Email provider

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Scout
Professional
Professional

Re: Email provider

Post by Scout »

For many people, this is actually a two or three part decision process.
1). Which email provider to choose (gmail, yahoo, Microsoft, iCloud, etc, etc)
2). How to access, read and manage your email once you choose and setup an account with a provider.
3). Decision to go with the providers free offering, or pay extra for more features and storage capacity.

For most people, (and me), the free offering is more than sufficient, and can usually be upgraded to a paid account if the future need arises.

Most of the major providers (gmail, yahoo, Microsoft, iCloud, etc) are adequate and mostly equal in features, security, reliability and capacity of their free offerings. Yes, some have had recent highly reported security breaches, but none of them are immune to security hacks / issues and I believe most if not all have experienced these issues at some point in the past. The good thing is once one of these companies has and reports a security problem, there is tremendous incentive for them to fix the issue, these are mostly all public companies fighting for market share, I believe none of them are willing to commit business suicide by ignoring and not fixing security issues. I use gmail primarily but also have a Microsoft account (both outlook dot com and hotmail) as well as an iCloud account.

Probably the biggest decision point is how to access, read, write and manage your email. The easiest but least powerful and most clunky way is to simply sign into your account by using your internet browser to go to their internet webpage, enter your account I'd and password each time. I only use this method when traveling and forced to check email on a device I don't own, such as an Internet cafe or hotel business center. This method is called "webmail", regardless of which provider you use.

Many people (like me) use an email application installed on their device, configure it to access the account the signed up for with a provider, then instead of going to the providers webpage, simply launch the email client application program. The program then automatically logs into your account, displays your email, allows you to read and write email, and easily provides powerful capabilities such as search. When you configure your client application software to access your account, you also must decide to use either IMAP or POP3, there are pros and cons to each. I use Microsoft Outlook on my PC to access my gmail account using IMAP. I use the built in app that came on my iPad and iPhone to access the same gmail account.

You can google more info on imap versus pop3. Here is a good link.
https://www.howtogeek.com/99423/email-w ... -exchange/

One word of caution, when setting up Outlook to access an email provider, you need to configure it properly (extra steps) or you could find yourself unable to access your email, calendars, contacts, etc if you ever need to rebuild your computer. It's not difficult to avoid this problem, but it is a bit more of a technical discussion than I want to get into here.
Hope this helps...
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Hope this helps...
Yes, thanks very much, Jesse.

My first problem is that Techemail.com is a plain Web based email. They have blocked me from sending, but can still receive. I can still open the inbox and all of the folders containing email, but I cannot find a way to migrate them to ANYWHERE else. Up until yesterday they were showing a link to purchase an upgrade, but apart from the first day that the link was posted, it has never worked. I have sent emails to them but no response. I cannot find anything on the help or option pages when I have my email open.
ALERT: TERMINATION OF FREE WEB MAIL SERVICE 
Everyone.net will end free access to your web mail account on Thursday, March 23rd, 2017. At this time you will no longer be able to read or send mail using your free web mail account. Prior to this on Thursday, February 23rd, 2017 your account will have it's ability to send mail through web mail disabled. You will still be able to receive and read your messages until March 23rd, 2017. After that date your account access will be disabled and all messages deleted.

This change is part of our ongoing efforts to reduce email abuse and improve security. Thank you for choosing Everyone.net. 
Updated: 01/31/17
It seems to me that having some form of "client" on my computer to access a new email provider is a good option, but I only know what is in the link you have posted. Have you any experience with "Thunderbird"? Is it difficult to set up?
I no longer use email for business, but would prefer not to get into this situation again. :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Nereus wrote: Have you any experience with "Thunderbird"? Is it difficult to set up?
Hi Nereus,

I've been using Thunderbird for years and, although it could be a bit complicated to set up previously, it's very easy now.
I have multiple email accounts, so it makes life very easy. It automatically downloads you emails at regular intervals, which you can set yourself - my advice is go for it!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Thanks very much Barry. :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!