charged every night but that is no big deal. It is without doubt the best phone I have ever owned.
zeitgeist
Professional
Professional

Post by zeitgeist »

I'm going to post this here but may be the wrong place but don't want to start a new thread...

I'm looking for a new phone which i can receive Outlook emails and notifications on. Is this easily done? If I receive an email onto my mobile is it a copy from Outlook or the 'actual' email and it then won't appear in my desktop computers Outlook inbox? To explain further, if I use my laptop to download emails they are in the Outlook inbox on my laptop and do not appear when I then go to use my desktop.
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Bought a 520 Nokia Lumina - 5500k and it does everything that most people could want - also it windows so great for outlook. Only thing i had to download was a stopwatch app, top gear news and bbc sport!
Bought expensive ones before and they are a waste of money I think.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

All smartphones will allow you to receive mails from your company server, subject to their restrictions and collect email from services such as yahoo or Gmail. Outlook has very little to do with the process except that it does the same on a PC or laptop.

When you use a smartphone you see the same mail as you would see in your Outlook inbox or any sub folder of your inbox.

If you delete a mail on your smartphone it will also be deleted in your Outlook. If you read a mail on either device it will show as read in the other.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain