The i-things - Apple devices and software thread

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Re: The i-things - Apple devices and software thread

Post by Gregjam »

Try installing a free app like Strava that will really enable tou to be obsessional about your exercise. In the settings somewhere I think that there is an option to keep the screen lit while in use but it will drain the battery faster.
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Re: iPhone--keeping the stopwatch running

Post by Bluesky »

oakdale160 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:54 pm Im obsessional I know. When I am out doing a run/walk, I like to time myself. I start the stopwatch om my iPhone5 but aftera few minutes it closes down . I enter thePword and it opens up, the stopwatch is running OK, but to have to do this when running is difficult. Is there a way to stop it closing down
You can prevent the lphone from closing down by going through the following sequence :-
1. Check your iPhone 5 is up to date using IOS 7.1.2
2. With phone unlocked go to 'settings'.
3. Scroll down to the top of the 3rd panel and click on 'General' to open.
4. Scroll down to the 4th panel and click on 'Auto lock' and open.
5. Go to the last option which should be 'Never' and click on it.
6. Press the 'home' button on the bottom of the phone and open 'clock'
7.Select 'Stop watch' and activate. Screen should now remain open until you manually close it.

WARNING leaving the screen open indefinitely will drain the power quite quickly if you have any other apps running. Likewise internet apps which may consume data. You may find the phone getting warm whilst continually operating in this mode. If you do wish to do this suggest closing wi fi, Internet and apps. Restore settings to 1 or 2 minute lock and re open any apps you have closed off when you have finished your jog.
Hope this is of assistance
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

Bluesky wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:23 pm
oakdale160 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:54 pm Im obsessional I know. When I am out doing a run/walk, I like to time myself. I start the stopwatch om my iPhone5 but aftera few minutes it closes down . I enter thePword and it opens up, the stopwatch is running OK, but to have to do this when running is difficult. Is there a way to stop it closing down

WARNING leaving the screen open indefinitely will drain the power quite quickly if you have any other apps running. Likewise internet apps which may consume data. You may find the phone getting warm whilst continually operating in this mode. If you do wish to do this suggest closing wi fi, Internet and apps. Restore settings to 1 or 2 minute lock and re open any apps you have closed off when you have finished your jog.
Presumably, while fairly unlikely, if the phone was misplaced or stolen while in this "screen open" state, it would also not be secure? What with draining the battery significantly too, I'd rather buy a 250 Baht digital watch instead.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

that sounds like good advice JJB thank you, I may go crazy and go up to 300b
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

J.J.B. wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:22 pm
Bluesky wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:23 pm

Presumably, while fairly unlikely, if the phone was misplaced or stolen while in this "screen open" state, it would also not be secure? What with draining the battery significantly too, I'd rather buy a 250 Baht digital watch instead.
Yes your presumption is is correct with respect to security integrity along with other issues including the inability of the Apple app, 'Find my phone' should the device become fully powered down. Whilst it's technically achievable as per the question I agree there are better ways to achieve the outcome.
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Nothing is easy. Ilooked fora cheap watch last night could not find one--where do you buy them
Geko
Professional
Professional

Post by Geko »

Oakdale160 try ordering from Lazada they have many watches with stopwatch facility, not sure about the some of the makes but if you bust your budget you could go for one of the Casio's.
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

Geko wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:38 am Oakdale160 try ordering from Lazada they have many watches with stopwatch facility, not sure about the some of the makes but if you bust your budget you could go for one of the Casio's.
The Casio F-91W Is quite a popular watch for its timer. Unfortunately it's the reputed choice of Al. Qaeda.
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

Something to think about if your using older Apple devices with 32 bit technology. Particularly if your considering updating to iOS11. Likewise if your currently considering the purchase of an older Apple device because it appears cheap.

With iOS 11, Apple Leaves 32-bit Apps Behind for Good
By Joel Hruska on June 6, 2017 at 10:45 am
Extreme Tech
One of the advantages of Microsoft Windows is its generally excellent approach to backwards compatibility. Thanks to a mixture of virtual machine support and native OS capabilities, you can generally run x86 apps from any era in a modern system. There are exceptions to this, but backwards compatibility works very well, more often than not.

