The i-things - Apple devices and software thread

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Felipesed1
Professional
Professional

The I-things (Apple devices) thread

Post by Felipesed1 »

After you have set up the new Id for your son, he will have to delete the existing games etc downloaded on your wife's' login, and re-download using his new one.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: The I-things (Apple devices) thread

Post by Khundon1975 »

Felipesed1 Thanks, already done that. :thumb:

Still not managed to get her alarm clock back!
When I click on clock, we don't get the week/calendar any more. Just the message "No alarms".
I click on the + top right on that page and can set an alarm time, but when I close the page then re-open it, I get the same message of "No Alarm" and the alarm I had "set" previously has gone and so does not go off at the time I had set. :?
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Well, despite trying everything, including visiting an Apple shop whilst in London, who did not manage to cure the alarm clock problem, but were more interested in selling my wife another iPhone 6+ for my 5 year old son!
But we did upgrade memory to 64Gb.

I decided to go to icloud, to retrieve a backup copy of her iPhone, which I knew would be there. But, because she had exceeded her 5 GB free storage, for some reason, I could not retrieve the back up copy. :?

So onto iTunes, via my Laptop, where I used their system to retrieve a copy of her phone, which I had stored on my Windows Laptop.
Before I set the backup retrieval running, I copied all her Pics and Vid's from iPhone, to my Laptop (just in case).

Worked a treat, took about 30 minutes and she had back all her folders, (her pic's and Videos alone, were over 12gb :? ) contacts and apps and best of all, her alarm clock. :thumb:

Quite why the, so called "experts" at Apple shop could not fix the issue, is beyond me. :cuss:
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

If you are thinking of getting your iPhone repaired by a non authorized repair company, think again, as your phone may end up as unusable!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35502030
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Surely this cannot be legal in any country, it is a restriction on trade. Just wait for Apple to put the same software on you Mac etc. Could you imagine Ford doing the same with their car.

Simple answer don't buy Apple
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

I think there's more to this than what is covered in the very short BBC story. It is not legal in Europe to run a cartel on repairs for your products, this was fought and lost by the auto makers over a decade ago, leading to the current situation. Also, there are many authorised apple repair centres that are not apple stores and the like.

For me this comes down to the Touch ID system and when a phone is considered "tampered with". On my iPhone 6, I use the Touch ID to open many highly sensitive apps such as my online banking app, my cloud storage app and also my password vault app that's pretty much got my digital life in it going back years. It also governs apple pay, iTunes and app store purchases not to mention standard information like all my email, contacts and calendar, which could be of use to some.

If my phone was lost or stolen and whoever found it decided to take it to a back street shop to have it worked on then I guess they would have to replace the Touch ID if they wanted to use it or access my data. Would I want the phone to be disabled in that case? Damn right I would, and I bet you would too. If you take it to an authorised apple repair centre they would pretty easily be able to establish if you were the genuine owner of the phone or not.

And anyway, what kind of repair are we talking about here? Yes, apple equipment does have a standard 1 year warranty but the UK Sale of Goods Act and the EU Consumer Rights Directive mean that apple - and all other manufacturers - have to repair or replace such goods for anywhere between 2 to 6 years. Apple replaced my iMac screen FOC, no quibbles that was 2.5 years post when I bought it. There was a case earlier this week in the UK where a guy used the same laws to get apple to replace his apple watch because the screen had cracked. Apple are no more or less special than any other manufacturer and in my experience have never tried to assert that they are.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

J.J.B. I agree with you on the security issue and it seems that is the line Apple is taking. But this ERROR only happens after the phone is updated with the latest iOS 9. So the coding for this, must have been deliberately installed by them to cause this problem.
Could Apple have not put out a warning that this would happen. Not everyone lives 5ft from an authorized apple repairer, like the guy in this article.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/f ... rty-repair

"A spokeswoman for Apple told Money (get ready for a jargon overload): “We protect fingerprint data using a secure enclave, which is uniquely paired to the touch ID sensor. When iPhone is serviced by an authorised Apple service provider or Apple retail store for changes that affect the touch ID sensor, the pairing is re-validated. This check ensures the device and the iOS features related to touch ID remain secure. Without this unique pairing, a malicious touch ID sensor could be substituted, thereby gaining access to the secure enclave. When iOS detects that the pairing fails, touch ID, including Apple Pay, is disabled so the device remains secure.”

