Which Mobile Phone?

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
buksida

Re: Which Mobile Phone?

Post by buksida »

Whilst on the subject of phones ...

Three years is my benchmark for keeping a phone but they sometimes clap out before then (the Samsungs I have had did anyway). Have currently had the Xiaomi POCO X3 NFC for just over three years. It is still going strong, the camera is superb, and the battery (usually the first thing to go) still lasts more than a day. I will go as far as to say that it is the best phone I have had for the price (6,400 THB in 2021 purchased online), so will be looking for something similar to replace it in a few months' time (though I may stretch it to four years). I'd rather replace a phone before it dies because transferring apps and data with two live phones is much easier, and I can donate the old one to a family member.

The current equivalents to what I have are the POCO M6 Pro and Redmi Note 13, both have more RAM and storage, and both are similarly spec'd and priced at about 7,000 baht.

Here are them all lined up: https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?i ... 0415#diff-

One thing I wanted, which I notice is being phased out, is a dual SIM slot plus a separate for the MicroSD card. Very few phones have this now, presumably because they want to sell models with larger internal storage, so I guess I'll have to go that route with 256MB, though I'd like the expansion option (I store a lot of music).

Does anyone have either of the models above or any Xiaomi phone users with other recommendations for a similar budget?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

I'm still using a note 8 pro and my wife is still on a note 5. So they do keep going. Just the updates stop. I'm reluctant to change while the phones keep working well, even the batteries still last almost as long as when new.

I think the newer phones to look at would be the poco x6 pro and the Redmi note 13 5g. The Redmi not so much for the 5g but for the upspecced 200 Mpx camera (a Samsung sensor I think)
buksida

Post by buksida »

Yep, maybe the fast chargers are better for the batteries. I've also got into the habit of not letting it drop below 20% and charging to 90%, which may have also prolonged its life. Either way, the Xiaomi batteries are pretty solid.

Looked at the X6 Pro, but its more than I want to spend on a phone at over five figures and almost double that of the M6 Pro ... and it doesn't have a microSD slot.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Post by buksida »

Been digging deeper and it seems harder to get hold of models that are a year or two old here, such as the Poco F5 or X5 (unless you want to take the chance with third-party shops on Laz).

The X6 doesn't have enough extra to warrant the 35% price difference, and the Note 13 has slower charging and less storage so the Poco M6 Pro is coming out on top. Will have a look in MV this week, but not holding my breath!
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

buksida wrote:Been digging deeper and it seems harder to get hold of models that are a year or two old here, such as the Poco F5 or X5 (unless you want to take the chance with third-party shops on Laz).

The X6 doesn't have enough extra to warrant the 35% price difference, and the Note 13 has slower charging and less storage so the Poco M6 Pro is coming out on top. Will have a look in MV this week, but not holding my breath!
The m6 pro is available in the Xiaomi Thailand store on both shopee and Lazada. So maybe check it out at banana in mv then order online?

So is the new note 13 5g.

The shopee store is having a flash sale today so might save a couple of hundred baht over Lazada.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Got the regular "mai mee" in MV when asking about POCO phones. Even though it is the same company, the Xiaomi shop doesn't sell them so ordered online through the official store on Laz.

Impressive that you can get 8GB of memory and 256GB of storage on a mid-range phone as standard these days!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

buksida wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:08 pm Impressive that you can get 8GB of memory and 256GB of storage on a mid-range phone as standard these days!
Yes, I've got over 6000 pictures on mine and it's still only half full.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I also saw the upgraded version with 12 GB Ram and 512 GB storage for not much more than B10,000 - how things have progressed over the years!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

X6 doesn't have a headphone jack

Wouldn't bother many but would me, I'd get the X5 on Laz personally

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

thecolonel wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:44 pm X6 doesn't have a headphone jack

My latest Samsung doesn't have a headphone jack but usb-c adaptors are very cheap.
I think this one was 10 euros.
Attachments
PSX_20240408_130453.jpg
PSX_20240408_130453.jpg (116.22 KiB) Viewed 769 times
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

STEVE G wrote:
thecolonel wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:44 pm X6 doesn't have a headphone jack

My latest Samsung doesn't have a headphone jack but usb-c adaptors are very cheap.
I think this one was 10 euros.
Good point

But personally for the difference in price and very little in specs I'd buy the cheaper 'older' model and plug in directly

Appreciate others simply have to have the latest model

STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Appreciate others simply have to have the latest model
It's only my latest phone, not Samsungs!
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Has to be said, my phone is far from the latest model and then hardly top of the range when new - I'm guessing 4-5 years old now, but a "Headphone Jack"? :D
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

pharvey wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:22 am Has to be said, my phone is far from the latest model and then hardly top of the range when new - I'm guessing 4-5 years old now, but a "Headphone Jack"? :D
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

STEVE G wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:03 am
pharvey wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:22 am Has to be said, my phone is far from the latest model and then hardly top of the range when new - I'm guessing 4-5 years old now, but a "Headphone Jack"? :D
Sadly, I used to think I was "in the know" with technology too..... :oops:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.