Apple, in contrast, has been aggressive about its move to 64-bit compared with 32-bit, and it’s preparing to leave 32-bit software behind altogether with its upcoming iOS 11. Google has made some moves to shift to 64-bit only as well, though its overall level of deployment lags Apple in this regard, partly because of how long it takes Google devices to receive the latest version of Android in the first place.

Thus, iOS 11 will be the first Apple OS to drop support for the 2012-era iPhone 5, the 4th-generation iPad, and the 2013 iPhone 5c, which uses the same hardware as the iPhone 5. While the iPhone 5 and 5c are slow by modern standards, the issue isn’t RAM or raw performance, it’s the ability (or lack thereof) to run 64-bit apps and programs.

But that’s not the only change coming in iOS 11. In the new operating system, it’ll be 64-bit-or-nothing — Apple is also removing 32-bit app compatibility from the entire OS stack. In the long run, Apple may even remove the ability to run 32-bit software from its processors, freeing up the silicon otherwise devoted to this capability for handling other tasks.

iOS 11 will run on the iPhone 5s and all follow-up smartphones, including the SE. It also supports the iPad Air and Air 2, the iPad Mini 2, 3, and 4, and the iPad Pro. Fifth-generation iPads are also supported, as is the sixth-generation iPod Touch.

This shift will have significant implications for users who still rely on older apps that aren’t updated often or, in some cases, may not have been updated in years. It’s not clear yet whether developers of older programs that may have made the bulk of their money already will update them for 64-bit. Right now, the implication seems to be that applications developed for 32-bit simply will not work on iOS 11 without a 64-bit update. That could frustrate users if Apple doesn’t inform them that upgrading from iOS 10 to iOS 11 could result in a reduction in overall device functionality.

We don’t know yet how much of a problem this will be. But if you have an older iPhone with apps you still use regularly that aren’t updated often, you may want to check that situation carefully before upgrading to iOS 11.

https://www.extremetech.com/mobile/2504 ... ehind-good
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Bluesky wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:10 pm Something to think about if your using older Apple devices with 32 bit technology. Particularly if your considering updating to iOS11. Likewise if your currently considering the purchase of an older Apple device because it appears cheap.
Upgrade and pay for new versions or don't upgrade to discover, often frantically, things don't work.

Isn't this the story of Apple upgrades since the era of the i[insert product name here] began?
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

Homer wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:43 pm
Bluesky wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:10 pm Something to think about if your using older Apple devices with 32 bit technology. Particularly if your considering updating to iOS11. Likewise if your currently considering the purchase of an older Apple device because it appears cheap.
Upgrade and pay for new versions or don't upgrade to discover, often frantically, things don't work.

Isn't this the story of Apple upgrades since the era of the i[insert product name here] began?
I believe it is, not only for software/firmware but hardware too. First the floppy drive went, then the CD/DD drive, then the USB port, then the headphone jack. I think they like to call it "innovation".
Wilde
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Apple stopped charging for ops system upgrades about 5 year ago.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

They make a fortune selling new versions of peripherals. They don't have to charge for OS upgrades. I wonder how many of the apple faithful, when shelling out for a new charger, cable, dongle, monitor, drive, etc., think about the approximately $250 Billion ( 250,000,000,000) apple has in cash because they've paid through the nose every time apple moves the goalpost slightly?
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

Homer wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:18 pm They make a fortune selling new versions of peripherals. They don't have to charge for OS upgrades. I wonder how many of the apple faithful, when shelling out for a new charger, cable, dongle, monitor, drive, etc., think about the approximately $250 Billion ( 250,000,000,000) apple has in cash because they've paid through the nose every time apple moves the goalpost slightly?
There is no doubt the products of Apple command a premium. Their cash pile is largely the impact of US tax legislation, however, acting as a disincentive to bring foreign income home. It's similar with other US companies that enjoy successful overseas trade; Pfizer, for example.
Wilde
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

That their pile is in cash is a result of US tax law. The size of that pile is a result of their eye-popping profit margins relative to other companies selling consumer tech.