She adds: “When an iPhone is serviced by an unauthorised repair provider, faulty screens or other invalid components that affect the touch ID sensor could cause the check to fail if the pairing cannot be validated. With a subsequent update or restore, additional security checks result in an ‘error 53’ being displayed … If a customer encounters an unrecoverable error 53, we recommend contacting Apple support.”

:cheers:
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Install Disk for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard?

Post by JamesWest »

Anybody know where I can buy or borrow a Install Disk for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard?

Thanks.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
Felipesed1
Professional
Professional

Post by Felipesed1 »

JamesWest wrote:Anybody know where I can buy or borrow a Install Disk for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard?

Thanks.
I have one. Version 10.6.3. Genuine apple DVD came with my iMac.

You can borrow it if you want.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

that would be great. where are you? i can pick it up or meet. i will buy you a beer. ) anytime is ok with me. can be tonight or anytime day or night this week. thanks.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
Felipesed1
Professional
Professional

Post by Felipesed1 »

How about Huahin Bar, soi 80,
1pm tomorrow?
My number is 0831380780.
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Re: Install Disk for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard?

Post by Bluesky »

JamesWest wrote:Anybody know where I can buy or borrow a Install Disk for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard?

Thanks.
Seems like you have it sorted. Just checked my iMac and noticed it has OS Xversion 10.6.8. Original Instal disc that came with it is marked OS X 10.5.6. PM me on the off chance if you need it.
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
MajorBloodnok
Suspended
Suspended

Post by MajorBloodnok »

Hello,

my wife bought an iPad.
Now I tried to register with Apple, but ended up in an infinite loop.

I filled in the personal details on page 1 of the registration.
Then I clicked on 'continue', and got page No. 2 with the boxes for the code.
I stored this page, and checked my email for the code.
When I went back to the stored Apple page to enter the code, I ended up on page No. 1 again!

Is anyone aware of this problem or knows how to solve it?

Thanks!

Kind regards,

MB aka 'Mike the Fritz'
A GRATEFUL GUEST OF THE KINGDOM OF THAILAND & HER PEOPLE
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

Hi MB, I'm not familiar with the code you're talking about. When you say you want to "register with apple", is this to create an AppleID or to register the iPad? I think AppleID codes are temporary so storing page 2 and then trying to reload it will push you back to page 1 as the system will not let you restart from page 2.

My recommendation is to create an AppleID separately, on another computer or device by going to https://appleid.apple.com and then using those credentials to log-in to the new iPad when setting it up.

Let me know if this doesn't work and I'd be happy to walk you through it over the phone or via skype etc. :thumb:
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

New Apple TV Runs a Kodi/XBMC Port: MrMC

Post by Ratsima »

I bought one of the new Apple TVs (AKA Apple TV 4) mainly so I could watch Netflix on our dumb TVs.

Soon after I bought it I found that a Kodi (XBMC) port was available on the ATV app store: MrMC. This is a very slick implementation of the familiar Kodi/XBMC media experience. Installation and setup were a snap. My media is stored on a volume shared via NFS and I have a shared MySQL media library. MrMC had no trouble connecting to either. The UI is snappy and responsive. Playback of HD video is flawless.

The touchscreen remote that comes with the ATV4 has been heavily criticized. Getting used to it is a bit of an effort; not unlike your first time using a mouse or trackpad. It's too touch-sensitive for this clumsy old man. I suspect a kid would take to it instantly. MrMC has a couple of system settings that compensate for the weirdness of the ATV remote. A nice touch.

The Apple TV supports CEC. I use a Logitech universal remote to control the TV, the Apple TV and MrMC.

For reasons that are not clear to me, the Apple TVs cost way more in Thailand than in the US. Most other Apple products cost about the same worldwide if you consider exchange rates and local taxes. The Apple Thai website claims that taxes are to blame, but I still don't understand why the ATV is taxed more heavily than other Apple imports. I intend to buy another ATV4, but I'll wait until I go to the US in order to get a better price….

Prior to getting the Apple TV I was running Kodi under OSMC on a Raspberry Pi and a Vero 1; possibly the worst piece of hardware I've ever purchased. I will be happy to repurpose the Raspberry Pi and never see the Vero again.

Granted, the Apple TV is a lot more expensive than other available media players, but I like the way it integrates with the rest of my Apple infrastructure. I'm sure not everyone would agree.