The scourge of Facebook

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: The scourge of Facebook

Post by handdrummer »

off facebook since mar. this year. don't miss it all. don't need to see photos of people I don't know eating food that I don't like and ranting about whatever their favorite fad of the moment is.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Big Boy wrote:.......I primarily use Facebook to keep in touch with friends and family all over the world, and it's brilliant for that. I couldn't imagine being so settled here without it. And for me, it's totally free. Everything else is a by-product.
I agree with that. I also don't understand why some people are getting feeds that they don't want. I have my tuned to exactly the sites I want to see whether they be sports, news services, locations (countries/cities), businesses, people etc. I can go top to bottom several times a day on "News Feed" and "Page feed" and see nothing except those sites I've previously selected. From time to time a new site will pop up with an option to "Like" it and subsequently follow it, but if ignored it doesn't show up again. I would say I get only one of these solicitations per week, not a bother. Each entry also has a downward pointing arrow in the top right corner where you can select to delete a post, and not see posts from that source again. It works. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

prcscct wrote:
Big Boy wrote:.......I primarily use Facebook to keep in touch with friends and family all over the world, and it's brilliant for that. I couldn't imagine being so settled here without it. And for me, it's totally free. Everything else is a by-product.
I agree with that. I also don't understand why some people are getting feeds that they don't want. I have my tuned to exactly the sites I want to see whether they be sports, news services, locations (countries/cities), businesses, people etc. I can go top to bottom several times a day on "News Feed" and "Page feed" and see nothing except those sites I've previously selected. From time to time a new site will pop up with an option to "Like" it and subsequently follow it, but if ignored it doesn't show up again. I would say I get only one of these solicitations per week, not a bother. Each entry also has a downward pointing arrow in the top right corner where you can select to delete a post, and not see posts from that source again. It works. Pete :cheers:
Like you two I do it for friends and family. Even so I get a lot of junk from them. But, like spam e-mail, I zip through it
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Fake bomb news fools thousands
"News" of a bomb explosion in Bangkok spread like wildfire on Facebook and Line Tuesday evening, but the story was false.

Users by the thousands clicked on the fake Facebook page, "The Explosion in Bangkok, Thailand" that they were safe, after the site reported there was an explosion somewhere in the city.

It provided no details of the alleged blast, but hookwinked a large number of social media users into messaging friends and family they had survived, unhurt.

Like Bangkok Informer, Facebook also was working to memory-hole its fake news response. (Screen shot below)

The news spread worldwide. The Bangkok Post received worried inquiries from as close as Malaysia and as far away as the US state of Colorado, where relatives of Thais frantically searched for news of the "Bangkok bomb".

Clueless "news" sites around the world were instantly taken in and re-reported the fake news, without checking - but as if it were confirmed.

Technology website TheVerge.com blamed Facebook.

"Facebook got fooled by its own algorithm," it reported. "The social network falsely activated its Safety Check feature after a flood of fake news suggested that there was an explosion in Bangkok, Thailand.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... -thousands
http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/27/1408 ... k-thailand
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Quite a strange coincidence, because the guy I follow for local Hua Hin news, and he's very reliable, posted that there was an exercise going involving a fake bomb at 19 Rai yesterday evening, and local people should not panic if they saw it.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

It seems that it originally stemmed from a genuine story about a protester throwing ping pong ball bombs at Government house yesterday morning that then got linked to a recent article about the 2015 Bangkok bombing.
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/br ... s/30302929
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Facebook: Bombing alert confirmed by Thai media

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... thai-media

Facebook Thailand has defended the trigger of a false bombing alarm in Bangkok on its network late on Tuesday, saying the incident did happen and referring to a Government House bomb threat incident reported by local media early in the morning.

Its Safety Check feature, intended for any user to report a crisis, such as an earthquake, in his area and inform his circles that he is safe, was activated for Bangkok late on Tuesday and spread quickly throughout Thailand-based Facebook communities. It turned out to be a hoax and caused a misunderstanding and brief panic.

Facebook said in a statement on Wednesday that a "third-party entity" enabled its Safety Check feature in the area, an explanation consistent with the intended purpose of the feature.

However, the social media network cited four local English-language news reports published on Tuesday morning, including that of the Bangkok Post, to support its claim that the incident "has now been confirmed by local press".

The reports were about a man who climbed on a roof near the Government House and tossed some giant firecrackers to make his point about his land ownership problem. None of the media it cited reported an “explosion”.

The social media giant continued to explain the functions of its Safety Checks feature, saying when the feature was first launched, Facebook was the one who activated it in crisis-hit locations. It later let communities take over for improved promptness and responsiveness.

“In November, Facebook announced that Safety Check would be activated by the community instead of Facebook so that more people could use the tool whenever they felt they needed it.” .......................................>>>>>>>>
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Ripe for abuse. Facebook should get the hell out of things they have no business in. Allowing this to be user activated and then allow it to propagate is irresponsible unless an event has been fully confirmed. Watch, it will turn into a "cry wolf" application unless controlled properly. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

What's with Thais and Facebook? Maybe other nationalities are the same but I do not notice it with them so much.
Each of my Thai family must post 10 or more facial photos of themselves each day, looking up, looking down, looking happy, looking sad, tilt this way, tilt that way. Then they get hundreds of "likes" or silly stickers of animals etc. Little if anything worthwhile is ever said by them, is it just a craving for attention or a lack of self esteem. In the past I have had a crowd of them in my house and everything is silent, they are all posting pics of themselves sitting in my living room. I just don't understand.

Maybe I am just getting too old for FB.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

^
I'm just glad I have a 'beauty-app'...
:naughty:
GN.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

StevePiraq----- another unfathonable thing. I couple I know eat out most evenings, the wife photosa nd posts a picture of her meal every time, not even telling what it is.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

food is central to Thai life and everything takes place around it. every meal is photographed and launched into the digital abyss to be admired and "liked" by all and sundry. that's how they know they're still alive.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

steve--you talk of nothing of importance being said on the FB postings. Farang with Thai wives and families say that they never talk about anything outside their own lives and experiences. What do they think about the military or about those of whom we may not speak--generally they think NOTHING. they have no opinion about the sun rising in the east and setting in the west--it needs no discussion, neither does politics and corruption
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

oakdale160 wrote:steve--you talk of nothing of importance being said on the FB postings. Farang with Thai wives and families say that they never talk about anything outside their own lives and experiences. What do they think about the military or about those of whom we may not speak--generally they think NOTHING. they have no opinion about the sun rising in the east and setting in the west--it needs no discussion, neither does politics and corruption
WTF?
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

oakdale160 wrote:steve--you talk of nothing of importance being said on the FB postings. Farang with Thai wives and families say that they never talk about anything outside their own lives and experiences. What do they think about the military or about those of whom we may not speak--generally they think NOTHING. they have no opinion about the sun rising in the east and setting in the west--it needs no discussion, neither does politics and corruption
So true,perhaps this explains their reluctance to fight a half decent war now and again. No one expects them to be in a near perpetual state of war like the US and the U.K.but they could make the effort once in a while surely.