The Digital Surgery (computer questions/problems here)

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

Caller I had similar problems to what you had when my wifi router packed up. Using only a normal 4 port router I got heaps of viruses and started getting lots of spam emails.
I tried to get rid of the viruses but had no luck. I then remembered someone previously recommending AVG.

When using it, it seemed to get rid of all of the other viruses that the others did not. If you search on the net under "AVG Free", you can download the program for nothing and get all the ongoing updates.

I did also end up installing XP again to my machine at the same time, and then run the protection at night every day. It was not 100% sucessfull at fist, but in the end worked out OK.

I have since got another WIFI modem and got it all hooked up again, and since then have had no problems at all. From what I understand, the WIFI router has an extra firewall setting as well as the one that you get in XP.

Also something that I did not know until I spoke to Guess, was the need to set up your encryption settings on the WIFI router, so other people cannot tap into your system.

I have a student staying with us at present, and after speaking to Guess, checked his computer, and could see both the wireless network and my own compuetr.

So have now set it to the highest encryption level in the router security system and everyone who trys to get into it now has to have a password. If you still have your WIFI, I would advise that you do the same.

I have a Belkin WIFI Router (4 Port), so if yours is the same, and you do not know how to do it PM me and I will see if I can help.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Always Borrow Money from a Pesimist. "They Never Expect it Back"
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Thanks Chelsea, thats interesting.

It was actually the modem supplier that recommended AVG.

The wifi doesn't use a router, connects via a USB key, its a system callled, "Now" gradually being rolled out across the UK. Its good, but as I say, just had these problems in the last month or so.

Caller (still in an internet cafe).
Talk is cheap
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Back on line now and both the wifes and my laptop now linked to te modem. They are introducing air cards from February.

The engineer reckons my PC is okay, but very slow, recommends re-intalling xp again!
Talk is cheap
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

HELP!!!!!!!!

Bit of a coincidence that the last post is mine as started using my laptop again as the missus is back in LOS for a holiday and took hers with her. Been using mine okay for the last few days, its not operating properly, but okay when you get to the internet.

Went to use it this morning and this greeted me (eventually):

STOP: The registry cannot load the hive (file):
(All the following words are preceded by a backslash) - systemroot - system32 - config - SOFTWARE or its log or alternate. It is corrupt, absent, or not writeable.

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.

Contact sustem admin etc.......

Tried calling Dell who don't answer the phone on Saturday's so currently in an internet cafe, I've emailed Dell and will have to return tomorrow to see if there is an answer.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is it just replacing windows xp or should I be very afraid?

Thanks.
Talk is cheap
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

Caller, I have a similar problem but have not had the time to try and fix it 100%.

Try restarting the system, before the windows screen appears press F8 and it should give you a list of options on how to restart.

Try the option to restart with the last good configuration and see if it will come up again.

If it will not start like that, try doing it in safe mode, once it has finished loading close down completely and try normal retsrt again, most times it works on mine.
If I find a fix I will let you know
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Always Borrow Money from a Pesimist. "They Never Expect it Back"
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Thanks for that Chelsea, but I'm given both those options, but they don't work. The only thing I will try differently is pressing F8 first, thats all I have left. No fun sitting in the interent cafe!!!

Its amazing how addictive the internet is and with the missus away, life is a bit dull. Of course, I have heaps of spring cleaning to do, but I can't be assed this weekend - its too warm!

No reply yet from Dell. I guess their techies all have the w/e off? :guns:

I feel the pub calling :(
Talk is cheap
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Well, I'm back in the internet cafe again andstill no reply from frigging Dell! Absolutely hopeless!! I hope Buksida can view this soon?
Talk is cheap
buksida

Post by buksida »

Did it start in safe mode?

Have you recently installed any new hardware on it? If so remove it and try again.

Failing those you may need to re-install Windows using the restore CD provided by Dell. As long as you don't format it you wont lose your data.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Thanks Buksida, Dell have finally been in touch. I've done some testing forllowing their directions and it appears a hard drive error. They are now sending me some disks (3-4 days) to enable me, at their direction, to fix it. But I'll mention the above. I know I will lose data if the hard drive is a problem, they will take me back to the factory settings.

When I asked why I hadn't got disks when the laptop was delivered - it was all pre-installed, bar McAfree, they stated they only send them if asked!!!! How was I to know that? If I had them, I could be using my laptop now, instead, as they don't work weekends, having to wait until Monday!!! Anyone buying Dell, please note.
Talk is cheap
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Back on-line! :D

Luckily the disks arrivecd this morning. It wasn't the hard-disk, it was a software problem. A nice American working in India spent in total about 2 hours on the phone (their call) giving me step by step instructions to re-format everything. Even the internet now looks as it should!

I did lose everything though, but luckily had backed up a bit more than I thought, including the wedding photo's - phew!
Talk is cheap
buksida

Post by buksida »

Reviving this one since we have a few computer problems recently - post em here and we'll see what we can do.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

This thread doesn't seem to have been used for sometime for some reason or other but I'll have a go

Got a problem loading holiday dates in Outlook

It will put them in for 2007 but not 2008

I'm on office 2003

Any ideas?

Had the problem a couple of years back but my office was way out of date
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
elem
Professional
Professional

Post by elem »

Richard,
Office 2003 does not supply the holidays for more than 5 years -don't know if they can be 'imported" or downloaded somewhere...
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.[Benjamin Franklin]
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Cheers Elem but surely 5 years from 2003 includes 2008?

ps I must have wisdom cause I know nothing :D
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Not if you include 2003.

Also be aware that if you upgrade to Office 2007 in true Microsoft style its not backwards compatible so you have to "export" all of your documents to an earlier version if you want to open them in Office 2003 or send them to someone that doesn't use 2007.

:banghead: