AIS SMS credit refill scam?

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
buksida

AIS SMS credit refill scam?

Post by buksida »

Not sure what this actually is but twice in the last couple of weeks I have received a message from AIS saying that I have topped up my account (first 50 baht, second 200 baht) and the new balance. Now I have not done this so initially assumed someone else had done so by mistake.

A few moments later I get a message from 022719123 in Thai stating the number 0904460423 has added credit to my account by mistake. My suspicions were aroused as both messages (ten days apart) are from the same number, and my actual credit balance is what it should be without the spurious 'free top up'.

Anyone had similar or have any clues as to what is going on?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Re: AIS SMS credit refill scam

Post by Pleng »

Sounds to me like somebody (090460423) has wanted to transfer credit from their phone to one of their associates phone's and has entered your number by mistake. Presumably there's some process to recall erroneous transactions and reverse the transfer, which has happened here. Both messages being from the same number makes sense, and they should both have originated from AIS.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Possible but making the same mistake to the same number twice is dumber than dumb!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: AIS SMS credit refill scam?

Post by dtaai-maai »

It doesn't sound like much of a scam to me!
AIS Call Centre?
This is the way
buksida

Post by buksida »

With all the phishing that has been going on the scam (if it was one) would be to get the recipient to reconnect to the dodgy number which then gains access to the target phone. Nigerian email scam on mobiles?

I'd get more sense by calling the Sepilok Orangutan rehab center than AIS.

Maybe I'm just being overly paranoid lately ... at least that's what they're saying ... :duck:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

buksida wrote: Maybe I'm just being overly paranoid lately ... at least that's what they're saying ... :duck:

You mean the voices in your head? I find talking things out with my imaginary friend helps.
This is the way
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

buksida wrote:

A few moments later I get a message from 022719123 in Thai stating the number 0904460423 has added credit to my account by mistake. My suspicions were aroused as both messages (ten days apart) are from the same number, and my actual credit balance is what it should be without the spurious 'free top up'.

Anyone had similar or have any clues as to what is going on?
Could be a simple mistake :idea: . . . . . . . . . then again, twice? :twisted:

I'm pretty sure the number you got the messages from (022719123) is Mumbai based.
Do AIS outsource to India's call centres?
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

buksida Try this site, scroll down the list and you will find the 090#

http://www.okcaller.com/0904460423

Nothing showing on the listing address.

The 022# seems to pop up a lot on google.

This shows German numbers???

https://translate.google.co.uk/translat ... rev=search

:?
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The 02 is the Bangkok fixed line code for calling within Thailand. 090* is a TRUE cell phone access code for within Thailand.

Edit: * I have 090 on True but I think we moved the number over from DTAC a few years ago. So, perhaps the code was originally assigned to DTAC?
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I read an article from the Middle East a while back where fraudsters had been obtaining mobile phone credit by deception, based on non-existent competitions and then selling it on at a discount, perhaps this is something similar.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

buksida wrote:Possible but making the same mistake to the same number twice is dumber than dumb!
If you write it down wrong in the first place then you're gonna make the mistake as many times as it takes to realise you still don't have any credit :)