Buying a new laptop

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Post Reply
User avatar
Pagey
Ace
Ace
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:14 pm
Location: On the beach

Re: Buying a new laptop

Post by Pagey » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:46 pm

Thanks for the info guys but bought it before reading the last 2 posts. I googled the model of the one in the link above was was reduced from 19,500 to 18,900 I think and came up with the same machine, also at Lazada, at17,300. I went to Powerbuy where they had both of the above I linked to but not in stock and you had to order but it was 19,500, no discount.
So I ordered it from Lazada at 17,300 with Win 10 Home. I've ordered it COD so I will check it starts before I pay the delivery guy.

Thanks.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.

User avatar
Pagey
Ace
Ace
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:14 pm
Location: On the beach

Re: Buying a new laptop

Post by Pagey » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:32 pm

New laptop arrived today, not bad service, 2 working days from order to delivery and came with free Targus backpack. Now just got to work out how to use it and transfer some files over and download programmes I need.

On my old one I had Avast, Spybot and Malware Bytes, all free downloads. Are they the current recommended choices for protection ?
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.

robcar
Professional
Professional
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:28 am

Re: Buying a new laptop

Post by robcar » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:04 pm

Spybot and Malware Bytes are a must have in my opinion. I'm assuming you have Windows 10 as OS. If that is the case then it comes with Windows Defender already installed.

When I upgraded from 7 to 10 I was running with Avast. W10 didn't like it and kept throwing up a 'Critical Error' screen until I googled for the reason and the majority of reply's/suggestions blamed Avast. Uninstalled it and it's been OK ever since.

User avatar
Pagey
Ace
Ace
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:14 pm
Location: On the beach

Re: Buying a new laptop

Post by Pagey » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:19 pm

OK Rob, thanks. Yes it has windows 10 home edition and defender but it says this app is turned off. I will see how to turn it on.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.

User avatar
hhfarang
Hero
Hero
Posts: 10858
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:27 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: Buying a new laptop

Post by hhfarang » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:59 pm

Avira scored the highest in recent tests for a free anti virus offering. Malwarebytes actually hijacked my browser (Firefox) and forced me to start using Chrome as I could not stop Malwarebytes from taking over my home page...

I have found, over years of using both, that Advanced System Care is better than Spybot for adware and it has many other clean up facilities that replace other programs, i.e., registry defrag, junk files clean, disk defrag, etc., all free.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?

PET
Ace
Ace
Posts: 1438
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: Hua Hin

Re: Buying a new laptop

Post by PET » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:53 pm

hhfarang wrote:Avira scored the highest in recent tests for a free anti virus offering. Malwarebytes actually hijacked my browser (Firefox) and forced me to start using Chrome as I could not stop Malwarebytes from taking over my home page...

I have found, over years of using both, that Advanced System Care is better than Spybot for adware and it has many other clean up facilities that replace other programs, i.e., registry defrag, junk files clean, disk defrag, etc., all free.
I downloaded ASC and also came up with Driver Booster and Iobit Uninstaller - so I uninstalled it all as I did not know and my Revo -Uninstaller came up with loads of stuff to delete ? So I do not know any advice please
VERAX - What matters in life is not where you are from but where you are going.

PET
Ace
Ace
Posts: 1438
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: Hua Hin

Re: Buying a new laptop

Post by PET » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:26 pm

As a follow up on my above post I also downloaded Avira. For some reason it made me uncomfortable and I decided to uninstall. That was decidedly difficult with them trying to block me at various stages. I eventually did it but the uninstall took a long time and when I did a deep scan for files left over there were 657 in the registry alone. I do not know if this is normal but I shall stay with Avast and Malwarebytes, thanks.
VERAX - What matters in life is not where you are from but where you are going.

User avatar
hhfarang
Hero
Hero
Posts: 10858
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:27 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: Buying a new laptop

Post by hhfarang » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:35 pm

PET wrote:
hhfarang wrote:Avira scored the highest in recent tests for a free anti virus offering. Malwarebytes actually hijacked my browser (Firefox) and forced me to start using Chrome as I could not stop Malwarebytes from taking over my home page...

I have found, over years of using both, that Advanced System Care is better than Spybot for adware and it has many other clean up facilities that replace other programs, i.e., registry defrag, junk files clean, disk defrag, etc., all free.
I downloaded ASC and also came up with Driver Booster and Iobit Uninstaller - so I uninstalled it all as I did not know and my Revo -Uninstaller came up with loads of stuff to delete ? So I do not know any advice please
When installing any free software never accept the defaults. Always do a "custom" install and uncheck any boxes that indicate other software will be installed. Otherwise you'll get a lot of "crapware" and toolbars along with the program you're trying to install. BTW, I actually like the IOBit uninstaller as well as REVO. As to the above, delete what REVO tells you to, but only delete the bold items from the leftover registry items. You can check and remove all the leftover files from the next step.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?

User avatar
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
Posts: 5653
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 9:14 am
Location: Hua Hin Forum

Re: Buying a new laptop

Post by Lev » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:02 am

:offtopic: We have several existing topics software and computer security, please keep this one to buying new hardware, thanks.

nero
Novice
Novice
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:06 am

Re: Buying a new laptop

Post by nero » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:39 pm

The same here. Wanted a decent laptop as I have taken a keen interest in games.

nero
Novice
Novice
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:06 am

Re: Buying a new laptop

Post by nero » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:35 am

I've been looking at the Lenovo Y50, heard good reviews on it

Jools
Member
Member
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:55 pm
Location: Chon Pra Than, Hua Hin

Re: Buying a new laptop

Post by Jools » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:19 am

Nero, If you are looking for a gaming laptop it might be worth considering a Gigabyte laptop. They come with a gaming graphics card and top spec. Also easy to upgrade and a 2 year warranty.
I bought mine in October 2014 and have had no problems at all so far. Upgraded the ram and put in a mSata 1TB SSD drive. Runs like a dream with very fast boot time into windows.
Play Up Pompey

Bluesky
Guru
Guru
Posts: 581
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:56 pm
Location: Hua Hin, Outback Queensland

Re: Buying a new laptop

Post by Bluesky » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:13 pm

We will be in the market shortly to purchase another laptop. From a user perspective we will need something similar to what light gamers use with good processing speeds and rapid graphics updates. Reliability is a key issue. Have been using Apple products to date. Currently considering Apple MacBook Pro 15 with turbo boost. Would appreciate comments/thoughts/ideas as well as best place to purchase either HH or BKK.

User avatar
hhfarang
Hero
Hero
Posts: 10858
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:27 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: Buying a new laptop

Post by hhfarang » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:25 pm

The world's best laptop will now ship with the world's best OS...

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/dell-xps-13- ... 25101.html
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?

Jack Sprat
Member
Member
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: Buying a new laptop

Post by Jack Sprat » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:40 am

Bluesky wrote:We will be in the market shortly to purchase another laptop. From a user perspective we will need something similar to what light gamers use with good processing speeds and rapid graphics updates. Reliability is a key issue. Have been using Apple products to date. Currently considering Apple MacBook Pro 15 with turbo boost. Would appreciate comments/thoughts/ideas as well as best place to purchase either HH or BKK.
Seemingly, your budget will be in the realms of.....
https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us ... rface-book
I am using one to post this reply.
I've had it since November (bought in the US) and I have to say, it's the best computer I've ever used by a long long way.
Blisteringly fast, beautifully constructed, looks fantastic, (makes the Mac books look positively old and outdated when next to each other).
Great for gaming and graphics intensive apps (as it has a dedicated GPU)
The screen detaches, and it becomes a stunning tablet running a full operating system......Win10 (not a phone style operating system).
Comes with a stylus for drawing/artistic work, should you like?
I would highly recommend this bleeding edge machine if your budget allows.

The only trouble is, I don't know if they're available here yet....worth checking out!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests